Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Explorer
dicaprio45

Sky Store / Anytime+ purchases - Phone line vs. WIFI connection

Hi

I read that Sky Store will now be expanded and incl ability to rent a movie via Sky boxes from a wider selection at pay per view prices.  I also read that to do this, you still need to have Sky Box connected via phone line to complete a purchase (pay per view)?

Is it possible now to order a movie from Sky Store via Sky Box if box is not connected to phone line, but is connected via WIFI (for anytime+ connection).  Surely thats do-able and easier.  If it is not possible, when will it be?

Thanks

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Mentor
fogstershadow

Re: Sky Store / Anytime+ purchases - Phone line vs. WIFI connection

I believe you still need to be connected to the phone line to watch PPV on Anytime+

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Retired Staff Member
Anne-M

Hi dicaprio45, 

I can confirm what fogstershadow has said is correct. For you to be able to book a Box Office through Anytime+ (Sky Store) or from the Box Office menu, you will need to have an active phone line (with incoming and outgoing calls) connected to the box. The broadband connection is used so you can get access to the Anytime+ library and download the content from there. 

Thanks, 

Anne
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
I'm New Here
peterblake

THIS IS SO ANNOYING ..... SKY SORT THIS OUT

Super User
caesarome

Sort what out, your post is lacking detail of what your issue is.

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Explorer
dicaprio45

The issue or inconvienience as i see it is that the sky boxes have an ability to connect to your wifi now, but yet the use of the phone line connection is still required (to be plugged in/working) in order to order pay per view movies/events etc. 

The question is when will it become possible to do away with the phone line for this and use wifi to order sky store content.  It's much easier and tidy to connect to wifi for many people than it is to connect a box up to a phone line.

I assume the reason for the use of the phone line is the way the backend systems are set up to process billing/payments and verify sky boxes to charge customers for these things?  But i cant see why it would be hard to switch to a wifi mode of connection and payment for sky store in this day and age?

SKY?  Anybody able to give us a technical explanation or update us to when (if) this will be possible/change?

Retired Staff Member
Anne-M

Hi All,

As mentioned before the phone line is required for Box Office/Sky Store purposes.

We are always looking to improve the services and products that we offer customers. If this is a development that is to happen in the future, then we would let customers know by either posting on the forum, letting you know on our website or through our Latest News/Help and Support Pages.

Thanks,
Anne
Community Coordinator

Getting There
Minimag65

I agree with what has been said above, bought a wireless connector and set it up today with a view to ditching Lovefilm, without realising you still needed to have the telephone connected. Looks like Lovefilm gets a reprieve, shame I wasted £20 on the coonector, Sky should make it obvious when ordering that a phone line connection is needed

Getting There
woobarr

I did the same thing just this week and feel let down that I still need to drag a phone wire across the room after spending £21.95 on a wireless connector. Seems very out of date to have to do this. 

Getting There
Genghis99

I agree with other comments on here. I use Apple TV because I can't run a phone line to my Sky Box - Sky are losing revenue by this poor antiquated approach.
I'm New Here
Kwis

I agree also, the old telephone lines are an outdated way to take payment when the box is now internet ready.  I don't even have a phone line and as you say sky are losing money that I am giving to itunes for movie rentals.

Getting There
Lankou

Just watched the add talking about how great the sky store is and tried it straight away.

Well go stuck like everybody else as I do not have a working phone line.

Looked it up on the net and ended up on that post

When will the phone line requirement removed?

I might just end up cancelling the subscription all together and go for free satelitte tv plus netflix and will be cheaper than the 60 ish euro I am paying monthly.

Indeed like someone said, it will be a loss of revenue for sky, not that me cancelling my subscriptions and spending few bucks on a rental will change sky revenue, but imagine all of your subscribers realizing that this advert you have on now is kind of missleading...

Community Coordinator
lainys

Good Afternoon Lankou.

Thank you for your first post to the community and welcome to the Sky Help Forum.

I am sorry to read you do not have a working telephone line to enable you to use the Sky Store feature.

I do not have any updates to say we will be removing the telephone connection however, I will pass on your and everyone else's feedback.

Sorry I could not be more helpful.

Kind Regards

Lainys
Community Coordinator

I'm New Here
lolpatel

totally agree with rest of forum members. have just bought the wireless adapter.. and thought i could do away with the phone line. just redecorated my house and stripped wooden floors. the old telephone line was under the carpets. thought i could do away with it.. but no... so will have to run a temporary liine across the floor when needed... really really annoying. Probably use the other option which is to purchase new films from a different provider.

I'm New Here
Susyq1

My Sky box is not connected to my phone line and never has been and thought once it was connected vis wifi I could finally get movies fromthe sky store but find this is not possible, why? and is there a way round this