Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
London101
Accepted Solution

Sky go And HDMI

Trying to use Sky Go in hotels by linking Ipad to TV via HDMI. Sound fine but saying HDMI out not supported ???? Is this on purpose or am I doing something wrong....doesnt seem logical that I can see fine on the ipad but not port pictuire to TV screen......

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
caesarome

Re: Sky go And HDMI

Sky have disabled the ability to do this as they do not hold the rights allowing the content to be broadcast via a tv in this way.
__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Occasional Visitor
London101

Thank you for the prompt reply. Do you know if this is something that Sky intend to address or is this a deficiencey that will persist ?

Community Coordinator
Robert

Hi London101, 

Welcome to the Sky Help Forum, unfortuantely there are no plans to enable HDMI output for Sky Go on mobile devices and tablets as our agreements in place with rights holders does not allow for this.

I hope this helps.

Robert
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Occasional Visitor
London101

Thank you.
Occasional Visitor
Big+sky+user

Given the scale of the limitation and that you can use hdmi Ouput from other equipment such as laptops why don't you take steps to amend the licence agreement ?

Regular Visitor
Tanya+Pearson

Come on Sky, answer the question above.

And also please tell me what the difference is between me tethering my iPad to my phone and connecting this to a TV to watch Sky Go and me tethering my laptop to my phone and connecting this to a TV to watch Sky Go? Both would end up with the same result, a happy customer who can watch Sky on a larger tv when they are out and about.

You are putting restrictions in place with Sky Go on mobile devices that just do not make sense when you consider you can use a PC (e.g. no HDMI output, cant run on jailbroken or rooted devices, limited android devices supported) which will do everything you cannot do on a tablet or phone due to "contractual reasons". You have also used the incorrect excuse that a jailbroken or rooted device is not secure and could pass out sky usernames and passwords. If this is the case then why do you allow the Sky+, Sky Bet and all the other apps that require usernames and passwords to be entered to run on modified devices?

Your actions are only going to cause people to look for "alternative" options to watch programs on their portable devices and these "alternatives" will end up losing you customers in the long run. Give the customer who pay for your service the nice and simple option and they will be happy and not look elsewhere and find cheaper or free alternatives

Gary

Occasional Visitor
dan1980UTID

Come on Sky this is a complete fudge. I can load sky go on my laptop over wifi in a hotel, using either HDMI or SVGA I can plug that into a flat screen and watch my paid for subscription...But I can't do that from my IPAD...WHAT's THE DIFFERENCE!!! Sky (Don't believe in better)
Occasional Visitor
Mr+Hackenbacker

I couldn't agree more!  It is even more galling because I CAN watch other tv on-demand services via my iPad's HDMI connector, and I don't pay anything like as much for these services as I pay Sky.  The search for alternatives is under way.

Visitor
juicyorange

Funny how "Robert" is not replying.

This doesn't make sense in the slightest. There must be a way round it! If people's voicemails can be hacked easily, then this must be possible!!!

Frequent Contributor (Bronze)
Tracy+Mansfield

Very well said Juicy Orange .
Frequent Contributor (Bronze)
Tracy+Mansfield

You ipad users should be pleased you can use sky go. Android tablet users have no saport at all.
Contributor
smartpulse

Agree completely and to post in the android forum rubbing our noses in it.
Occasional Visitor
Bethandsean

What would the difference be hooking sky go from a laptop to a tv though hdmi than doin it on an ipad just don't make sence tbh, I just use the laptop in the bedroom hooked to the tv via hdmi, way I see it, it would be the same using an ipad,  so ipad stet now only used away from home.

Retired Staff Member
JRT1991

[ Edited ]

Bethandsean

You can use the iPad at home, you just can't connect it to a TV. So it is ideal for viewing in a room that doesn't have a Sky Box.

The difference is a contractual one that the content owners place on us regarding the distribution of content. It is an unfortunate one, but we are legally obligated to conform. The reason that PCs are not included in this, is that it is not possible to block HDMI on these devices and this is recognised under the contacts that we have.

I know the team here are constantly reviewing contracts and trying to get the best deal for our customers as we can. Should the situation change in the future we will be sure to let you know.

Joshua
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.