Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Contributor
angerfist122
Accepted Solution

Sky Hub SR101 issues?

I recently had Sky Fibre optic broadband installed in my home on Monday 19th August but had not been able to go online at all since that date.. We switched from O2 ADSLbroadband.

Why?

The sky hub box will not recognise the connection it seems, the internet light (smiley face) is not lit and failed to come on after countless attempts and even another visit from the OR engineer who spent almost 3 hours trying to resolve the problem but could not find ANY faults on his end.

Yes the modem has 3 lights all lit solid green (LAN1, DSL and Power), I looked at the back of the modem and found that only the green light at the back of the lan1 ethernet port is on, the yellow/amber light is not lit and will occasionally flash (at the back of the ports there are 2 lights). What does this mean? The hub isn't communicating with the modem or what?

They went to the street cabinet I believe and checked that out, found nothing wrong. They also did a check on my line to see if any connection was coming through and they found it was syncing at 40mb download which shows there is a connection coming through into my home. He made several calls to sky and they couldn't even find a problem.

He also got his own BT hub from his home (since he lived nearby to us luckily) and tried that, he got an amber light on his box but of course it wouldn't go green because it's not a router supplied by sky. This led the engineer to believe that it was a fault with the hub itself.

Now I've read similar issues around and noticed that a new router did not solve their problem. So I am wondering, how likely is it that my hub is faulty? The new hub is due to arrive on Friday but I'm not getting excited because I am expecting it not to work. :s

I also tried setting the router mode to WANOE only but this just results in a solid amber internet light even if no DSL cable is plugged into the modem.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
speedyrite

Re: Sky Hub SR101 issues?

I can recall reading threads where folks have seen both scenarios. Some have genuinely had a dead unit and  replacement has fixed it. Others have had something similar to you and a new SR101 has been sent and it hasn't made any difference (would have to relocate those threads to see what the eventual solution was).

With router mode set to WANoE here, the ethernet cable from the OR modem goes into the ethernet socket at the bottom (shows as Port 1 under WAN Port on the Router Status page). Not sure if it makes any difference or not though, as I've never tried another configuration, but maybe worth checking just to eliminate it?

If the new SR101 that you are due to receive tomorrow doesn't fix the problem, then (assuming that all is well with the wiring inside the home and from your home to the street cabinet) I'm wondering if the issue is either something wrong or not yet done re connecting your line to Sky equipment at the exchange, or an issue within sky systems?

"All opinions are my own, other advice may be available and may differ from mine.
I do not work for Sky, I'm just a customer like you!
If my advice has helped you, say thanks by clicking on thumbs up"
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Contributor
angerfist122

Router set to WANOE only just displays a solid amber smiley face light which doesn't change. It even displays when no DSL cable is plugged into the modem.

Shouldn't there be two lights (one amber and one green) on the back of the modem (where the ethernet cable is plugged). Only the green light seems to be active, the amber light barely flashes so maybe the problem could be the router isn't communicating with the modem properly?

Also, the broadband status shows as "disconnected" when set to auto mode and displays "connected" when I switch to WANOE but it never actually makes the connection. I did try waiting for 3 hours with it set to WANOE hoping it turned white but nope it didn't.

I did the sky test on the router and it just says dsl line failure/line not physically connected. Connection status just shows "ASDL down" and nothing more.

Super User
speedyrite

[ Edited ]

Yes two lights per port - I think the green one indicates that the port is connected & powered and orange flickers during data transfer. Orange might be off because there's no WAN connection so no data transfer?

Maybe try a different ethernet cable between port 1 on SR101 & LAN1 on the OR modem just to eliminate that?

I think a solid amber smiley face indicates no connection but it's not listed in the help. Otherwise my suspicion would still be something not quite right either at the exchange or on something wrong on Sky system that's preventing connection to the Sky network.

"All opinions are my own, other advice may be available and may differ from mine.
Contributor
angerfist122

Engineer tried that when he came but it still didn't work.

He tried a BT hub router (his own) and got an amber light, he also did speed checks using some device and he reported that there is a connection coming through to my home measuring speeds at 40mb download (not sure on upload, didnt pay attention to that part).

He also did contact sky about authentication and I don't think they found a problem. He was on the phone to people quite a lot and spent 3 hours at my home trying to find the problem, he even called another engineer from OR and they didn't find anything at the cabinet either. He checked my wiring and couldn't find anything. Tried a different OR modem but still nothing.

This led him to believe that the hub itself may be faulty after 3 hours of trying so hard to get it working again. I hope that is the problem as it makes things easier but from what I've read, it doesn't seem likely..

I won't know until 2 hours after I've connected the hub as I've heard it can take up to 2 hours for the new hub to connect for the first time. Does the light stay off or flash amber whilst doing this? 

Super User
speedyrite

Could be a faulty hub. You'll find out one way or the other tomorrow I suppose! If you get the same with the new hub, I would say contact the Sky Fibre Team for assistance.

The long delay for hub to connect for the first time is usually only when it is replacing the previous router. It's due to the lease renewal interval for the external IP address of the router. So I would say it's not likely to be that. It should connect immediately if there was no previous router and fibre connection.

Contributor
angerfist122

[ Edited ]

When I replace the hub, will the smiley face be off or flash amber to start with?

Also no the DSL used to connect the modem to my phone socket is the one I used to connect my ADSL broadband (the cable wasn't supplied by them). OR Engineer did try using the modem supplied cable though but had no luck.

Super User
speedyrite

[ Edited ]

It may flash amber for up to 2 minutes on first connection while it establishes the connection and then turn steady white.

May still be worth speaking to the Fibre Team today if you can (see PM) to see if they can see what's wrong from their end?

Contributor
angerfist122

Ok so, if the internet light is still not lit after replacing the hub, it means the hub is not faulty and it's probably down to something on sky's end?

Super User
speedyrite

Probably so. It sounds like all the wiring in your home and out to the street cabinet is sound from what you've described that the OR engineer did.

Contributor
angerfist122

Router did not arrive today -.-

Does Saturday count as a working day or will I have to wait until tuesday for it to come?

Super User
speedyrite

Dunno but that's annoying. I think they are delivered either by Royal Mail or Parcelforce, so you might be lucky and get it tomorrow (otherwise I suppose it will be at least Tuesday).

Any luck speaking to Fibre Team to see if they are aware of anything re your connection?

What's their diagnosis of solid amber internet (smiley face) light? (It's not covered in the online help).

Contributor
angerfist122

The solid amber internet light only occurs if I switch the router mode to WANOE only, however, the amber light stays on even if I unplug the DSL cable from the modem.

Super User
speedyrite

I was hoping the Fibre Team might be able to tell you what causes that to happen? Or if they are aware of something wrong at their end re your connection?

Contributor
angerfist122

[ Edited ]

Router did not arrive today either so looks like I'm going to have to wait until Tuesday for it to arrive now..if it even comes then.

Haven't contacted fibre team yet as I don't really want them to just blame it on my equipment and get me to peform the checks I've already done. I do recall the OR engineer asking Sky if it was an authetication issue which of course wasn't the case as he wouldn't have come to the conclusion that the hub may be faulty. If it was an issue at the cabinet, wouldn't the engineer have picked it up? He did call someone else who went with him. Idk what they did but everything must have been ok there.

It's like the hub isn't detecting the OR modem. It just keeps saying "modem status: disconnected" and the LAN1 light just stays a solid green. Sometimes after I reboot the hub, the LAN1 port will flash pretty frequently before returning to solid green status.

Sucks that it's a bank holiday weekend as that just means waiting even longer for the hub to arrive.

Also can't seem to find any threads where a replacement hub fixed this issue.