Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
HTW
Regular Visitor
HTW

Sky go with windows 8.1

Like many other user's who have upgarded to 8.1 and lost sky go is nit not about time Sky sorted this problem, since around Janurary this year it's been impossible to buy a Windows PC or laptop that did not use the windows 8 OS ! So here we are some 9 months later with the problem unresolved. To me this demonstrates how Sky treat customers. So come on Sky your running add's on TV promting Sky go telling people they can watch sky go on their laptop/PC but this may not be the case !!! 

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Community Coordinator
Andy-F21

Re: Sky go with windows 8.1

I know our Sky Go users are keen to see it supported on Windows 8 operating systems HTW, we are to! I can clarify our current position on this.

At present, we have no plans to support these operating systems due to compatibility issues with the version of the media player we use to power Sky Go (Silverlight).

It's always our goal to provide Sky Go on as many platforms as possible to allow as many of our customers to use this service, and we are continually working to bring this to new operating systems and devices.

I will pass your comments on regarding this, and understand the inconvenience this causes. If you ever need anything in future, please don't hesitate to get back in touch as we're happy to help.

Thanks,

Andy
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
rscott

@HTW - I believe Andy-F1 may have been mistaken and misread your post as to referring to Windows RT / Phone 8 , not the 'full fat' Windows 8.x .

Sky have stated that Windows 8.1 will be supported in the future - please see this post http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Go-on-PC-Laptop-Mac/OS-and-Browser-Support/td-p/1308701 from a Community Manager confirming that 8.1 and OSX Mavericks will be supported.
Community Coordinator
Andy-F21

Thanks for bringing that to my attention rscott, I probably should have been clearer in my original post to HTW, please accept my apologies.

We are looking at the challenges that these compatibility issues are causing, and it is our aim to work on supporting new operating systems. However, at the moment, we are in the early stages of getting testing arranged for this, which is why we can not make any guarantees as to support. As soon as we do have any more info on new operating systems being supported, we'll let you know what they are.

Apologies again to HTW as I can see that this was a bit more vague in my original response.

Like I say, if you need anything further, please let me know and a member of our Community will help out.

Thanks,

Andy
Community Coordinator

Super User
rscott

Andy-F21, I read that post as stating that Sky will (not MAY) be adding support Windows 8+ and Mavericks, but didn't commit to a timescale.

If that isn't part of the long term plan, then it's tantamount to saying that Sky Go will only be for mobile devices as only maybe 5% of the new PCs & Macs on sale at the moment run one of the currently supported operating systems ( Windows 7).
Community Coordinator
Andy-F21

My bad rscott!

Our target is to support these operating systems in future and this is what we're building our testing capability towards. Once we have the results of this testing, we'll be in a better position to comment on the specifics of supporting these operating system.

Thanks,

Andy
Community Coordinator

Occasional Visitor
belles05

I have just recently come across this problem with windows 8.1 after a update,  my question is  If sky is aware of this problem why was I told  by a sky representative If i updated to skygo extra this problem would be solved, and how many more sky customers are going to get duped with this information, fortunately I refused to update and decided to google the problem and found this forum. I totally agree with others that say what laptop etc can you buy today without windows 8 version and that your advertisement saying customers can use skygo anywhere is very inaccurate. Also on your Skygo home page is very misleading because of the upgrade to 8.1 windows the system is not recognising the laptop now and a message is saying " Sorry you have already registered maximum devices this month, If you have 2 devices registered you can add 2 more by upgrading to skygo extra"  so how many people have upgraded and got nowhere, the message that should be there should state if your device has upgraded to 8.1 windows that it is now no longer compatitable, I am not disputing that you are having problems with the windows 8.1 but how you are treating your customers is wrong and your representatives should be made aware of this problem and not try selling more bundles to your customers.

HTW
Regular Visitor
HTW

To me it's inconceivable that a company as large as Sky had not prepared their software for the oncoming of windows 8, it's not as if Microsoft kept it secret ! It's also inconceivable that a company as large as Sky have some 9 months later not got a fix in place. Given that Sky are currently running adverts for Sky go   without giving a mention to the win 8 problem then maybe a complain to  Advertising Standards would be in order !!!

Community Coordinator
Andy-F21

Thanks for taking the time to join and post on our Community belles05. I can see why these issues with Sky Go would cause frustration, as well as the advice provided by my colleague when you called.

The Windows 8.1 operating system isn't currently supported which is why you are seeing these issues occur with the registered devices.

That being said, it should never have been the case that we tried to upgrade to Sky Go Extra without asking the relevant questions in terms of the devices you were using, and for this I apologise. I will pass your comments on.

Once again, sorry for any inconvenience caused by this. If you ever need anything else in future, let me know and I'll be more than happy to help.

Thanks,

Andy
Community Coordinator

Community Coordinator
Andy-F21

Thanks for coming back to us on this HTW, I can totally understand your comments on this as it is a very up and coming operating system.

We are always working to bring Sky Go to new operating systems, and our development team are looking in to testing of newer operating systems going forward. In some cases, we're unable to do this prior to the release of the operating system.

If you have any other questions, or need anything else at all, give me a shout and I can help out again.

Thanks,

Andy
Community Coordinator