Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Regular Visitor
LouB
Accepted Solution

Sky+ HD box stuck in standby

Was all working fine yesterday but this morning can't get box off standby mode!  Switched off/on at mains, remote sending signal through ok as light's flashing but still stuck so can't get it on.  Please help :smileysad:

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
kato

Re: Sky+ HD box stuck in standby

LouB wrote:

Was all working fine yesterday but this morning can't get box off standby mode!  Switched off/on at mains, remote sending signal through ok as light's flashing but still stuck so can't get it on.  Please help :smileysad:

I have already replied to your other post,but follow this advice.

http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/tv/sky-hd/picture-problems/box-stuck-in-standby/

___________________________________________________________________________________________

If you have been helped by someone please click on the thumbs up icon to give them Likes.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
Mark39

What make and model is your Sky+HD box?

Try re-booting again, making sure you leave the mains switched off for at least 5 minutes.

If there's still no response, try a software refresh:

• Switch your Sky+HD box off at the mains.
  • Press and hold in the back up button on the top of your Sky+HD box.
  • While pressing the back up, switch back on at the mains.
  • Continue pressing the backup switch until all the lights on the front panel are lit.
  • When all the lights are lit, release the back up button and follow the on screen messages

If after 40 seconds, the lights have not come on, start this process again.

Regular Visitor
LouB

Have tried what you suggested but still stuck!  The light on the front of the box turns from orange to red and the TV shows a black screen with EXT1 AV receiver but that's all that happpens.  My controls (back up; on switch etc) are on the TOP of my box.  Don't know the make/model but picture from my order below.  Hope this helps.

Sky+HD box

Super User
kato

Try it again.

1. Power the box off at the mains power supply.

3. Locate the backup button on the front/top of the box.

4. Press and hold in the Backup button, and while doing this switch the box back on at the mains supply.

5. Continue to hold the Backup button after you have powered on, you should see within 60 seconds 3 more lights come on the front of the box? At this stage you can release the Backup button.

6. If you have 4 lights lit, it means the box is going through the forced download procedure. Leave for 15 minutes then try to see if your Issue is resolved.

If that fails then the next step will be a front panel reset (This will reformat the hard drive losing all saved recordings):

1. Power the box off at the mains power supply.

2. Locate the left and right arrow buttons either side of the select button on the front/top of the box.

3. Press and hold both the left and right arrow buttons in together, and while holding power the box back on and continue to hold the buttons after the red light comes back on.

4. Continue to hold the buttons, you should see within 60 seconds, the blue/green circle light in the centre of the box light up a full circle.

5. Let go the buttons then press select button on the box twice.

6. You should see the blue/green circle light moving anti-clockwise and the record and play lights in the centre flashing on/off.

7. Once the lights go off, the box will have rebooted and you will now only have the red standby light lit on the box.

8. If you can now wait 2 minutes before switching the box back on from standby to see if the fault has resolved

___________________________________________________________________________________________

If you have been helped by someone please click on the thumbs up icon to give them Likes.
Regular Visitor
LouB

Thanks for this, the box is a Dolby Sky 3D; Sky + HD box and none of the suggestions are working.  I have tried the reset button and the forced reset as suggested but still all that happens is the light brieflt goes from orange to red, no other lights come on.  Checked Sky site & having problems due to severe weather but don't see why that should stop my box working???

Fed up :smileysad:

Super User
kato

If you have carried out all the advice we have given you,the next step will be to contact Sky.

Super User
Mark39

LouB wrote:

Thanks for this, the box is a Dolby Sky 3D; Sky + HD box and none of the suggestions are working.

Sounds like it's fairly recent - is it still under warranty?

Kato is right - your box has had it, and your best bet is to arrange a callout with Sky. They'll do whatever's necessary to get you working again, including replacing the Sky box. If you're under warranty the callout will be free, otherwise £65.

Regular Visitor
LouB

Many thanks for all the advice, unfortuanately nothing has worked so spoken to Sky & sending engineer round Saturday.

Regular Visitor
LouB

sorry, posted reply before saw last 2 posts!  Guy spoke to on phone said wouldn't cost me anything as under 31 days since installation, although if it's box that's kaput don't think should have to pay anyway!!  Thanks for all the advice

Garryl

I realise that you have marked this as solved - I assume because sky are coming out?

Just a thought you mention TV shows ext1 AV - on my sammy this is the scart channel - have you connected your sky box via scart or hdmi? it may just be the tv source channel... just a thought.

Hil-Ste

[ Edited ]

Hiya, 

we had a Sky + HD box installed in August, and started to get the same problems,

it seems to happen overnight, switch box to standby, go to bed, get up the next day to an amber light and no response at all to the remote control........

Power off often 2 or 3 times before it will eventually respond 

did the back up software update thing and the hard drive reset all to no avail

So had Sky come out and replace the box, same thing happened within a day!

We are now on our FOURTH box latest was installed on thursday, got up this morning and its done it again

Please help........!!!!!!!!!

Hil-Ste

So nobody got any answers?????

Super User
caesarome

Hil-Ste wrote:

So nobody got any answers?????

Did you follow Kato's advice back up the page ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Hil-Ste

Yes, I have tried those, I am on my FOURTH HD box and the same thing has happened with every box, surely that is not normal??????????