Sky+ playback/recording not working - do I really need to do a full system reboot?

Runner
Post 1 of 9

Sky+ playback/recording not working - do I really need to do a full system reboot?

My sky+ recording/playback stopped working last night so I switched the box off overnight hoping that would help, but it didn't.  Called tech support this morning who had me carry out housekeeping process but this didn't work.  They have told me I'll need to do a full system reboot which will erase everything in my planner Smiley Mad.  Is there any way around this as it's going to mean a lot of sitting in front of my pc watching catch-up tv (if some of them are still on catch up)  Not happy.

All Replies
Oracle
Post 2 of 9

Re: Sky+ playback/recording not working - do I really need to do a full system reboot?

There may not be a way around it. Can you expand on playback/recording not working? What happened when you tried to play back a recording, or record something new? Were there any error messages?

Runner
Post 3 of 9

Re: Sky+ playback/recording not working - do I really need to do a full system reboot?

Thanks Mark.  If I try to pause or record it brings up a box with the message "System Fault.  sky+ playback & recording are unavailable" & if I try to go into my planner via the green button, there's nothing there.

Executive Producer
Post 4 of 9

Runner
Post 5 of 9

Hi Kato

Yes, we tried that but it just kept sending me back to the main rebuild menu.

Executive Producer
Post 6 of 9

Okay carry out this procedure only do the second part if you have to because you will lose your recordings.

1. Power the box off at the mains power supply.

3. Locate the backup button on the front/top of the box.

4. Press and hold in the Backup button, and while doing this switch the box back on at the mains supply.

5. Continue to hold the Backup button after you have powered on, you should see within 60 seconds 3 more lights come on the front of the box? At this stage you can release the Backup button.

6. If you have 4 lights lit, it means the box is going through the forced download procedure. Leave for 15 minutes then try to see if your Issue is resolved.

If that fails then the next step will be a front panel reset (This will reformat the hard drive losing all saved recordings):

1. Power the box off at the mains power supply.

2. Locate the left and right arrow buttons either side of the select button on the front/top of the box.

3. Press and hold both the left and right arrow buttons in together, and while holding power the box back on and continue to hold the buttons after the red light comes back on.

4. Continue to hold the buttons, you should see within 60 seconds, the blue/green circle light in the centre of the box light up a full circle.

5. Let go the buttons then press select button on the box twice.

6. You should see the blue/green circle light moving anti-clockwise and the record and play lights in the centre flashing on/off.

7. Once the lights go off, the box will have rebooted and you will now only have the red standby light lit on the box.

8. If you can now wait 2 minutes before switching the box back on from standby to see if the fault has resolved

Oracle
Post 7 of 9

Sounds like either hard disk failure or corruption, or possibly a problem with your Sky account, though if it was the latter, I'd have thought they would have picked that up when you spoke to them.

As you're keen not to lose your recordings, it might be worth another call to Sky to see if you get to speak to a more clued-up rep. who will take a look at your account.

If it's a corrupt hard drive, the system reset may fix it at the expense of your recordings.

Researcher
Post 8 of 9

i wonder if this is my problem? when we play recordings back the picture is kind of scrambled, we just got a new t.v. and upgraded to HD with no problem. it is definitely the recordings that are affected - live t.v. is fine. we only have 22% of space left on the sky+ so could it be that the hard drive is too full? (we had loads of problems relating to that with a thompson box - which i do NOT recommend to anyone!)

Executive Producer
Post 9 of 9

joolsinan wrote:

i wonder if this is my problem? when we play recordings back the picture is kind of scrambled, we just got a new t.v. and upgraded to HD with no problem. it is definitely the recordings that are affected - live t.v. is fine. we only have 22% of space left on the sky+ so could it be that the hard drive is too full? (we had loads of problems relating to that with a thompson box - which i do NOT recommend to anyone!)

Have you checked your signal strengths and carried out a planner rebuid?

Press services on your Sky remote control,right arrow to settings and select,then right arrow to signal.

http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/tv/sky-plus-hd/recording/guide-to-performing-a-planner-rebuild/

Recommended Threads
11-04-2018 05:39 PM
27-04-2018 01:07 PM
18-03-2018 02:25 PM
02-04-2018 11:08 PM
24-04-2018 08:32 PM