Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
Projekct

Sky + HD no 5.1 unless I unplug HDMI

Hi,

I have an issue with the 5.1 sound from my sky box, I have discovered that when the HDMI is used I will only get stereo.. even if the optical is plugged in however if i unplug the HDMI from the back of the box, the sound instantly switches to 5.1 (but i have no picture as the HDMI is unplugged... obviously), plug the HDMI back into the rear of the sky box, back to stereo.

I have checked the sound settings in the sky box and the 3 values are:

Audio Output - Stereo

Digital Audio Output - Dolby D

Digital Audio Output Delay - 0ms

The Sky box is plugged into a Sony STR DH820 with HDMI and optical connection. All other devices work in the amp connection (Bluray and Xbox360).

The box has been replaced recently but hasnt made any difference.

I am hoping you can help.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Senior Member (Platinum)
Kenneth+M

Re: Sky + HD no 5.1 unless I unplug HDMI

Unless you have good reason to run a HDMI cable from the Sky box to the Sony, thence to the tv,  you should change it to Sky box>HDMI cable>HDMI Input on the tv.  Then Optical from the Sky box to the Sony,  which will then output audio up to DD5.1 as required.

If you keep the HDMI connection between the Sky box and the Sony amp,  the HDMI DD2.0 ( Sky HDMI does not carry full DD5.1 ) will be output unless you override this default setup in the Sony's Audio or Setup menu and set Optical In as the audio source when using Sky through HDMI on the amp.  Check your manual to see if an audio override is possible.

If not, do as I first suggested.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Occasional Visitor
Projekct

Thanks..

Seems odd the I cannot use the AV awitching solution that the amp provides.. but then its odd the SKY in their infinite wisdom has descided to ignore an industry standard interconnect format.

I have tried just about everything to get it going including the Sky to TV connection.. again this didnt work so F1 in 5:1 surround is purely a dream just now :smileysad:

Retired Staff Member
GregorA

Hi Projekct,

Welcome to the Sky help Forum.

I have requested more information for you to see if there is something that can be done. I will report back with my findings in due course.

Regards.

Occasional Visitor
simes69

I'm having the same challenge with my new Marantz AV amp.I get surround on all sources except the Sky box.

To summarise the previous posts to make sure I've understood.

• The HDMI output from a Sky HD box only carries a stereo signal.
  • The HD box does give a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal from an optical output.

Therefore in my configuration (all sources are wired to the amp via HDMI, amp to TV via HDMI) I will need to :

• add a new cable (optical from HD box to amp),
  • configure my amp to take "satellite" source video over HDMI and "satellite" source audio over optical input.
  • configure the Sky box correctly for digital audio output  (which I think it already is).

Is that correct?

Super User
Mark39

Spot on. The only thing to add is that the Sky box also outputs DD via a coaxial socket, as an alternative to optical (toslink).

Occasional Visitor
simes69

Yes that worked quite nicely - as you suggested I used digital coax rather than rummage around for an optical lead. Much to my surprise I get surround on non-HD channels too. On the down side, my dinking around with the configuration on the amp seems to have turned off 5.1 from my Bluray player, so thats a job for the weekend.  Thanks very much.

[Exits stage left, thumbing an instruction manual].

Occasional Visitor
HappySpaceInvader

[ Edited ]

For the Sony STR DH820, there is a very simple solution:

With both HDMI and optical leads connected between Sky box and amp (ideally, the HDMI lead connected to HDMI input 3), simply press the "Input Mode" button on the front of the amp until it reads "Optical" (by default, it will be on "Auto", which will prioritise sound from HDMI).  

You should now have something more than Stereo, but do not be surprised if it isn't showing as full 5.1 on your amp display, as I've found that many programs advertising "DD" are normally something in the range of 2.1 and 4.1.

Hope this helps.

Occasional Visitor
scoobyshandy

intrested into a solution for this, i have a sony 520 amp and have the same problem. will try to connect the hdmi directly to the tv and leave the optical lead in the amp. This does mean i have to use 3 tv remotes just to watch the tv now :smileysad:

Super User
Mark39

scoobyshandy wrote:

This does mean i have to use 3 tv remotes just to watch the tv now :smileysad:

Consider a Logitech Harmony 300?

Occasional Visitor
Microdot

So am i right in thinking the HDMI does not carry more than 2ch on a sky box? and you have to connect via SPDIF to get 5.1?

I'm running my sky+ HD box through my DELL 2709WFP Monitor which has built in 5.1 output to sound system (analogue Green,Black,Orange connectors) but its only passing 2ch when connected to sky! 

When other HDMI inputs are connected they pass through full 5.1 no problem......

this dont sound right to me, or people who only have built-in tv systems would never get 5.1 so the HDMI must pass through all channels somehow, I just cant seem to find the correct settings. 

Super User
Mark39

Yes, you're right. The Sky box HDMI output carries only stereo (except for the DRX595 receiver) so you need to use either the SPDIF or coaxial audio outputs for DD5.1

The Digital Audio Output setting on the Sky box Sound menu needs to be changed to Dolby Digital to get 5.1 from the SPDIF/coaxial outputs.

Occasional Visitor
west-side

i have a similar problem in that I only get my 5.1 when watching non HD channels.

i have my sky box connected to my tv with an hdmi cable and it is also connected to my music amp with an optical cable.

i can get an audio signal through my music amp but only for non HD channels, i have tried changing the settings on the sy box to see if that helps but it makes no difference. the tv has sound for both hd and non hd but obviouslt just in stereo. 

any tips?   

Super User
Mark39

Sounds more like a settings issue with your music amp (assuming it's compatible with DD5.1, of course).

The Digital Audio Output setting on the Sky box should be set to DolbyD, and the optical input setting on your amp to Auto.

That way, when DD5.1 is being broadcast by HD or non-HD channels, it should be correctly identified and decoded by your amp. When DD5.1 is NOT being broadcast, I imagine your amp will use Dolby Pro-Logic to fabricate surround sound, though it won't be DD5.1.

The Sky programme information screen will tell you whether DD is being broadcast.

Occasional Visitor
west-side

is surround sound broadcast differently for hd and non hd channels? i don't understand why it is picking up surround for one and not the other. i have tried every setting but nothing works. 

strange.