Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference. Learn more about this message
Getting There
Michelline
Accepted Solution

Snow on the dish will stop the satellite Signal getting thru.

I have had  No satellite signal for 5 hours and tried all the self help steps recommended by sky, LNB setting, checked the wires unplugged the sky box nothing, i have a small dish with twin LNB feeding two Sky Boxes, the strange thing was the one box in the living downstairs was fine but the one in the bedroom was not, so i swapped boxes, cables nothing still the sky box in the bedroom was not receiving the satellite signal, this is how i found this forum looking for tips someone mentioned ice on the dish and for sure when i checked my dish was covered in snow so i scrapped it off and poured hot water on it plugged my sky box back in and voila its working, i must mention my dish is right by my bedroom window upstairs, if you can,t have access to your dish easily please leave this to be sorted by the Sky man.

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
El Capo
Kenneth+M

Re: Snow on the dish will stop the satellite Signal getting thru.

Just to add a small warning.  Please make sure the digibox is switched OFF at the mains power supply when connecting/disconnecting cables at the back of the box, and when you are using water to clean off the dish.  Dish LNB's are powered from the digibox, so make sure the box is OFF at the mains, please. 

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
I'm New Here
THSC04646

Snow falling off my roof has snapped the bracket holding the LNB in place. Where can I get a replacement? Will Sky charge me for supply and fit?

El Capo
Kenneth+M

Yes they will.  The usual £65 callout.  Why wait till after Christmas for them to appear ( probably )?  Phone your local sat tv installation company.  Or go to Maplins ( eg ) for a replacement, and DIY it.

Getting There
EstherLewis

Since yesterday I have had this problem and it is annoying. Not only can't I watch Sky TV, but all of my recordings are disabled too. What has happened to my SKY HD+ box. Ive tried everything but to no avail! 

I don't know if this is due to the adverse weather conditions we are all experiencing at this time, but I'm paying a lot of money to watch nothing!

Getting There
Essex+Twirly

I LIVE IN ROMFORD ESSEX, AND I HAVE NO SIGNAL, AND NO WAY TO ACCESSS MY STORED ITEMS IN MY PLANNER,

I TELEPHONED SKY, THEY TOLD US TO DO A FEW THINGS, WAIT 20MINS, HHHHHHHHHHHAY PRESTO BACK IT CAME SO DONT GIVE UP.

Getting There
Essex+Twirly

PHONE SKY, THEY FIXED MINE

Super User
caesarome

EstherLewis wrote:

I don't know if this is due to the adverse weather conditions we are all experiencing at this time, but I'm paying a lot of money to watch nothing!

It ciould be because the snow could have got onto the lnb part, can you see if there is any snow on your dish ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Getting There
Dave+QPR

...suddenly lost reception on ALL channels around midday today. Got very frustrated trying all the various tricks listed on SKY's help pages and from other web searches. Eventually found a reference to snow on the dish being a potential problem. So got out my long - handled mop, doused in warm water and swished the dish. I'd switched everything off beforehand and when everything was switched back on again, lo and behold, the signal's back (3.15pm, so just in time for 4pm footy!). 5 minutes work.

Worth a try if you have snow, or perhaps ice on your dish.  :smileylol:

Getting There
Granddad+Graham

Its true about snow / ice affecting the signal. I had an error code 25 telling me that my satellite receiver was not receiving a signal. I looked and saw that the arm from the bottom of the dish, which protrudes forward, was covered in a layer of snow that had turned to ice. Of course, that means it is blocking the signal from bouncing from the dish to the receiver at the end of the arm.

I was able to safely lean out of the window and use a watering can of warm (not hot) water to thaw the ice. Sure enough, my signal immediately returned!!