Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Regular Visitor
Chrissiebabes

Sky Talk Hasn't Activated and We Can't Use Our Phone

Hi folks. We had our phone package, line rental and broadband with BT and switched to Sky (online) on 21-06-11. Also went for TV which was installed no problem on 27-06-11. We have been given an activation date of 06-07-11 (today) for Broadband, but no date for Sky Talk or Line Rental. Order tracking states "we are progressing your order". We have been unable to make or receive phone calls for the last 24 hours, so it appears that BT have done their bit but Sky haven't. I checked the help guides and whilst they state there can be a delay in switching phone providers, nowhere does it state that you can expect to be without a phone for the period of the delay. Is this normal and can you give an estimation as to how long I can expect to be without my phone? Thanks.
Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Community Coordinator
Robert

Re: Sky Talk Hasn't Activated and We Can't Use Our Phone

Hi Chrissiebabes, 

I appreciate your concern regarding this, it can take up to midnight on the day of activation for your service to go active. If you still don't have a dial tone or your broadband is not working I'd recommend checking the My Sky Track Order page to see if there has been any change or update to the status of your orders.

To discuss this issue further and find out what has happened, please use the options on the Contact Us page to speak to our Customer Help team.

Robert
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Regular Visitor
Chrissiebabes

Thank you Robert. I contacted Sky tonight and after the first operator failed to call me back when promised I got through to another who is happy there is no problem at our end. Although all the Sky line testing appears to show the line is okay, it is completely dead. The phone line activation has gone badly wrong somewhere at Sky's end. Even though the website still shows that my order is progressing, the operator states that as far as they are concerned it was finished yesterday. So unfortunately we cannot believe what is recorded on our account details on the website. The problem has been reported as a fault and I've been told that an engineer will be in touch in 3 days. Very disappointing all round (you would think these problems would be treated as priority when customers are left without their phone line through no fault of their own) but sadly typical of the Sky experience which friends and family have encountered - borne out by many posts on this forum. When or if it finally gets operational I will be keen to ensure that we aren't charged for the period without phone line, talk or broadband. Thanks for your help, but we have joined the masses who feel badly let down by Sky.

Coastalprincess

Hi Chrissie just wanted to let you know I have the exact same issue.

Called CS got told oh wel have until midnight even though I explained yeah but the engineer must have done the work at the exchange as my broadband is working! Its not 12.25 and shock still no phoneline

Ridiculous to treat it as a standard fault when we are brand new customers with botched installs

Community Coordinator
Robert

Hi Chrissiebabes, 

I appreciate your frustration regarding this, thanks for letting us know what's happened. You should be able to track the progress of your fault by logging in to www.sky.com/trackmyfault and I hope that this issue is fixed quickly for you.

Please do keep us updated.

Robert
Community Coordinator

Regular Visitor
Chrissiebabes

Thank you Robert. Yes, I should be able to track my fault, but of course when I click on the track fault button no faults are shown against my account! Quelle surprise. If you have any responsibility at all for providing feedback to your employers please urge them to do something about their abominable customer service. Perhaps Sky should follow the lead of their fellow travellers at the News of the World and do the decent thing and close their doors for good??!!

Regular Visitor
Chrissiebabes

Another day passes, another phone call to Sky with no success ("engineer will ring you within 72 hours" - yes, holding my breath for that call I don't think). It's now 3.5 days since Sky cut off the phone line which we had no trouble with over the last 30 years with BT. Well done Sky. The reason we moved to Sky was as it was cheaper but we now deeply regret that. Any savings we might have made over the first year have now been negated with the cost of mobile phone calls we're having to make. Obviously Sky can offer cheaper deals as they put no resources into their poor customer service and enginering. This company is a disgrace. If anyone is reading tell your friends and family to avoid!

Community Coordinator
Malcolm-M

Hi Chrissiebabes, we are unable to help without further information. We have sent you a private message asking for details relating to your enquiry. Can you please respond with the information required and we will be able to escalate your issue further?

Malcolm-M
Community Coordinator

Regular Visitor
Chrissiebabes

Update for anyone reading this thread

I replied to the private message referred to in the previous post, giving my personal details. It's now 4.30pm on the 5th day without a phone or broadband and no one from Sky has even bothered to get in touch. I'm sure I don't need to add anything further - other than to reiterate my previous comments about this disgraceful bunch of cowboys.

Regular Visitor
Chrissiebabes

Finally been connected after more than 5 days cut off. Rang Sky yet again yesterday and asked to be put through to the team dealing with the fault, as they had been sitting on it for 3 days with nothing done. Obviously they have a large backlog. The guy I spoke to was quite helpful, did a line test (which must be more detailed than te one available to the call centre folk), and was able to tell right away that there was a problem on the line. He said he would send it off immediately for someone to go to the exchange and fix the problem, and that this should be done within 24 hours. He was as good as his word. I'm still waiting on call backs from people in the relevant Department which had been promised by Help Forum Advisors. The icng on this particularly harrowing cake was that I received a Customer Service Survey e-mail from Sky today regarding my contact with them last week - I duly completed the survey and clicked the "submit" button - only to get a message to say that there was a problem and the server wasn't responding! (Error 404). Just sums Sky up I'm afraid. Good luck to anyone reading this, if you are you must be having problems too, I hope you get them resolved soon. Just be persistent and don't take no for an answer.