Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
MrsWhit

Sky+ remote turns TV onto 'analogue' - black screen

Hi,

I can't find this problem elsewhere on the boards so hoping someone can help me...

This problem is intermittent, it can all work fine for days and then keep on happening.

When I press TV guide on the remote, the tv guide menu flashes up for a second but then in the top right corner of the screen (Sony Bravia) 'Analogue 1' appears, then get grey fizzy screen for a second, then tv screen goes black, just with 01 in top right corner. Sky+ box stays on during all this. I have to turn it off and back on to get back to the last channel we were watching but can't press any of the menu buttons without this happening. Volume +/- and channel +/- buttons work fine.

Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
Stantheman2k12

Re: Sky+ remote turns TV onto 'analogue' - black screen

Hi. Have you tried a different cable or plugging it in a different input on your tv. Also what sky + box do you have?
If I Or Anyone Has Helped Please Kudos. If Your Problem Is Solved Please Click On Accept As Solution.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
MrsWhit

Hi, Stan - the box is a Thomson one. I haven't tried a different cable or input - should I? I might need talking through it! Thanks.

Super User
Stantheman2k12

Would be best to try to rule the cable out as a fault. Is it a white sky plus box?
If I Or Anyone Has Helped Please Kudos. If Your Problem Is Solved Please Click On Accept As Solution.
MrsWhit

Yes, it's a white sky+ box. When you say the cable, you mean the one going between the tv and the box, right? Sorry, new to all this! 

Super User
Stantheman2k12

Yes that's the one (scart cable) try it in a different socket on your tv( if your tv has more than 1) or try a different cable. Also on the back of the sky box ensure the scart cable is plugged into the correct scart slot. One says tv and other says video. Ensure it's in the tv one
MrsWhit

Scart seems to be fine, plugged into the right sockets but the box has now switched itself off and won't turn back on - not sure if this is a related or separate problem? Any ideas? Appreciate your help.

Super User
Stantheman2k12

With it been a Thompson it has known faults for the power supply to fail (sounds like this is happening to yours). How long have you had the box?
MrsWhit

A couple of years ish... sounds like it's on it's way out (of the window at this rate!)

Super User
Stantheman2k12

I know your frustration. I've had one before. I suggest contacting sky and explaining to them and that it has now stuck on standby. Mention it's a Thompson and had known faults they will/ should replace this free of charge
Retired Staff Member
Anne-M

Mi MrsWhit, 

It sounds like the macro settings in the remote control (the one that controls what the TV Guide, Box Office, Services and Interactive do) are not working correctly. 

To resolve the remote control setting, can I ask you to try the following procedure:

• Point remote away from tv and press TV.
  • Press and hold down select and green simultaneously until red light at top of remote flashes twice.
  • Press select.
  • The LED at top of remote flashes twice to confirm it has accepted the change. 

This will only work if you have the scart connected to the TV from TV scart on the sky box, and the scart cable is connected to input 1 on the TV. 

Can you let me know how you get on with this?

Thanks, 

Anne
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
MrsWhit

Hi Anne-M,

Thanks for this but my remote now seems to not work. The little red light on the remote is working but nothing is happening on the sky+ box / tv. Any ideas? I am however on the sky start up channel... Thanks

Super User
Stantheman2k12

Have you pressed sky button on the remote to control the sky box?
MrsWhit

Yes, but nothing changes. The only buttons on the remote that seem to work are the volume ones. 

Super User
Stantheman2k12

Try taking one battery out of the remote and hold select for 60 seconds. Can you change channel using the box?