Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Regular Visitor
itsmexxhere
Accepted Solution

Sky+ Not working!

I had a power cut over night an now I have no sky+ features! I can still view TV but cannot rewind or pause TV. I get the error message  "A sky+ error occurred press select to restart. Press back up to continue without sky+ functionality"

I did press select an it took forever to actually switch on again! Any suggestions?

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
caesarome

Re: Sky+ Not working!

Have you tried rebooting your box ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Regular Visitor
itsmexxhere

Rebooting? U mean unplugging an plug it in again? Yes!

Pete+H2K

Hi,

Try a planner rebuild. If this doesnt work, try a forced download.

A planner rebuild is detailed here

and this is how to perform a forced download

1. turn power off at mains switch

2. press and hold backup button down on set top box

3. re-apply power, keeping the backkup button pressed

4. when all the lights on the set top box come on and you see a message on the tv to wait up to 10 minutes, release the backkup button

5. when the down load has completed, it will go in to standby.

6. wait 2-3 minutes and turn on.

Cheers

Pete

If this post has helped you, you can thank me by clicking the pink star to give me Kudos :-)
Occasional Visitor
fee81

Hi,

I'm having the same problem even after trying your help. My Sky+ also stopped working and the re-boot only goes so far and wont re-boot the planner. The box takes forever to come on I have to press it on constantly. This happened last year and I got a new box but its the whole loosing all recorded items that really annoyed me then earlier this year I lost all recordings again so this is the third time and I dont know what to do now. Any help will be much appreciated.

Pete+H2K

Hi Fee81,

Have you tried the forced software download as described above ?

Can you tell me the make of your set top  box ?

Thanks

Pete

If this post has helped you, you can thank me by clicking the pink star to give me Kudos :-)
Occasional Visitor
fee81

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your reply, Where will I find the make/model of the box? I know its just the white standard Sky+ box if that helps, its driving me crazy. Yes I tried the software download but the box would not turn back on after it turned its self off. Will I have lost all recordings?

Thanks again,

Fiona

Regular Visitor
itsmexxhere

Hi!

Tried what you have suggested an still no planner!

Make is Thomson 132-168  Had it a while now!

Hope you can help as i don't want to lose my recording either.

Pete+H2K

[ Edited ]

Hi,

First, you should be able to see the make of the box on a label either on the back or on the bottom.

If it is a Thomson, and all the steps described in this and other posts, have not fixed the issue, then it sounds like the power suppy unit has gone faulty, which is common with thomson set top boxes.

If the box is out of warrenty, then you can fix it your self for about £15 £20 (if you know how to solder), or have some one fix it for you for about £30.

Unfortunately the capacators on the power supply are not a high standard and after a while, they stop working. which results in the issues you are experiancing and much more.

The recordings are likely to be ok, but if you have a warrenty or extended insurance and call sky, they are likely to swap the box out, which will result in you loosing your recordings. 

Cheers

Pete

Community Coordinator
Malcolm-M

Hi, If pressing select at the point of the warning message has not helped you can try power cycling the box by turning it off then on at the mains. It is however likely that if the recovery process triggered by pressing select does not help you either have a fault or something is wrong with the data on the drive. You may be able to fix it using a full system reset however at this point you have lost the recordings and Anytime content on the box.

To try a full system reset on a standard definition box press services 401 select. Ignore the screen until you have pressed select and you should find yourself in the installer setup menu. Press 8 for full system reset then read and confirm the on screen warning. The box should say housekeeping then switch off within a minute or two. Leave it for 90 seconds then try turning it on again.

If this does not work Contact Us to discuss a service call.

Malcolm-M
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Occasional Visitor
fee81

Had to get new Sky+ box, service man had to come out, not happy about loosing planner for 3rd time but never mind.

Thanks for all the help anyway guys. Fiona. 

Occasional Visitor
AndyRich

Thanks for your help,  I had the exact same problem and I tried most things then I tried the forced download and this worked and all my saved programmes are all safe. Thanks again.

Occasional Visitor
Quarryman.40

Hi!! Have been experiencing similar probs to all the other poor souls you've been helping out!

I've tried everything you've suggested but with no result! Just keep getting the "Sky+ functionality is not available at this time" message. Would like to try fixing it myself (well my hubby is quite capable of soldering!!) but will i need to buy a new part or will he be able to see what needs fixing when i tell him that's what he's gonna be doing tonight??!! I'd like to give him as much helpful info as i can!! ;0)  Thanks for all your help so far, hope you can help a bit more.

The machine is a Thompson by the way but no warranty etc!!

Super User
caesarome

Quarryman.40 wrote:

The machine is a Thompson by the way but no warranty etc!!

There are known problems with these Thompson boxes, if you do a search on these forums you will find many other threads about them. I don't know if Sky are still do this but a little while back they were offering people with thse Thompson boxes a new 1TB box for £149 which is half it's normal price, it might be an option for you to have a new one.

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Senior Member (Platinum)
Kenneth+M

Quarryman.40 wrote:

............ Just keep getting the "Sky+ functionality is not available at this time" message. .....................The machine is a Thompson by the way but no warranty etc!!

That message may also be due to a faulty hard drive.  On the face of it, I'd go with the PSU problem ( fixable ).  If you have a Thomson Sky+ box ( not HD ), undo the screw at the back of the lid, take off the lid, and have a look for bulging/leaking capacitors on the PSU.  Some pics of failed caps here .  The link deals with a HD Thomson, but the PSU on both boxes is exactly the same.