Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference. Learn more about this message
Explorer
andrewman

Re: Slow Broadband download speeds

I had my broadband installed yesterday 17/3/11, i was told i would get 4mbps, i get less than this.  My speedtest at best gives 3.60mbps, this is terrible, I changed fro virgin media, thinking i would get  upto 20MB, now i have moved to sky I get a terrible speed, and makes me think advert for upto 20mb is false advertising, at least with virgin I got very close to my 10 mbps, as advertised.   I am totally dissapointed with sky broadband.:smileymad:

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Staff
Malcolm-M

Hi andrewman, was the estimated access line speed given to you when you were sold Sky Broadband 4 Mbps? Have you tried the troubleshooting here?

Malcolm-M
Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Explorer
andrewman

Thanks for reply, much appreciated.

The initial test done Friday said 3.6Mbps,when I purchased sky I was told in writing Line speed between 10-20 Mbps.

BT phone engineer who installed new phone line said I would probably only get 4Mbps, as others he had installed.

But then today Saturday 19th march I have done two tests, whilst cable attached not wireless, first speed check said 11.20 Mbps down, 0.79 up, second test just done shows, 12.61 Mbps down and .80 up speeds, test done using closest to my home in Nottingham, server was in Birmingham about 80 miles away I believe. In hindsight I moaned to soon. maybe it is the wireless speed that is slow and not cable attached speeds. I am happy again with the speeds, as long as they keep up around 10 or over.

Thanks again for your reply and help. I do appreciate it. Thanks:smileyvery-happy:

Staff
Malcolm-M

Hi andrewman, glad to hear it's faster. Have you tried adjusting the wireless channel number as interference from other nearby networks can often impact wireless speed. You can find the setting by going to http://192.168.0.1 and logging in with admin then sky, click on setup once you are logged in.

Malcolm-M
I'm New Here
geff

ADSL Link

Downstream Upstream Connection Speed Line Attenuation Noise Margin
4096 kbps796 kbps
56.0 dB26.8 dB
5.7 dB7.8 dB

why do thay seem to say to all where to far away from exchange when we all seem to get same speed

I'm New Here
Joanna+Lloyd

I am having the same problem, since I have had sky put in, I have never achieved speeds over 1.2 mbps, now, there are countless line faults and I am only getting 128kbps, With bt and virgin being able to put fibre lines in, why is it then that sky are not following suit and leasing fibre lines off bt in order to keep up with the competition. Openreach spend more time sat in their van at the street cabinet than actually fixing faults, and I am left with a connection that is reminiscent of 1991. Shocking......... I am unable to use youtube, the kids cannot use their ps3 online, and anything that involves streaming etc, not a chance. There is no way that this is value for money.

I am an extremely disgruntled customer and would like this sorted soonest, since i very much doubt that this complies with ofcoms code of practice.

False advertising for starters.

I'm New Here
randomskyclient

Hi sky

Ever since I joined you I have been receiving slow download speeds but have only contacted you once by telephone. When I did this a helper checked my speeds and took me to command prompt where she told me to type some commands in. She read the final outcome and said to delete some programs like torrents and skype. I deleted my torrent programs but I did not want to delete skype and didn't think I needed to considering nearly all the people that I know with other broadband providers have skype and continue to get impecable download speeds. When I look on the router information it comes up with perfectly normal download and upload speeds.

Modem Status DownStream Connection Speed UpStream Connection Speed VPI VCI
Connected
1024 kbps
604 kbps

But when I download something it appears with considerably lower speeds.

The highest transfer rate I have seen is 106KBps for downloading a videos which my friend can download in 5 minutes but it takes me 25 minutes if I am lucky. Please help and reply ASAP to me soon.

from Ashraf

Staff
Robert

Hi Ashraf, 

In order to assist further can you provide the following information regarding your set-up?

Can you confirm that your router is connected to the master socket and have you completed the Slow Connection troubleshooting steps on our Help Centre? this will ensure your router is connected up to get the best possible connection from your line.

Please also provide the following stats:

1. Log onto the router by visitinghttp://192.168.0.1
  2. When prompted enter the username: admin & password: sky (in lower case)
  3. Scroll down and click on the Show Statistics button.
  4. Copy and Paste the contents of the window that opens up into a reply to this post.

I'm New Here
ronald+beckett

I'm New Here
TRAN

Hi Robert / Sky
I've read all the issue regard slow download speed, i've try everything but seem to not work. Im on 20MB UNLIMITED, my phone line tested speed can run up to 10-20MB, when broadband first connected download speed able up to 1000KB for only fews day then after that its drop down at max speed of 300KB. Please help advise if sky can re-set my download speed.
ROUTER STATISTICS

System Up Time: 0:30:22
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 59442 84919 0 1593276 17959772 0:29:16
LAN Up 718 1 0 197199 64 0:30:22
WLAN Up 90100 64329 0 127247694 5608189 0:30:03
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 3069 kbps 393 kbps
Line Attenuation 29.5 dB 17.1 dB
Noise Margin 11.4 dB 9.5 dB
Poll Interval: (secs, at least 3s)
I'm New Here
TRAN

Hi sorry i got mix up with KB and MB. My broadband is 20MB unlimited and home phone line tested speed mmenable download 10-20MBj When broadband first connected download upto 10MB speed, and now has drop down to 3000KB, this is set it in my service detail page. Im very dissappointed as the broadbanhd service not even half or even quarter of what it is say should be before I sign up with Sky Broadband. Please help...below is detail from my service detail page

My account summary
Tran Nguyen

Your Sky Broadband
Sky Broadband Unlimited

Your Sky Talk
Sky Talk Unlimited
View my package details
Upgrade my package
Store & Share

Store & Share helps keep files safe and secure. You can enjoy 1 GB of storage space (approximately 500 photos) for free.

More on Store & Share
Service details

Your Sky Broadband
You have Sky Broadband Unlimited which offers a maximum download speed of up to 20Mb
Speed Estimate
When you purchased Sky Broadband, we estimated that the maximum download speed for your line was: 10-20Mb
Broadband speeds explained
Help Centre
Connection details

Your connection details
Line connection testing completed on 18/07/2011
Download Speed
Your connection has been set to a download speed of up to
3.0Mb (3072Kb)
Upload Speed
Your connection has been set to an upload speed of up to
0.6Mb (608Kb)
Get the most from your connection
Broadband speeds explained
Stay safe online

Find out how to protect yourself and your family as well as your computer, email and files at our Security Centre - your one-stop-shop for security advice and services.
More on staying safe online

Getting There
paulmckandless

[ Edited ]

my broadband is pretty slow, im on sky unlimted, could anyone tell me if there is any room for improvement with these statistics, i have done all the basic checks that is on the advice page, and my router is plugged into the test socket via a filter

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time WAN MER 1381452 1415512 0 165006373 604822202 13:03:54 LAN Up 1338381 1333670 0 507925009 163323847 13:04:39 WLAN Up 88484 56879 0 106504627 8634603 13:04:20 ADSL Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed 2045 kbps 604 kbps Line Attenuation 67.5 dB 43.4 dB Noise Margin 8.2 dB 9.0 dB Poll Interval: (secs, at least 3s)

I'm New Here
gmiddlemas

Hi,

I am also experiencing really slow broadband averaging around 200kb and is often feels like paying for the service is pointless as I cannot connect to the internet. I have tried all the trouble shooting pages, but have yet to call SKY as it feels like I am calling them every week to get something fixed or complain.

From the master box I have a filter which my router is connected to plus a two way adapter containing my phone and sky box cables. My computer is connected wirelessly to my router and from 192.168.0.1 I obtained the following information,

Connection Status

Connection Time Connecting to Server Negotiation Authentication Getting IP Address Getting Network Mask
0:46:44
Connected.
MER
AUTO

Any help would be appreciated as my confidence in SKY is at an all time low and looking into a new ISP is my next step.

Regards,

Gmiddlemas

Staff
Robert

Hi Guys, 

In order to assist further with your speed issues please confirm the following information:

When prompted, enter the username: admin & password: sky (in lower case)

Scroll down and click on the Show Statistics button.

Copy & Paste the contents of the window that opens up into a reply to this post.

We're looking at the Downstream Noise Margin figure, if this is sitting between 6.5 db and 7.5 db then your line is running as fast as it can based on your current set-up. I'd recommend connecting your router to the master/test socket to ensure it gets the best possible connection.

If your noise margin is above 7.5 db, this indicates that you have more speed available and you need to contact us to have your line re-profiled to increase the connection speed.

If your noise margin is below 6.5 db, then your line may be running too fast or there may be a problem with your set-up, we recommend following our Slow Connection Troubleshooting Guide to ensure you have everything connected up properly.

Thanks,

I'm New Here
darren+hooson

i am having a simillar problem, alhtough, my download speeds average out at around 30kb/s. the lowest i have had whislt with sky was 4kb/s and the highest was around 60kb/s.

i am also on the package with the estimated download speed of 4 mb/s, will sky help if i call them?