Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
Dasco01

Sky and Skype

Before signing up with Sky for broadband etc., I used a Belkin router and I was able to access Skype. However with the Sky setup I’m not able to do this. My question is: If I revert to the Belkin will I be able to use Skype or is there something in the Sky system that will not allow this?

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Occasional Visitor
rockvsy2j2004

Re: Sky and Skype

Technically you could revert back to the belkin router however you would need to first find a way of using that. Sky dont allow you to use any router but the one they provide as per the terms and conditions. Why cant you use skype and this should work fine under the sky connection.

============================

If you feel I have been helpful click the pink star under my name.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Occasional Visitor
bobandpat

Hi, I can't use Skype either.

Wonder if there's anyone out there can help us.

Community Coordinator
Robert

Hi Guys, if you are having trouble using Skype can you tell me what's happening, are you seeing any particular error messages or is this only affecting specific features within the Skype application such as audio or video calling.

Skype should work with Sky Broadband as we do not block or restrict this. Please provide as much information as possible to help us identify the issue however do not post any personally identifiable information such as your e-mail address or Skype username when replying as this is a public forum and information posted can be viewed by anyone.

Robert
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Occasional Visitor
Otts

When using Skype, the connection is very slow when using video calling. I get the other persons picture no problem but they don't get mine.   When they do eventually get the picture, it keeps freezing or breaking up and after a while it settles down. I've checked the speed of our broadband connection and it's Downstream 12286kbps and Upstream 1102kbps.

Community Coordinator
Robert

Hi Otts, thanks for that, from the connection information you have posted the speed of your connection both downstream and upstream should not be causing any issues, are you only experiencing this issue when video calling the same person or is this happening if you video call other people?

Robert
Community Coordinator

Occasional Visitor
Otts

I have the same problem with everyone I video call on skype.

Community Coordinator
Robert

Thanks for that Otts, are you using a wireless connection on your computer or is it wired?

Robert
Community Coordinator

Occasional Visitor
bkpaul

Hi,

I use Skype with the sky router and have done for over a year now with no issues on voice or video calling, I have a lower connection speed than the user above aswel (about 25% lower).

Make sure you are not downloading and the other party is not downloading as this may well affect the call / video quality, also ensure you are using the latest skype software.

Occasional Visitor
Otts

It's meant to be wireless but at the moment it is connected via yellow cable.

WK
Occasional Visitor
WK

Hi Robert,

I have skype installed on my mobile. When I am outside my home I use network's provided internet from 3 and when I am back home, my mobile automatically gets connected to my sky router wirelessly. I never had any issues using skype's audio and video calls until last month when my sky router all of a sudden stoped working. I contacted sky and they sent me a new router (D-Link). Now with this new router my internet is working fine but skype on my mobile is malfunctioning. Initially I thought there was something wrong with skype configuration on my mobile but this is not the case as skype on my mobile is working absolutely fine at my friend's place who also has sky broadband. It also works fine on my office' wireless and works fine on 3 internet when I am on the road but as soon as I enter my home and connect it on my sky router I get the problems. Though it connects but the voice quality becomes extremely poor, video with jerks and in general its useless. I called sky technical support and they said they don't support skype and can't replace the router.

Any help in this regard?

Thanks

WK

Occasional Visitor
Newbawn123

Hi

I am having a similar issue where someone can hear me fine on Skype (upload no problem) but I am hearing them broken up on audio calls (downloads for this app seem to be restricted as Skype reports internet connection speed issue). I am also using the new D Link router and the problem is the same whether using wireless or wired. Also seems to be an issue with Second Life where data downloaded seems to be severely restricted and only works when another application such as Google Chrome is doing something at the same time which I think tricks the router into allowing more traffic perhaps.

Download speed is reported at 7.6 Mb/s and things such as i-Player and Youtube videos on good quality playback are fine so this doesn't make sense unless Skype and Second Life are both on a "restricted application" list or something?

Any ideas how I can resolve this problem?

Thanks

Contributor
Skyinter

I just moved to Sky and I connected my philips VOIPI841 to the sagemcom router provided by sky without problems

The bandwidht even if reduced after migrating from O2 is sufficient (sky works fine with less than 0.5 mbs in upload for video)

I did however have an issue once with a netgear router and I had to downgrade the firmware to have proper quality from Skype.

The issue I believe is mostly with the router firmware and not with the line as skype needs are not great anyway

Community Coordinator
Malcolm-M

Hi, which Sky Broadband package are you on?

Malcolm-M
Community Coordinator

Visitor
ciarany

I'm having the same problem. Have had lots of issues with internet connection and an old slow pc. These probs have now been sorted and now have a fast internet connection and a faster (although still old) computer. But still problems when using video calls in Skype - it says slow connection and I can't get a good picture or sound, whoever I'm talking to.

This is really frustrating me as I need to be able to use it for contacting my family who live away from me.