Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Contributor
tarbat
Accepted Solution

Sky News fault on Freeview

Every time I go to channel 82 to watch Sky News, as of this morning, within a few seconds the sound cuts out and the screen goes black and is filled with two large boxes, one orange and one blue, advertising "Challenge" for games, quizzes and much more, just press the red button now, and "Holidays" for fabulous holidays at bargain prices, just press the blue button now.

Helpfully there is a large red circle and a large blue circle. Below this is the message "Press TV guide or key in channel number to return to TV."  I can key in a channel number to switch to another channel but if I key in 82 to stay on Sky News the audio returns but the picture stays frozen on this screen hijacking advertisement. If I press TV guide and select Sky News it promptly happens all over again.

Is this a FAULT or deliberate?

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Visitor
Recruiter

Re: Sky News fault on Freeview

Same issue here in the Granada region (Lancashire). Surely it must be a techie issue?

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Occasional Visitor
Droftel

I have found the same fault this morning in Liverpool on Freeview Channel 82 Sky News  as mentioned it is annoying will not go away  trust it is a tech fault with a quick remedy by the providers.

Retired Staff Member
GarryC

Hi Guys,

Sorry to see you are having sound issues on Sky News.

Can I just get you to confirm if this is happening on a freesat box which was supplied by Sky, or from another provider?

Many Thanks,

Contributor
tarbat

As per the thread title, this affected Sky News on FREEVIEW, not Freesat.  It looks like Sky messed up the red button configuration on three Sky channels.

Explained on another forum as:

Finally implemented correctly. Sky Text on LCN108 appears to have been replaced by Challenge Text. The first attempt left out the Text selection (or red button) from the three Sky channels; LCN 11, 46 & 82.

Retired Staff Member
GarryC

Hi tarbat,

Thanks for getting back to me with a reply.  We have had no reports of any issues with Sky News on any of Sky's own equipment, so this could be an issue with freeview itself and I would advise you raise this to them and see if they are aware of it.

Many Thanks,

Eun
Occasional Visitor
Eun

Since the recent freeview retune for the Mendip transmitter (28/09/11) I have not been able to receive Sky News over freeview (using built in freeview TV tuner on several TVs). I've retuned numerous times - sometimes can get it but it constantly breaks up, other times it doesn't pick up Sky News at all. All other channels are ok and I used to receive it perfectly (no equipment changes in my house either). Just seems that whatever work was done on the Mendip transmitter has significantly weakened Sky News signal. Anyone else with this problem or know who to contact at freeview or is anyone at Sky concerned that only their channel has been affected by this work?

Thanks

Retired Staff Member
Anne-M

Hi Eun, 

Can you advise how you are trying to view Sky News? Is it through an aerial or dish, Freesat using non sky equipment, or Freesat using one of our boxes?

Thanks, 

Anne
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.