Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
RickyLee53

Sky HD box problems with HDMI

Hello,

I've had Sky HD for 18months. Always used it via HDMI on my Samsung 50" Plasma.

Last night/this morning at 2am I went to bed and the TV worked fine. This morning at 8am I had no picture. Did the usual on off at the wall, checked cables etc and couldn't see anything amiss.

Called Sky, the guy on the phone went through the usual things and decided it was the actual box. He said an update took place last night which has obviously not worked. He reupdated my box, along with resetting it, which involved losing all recorded programs, settings etc. But nothing worked. My box is no longer under warranty and it'd cost £65 for an engineer to come out and look at it.

After work I collected a "spare" Sky box, which works fine via HDMI, I also checked the box which isn't working with a Scart lead and it works fine. (How bad is the picture!)

So I called Sky again, and they said its a fault with the TV firmware, the update will have caused my TV to be out of date (unlikely I thought as its only a couple of years old), and there callout would be wasted as they wouldn't be able to help.

Which of the above is more likely? I can get a 1tb box off ebay but don't want to buy one to have the same problem.

Anybody had a simialar problem?

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Super User
Stantheman2k12

Re: Sky HD box problems with HDMI

Hi,

Have you tried Holding back up on the box while powering it up to do a force system update?

If I Or Anyone Has Helped Please Kudos. If Your Problem Is Solved Please Click On Accept As Solution.
Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
RickyLee53

Yes I tried that and a reset.

Senior Member (Gold)
John8372

When you tried the box over SCART did you have the new EPG? If so did you retry a forced software download with the box connected via SCART so you could see if it was completed?

Visitor
Fanta57

I have the same problem with my HDMI connection. I cannot for the life of me get HD from my sky+HD box.

About a week ago i had a HD+ picture and everything worked great then the next day ....... Nothing.

I am currently watching sky through the scart lead on my SONY TV. I have just bought a new 5.1 home cinema system and tried it on both HDMI connections and it works on both. My sky, however will not respond . I've tried everything from new cables to another tv and even looked on the sky website for advice.

Fortunately my sky subscription is out of contract so i think i will be cancelling very soon and then using my Freesat box.

There's no way i'm paying for an engineer to come to my house to tell me my box needs upgrading and then me paying £65.00 for the privelege when i already know its the sky box.

Super User
Mark39

Fanta57 wrote:
I've tried everything from new cables to another tv and even looked on the sky website for advice.
There's no way i'm paying for an engineer to come to my house to tell me my box needs upgrading and then me paying £65.00 for the privelege when i already know its the sky box.

Amongst the things you've tried, have you tried a Sky box software refresh?

An engineer won't tell you your box needs upgrading, but he or she will get you working again, if necessary by swapping your box at no extra cost and with a 3 months warranty. You might be able to negotiate a callout at reduced cost too. Or you could buy your own replacement box?

Visitor
Fanta57

Thanks for the advice Mark39.

If the problem is the sky box then i wouldnt have a problem replacing it .

As long as i'm sure it is the sky box.

I think i  will go down the engineer callout route.

Thanks for the advice.

Occasional Visitor
Rudders22

Mmmm interesting so you have had an update. I woke up wih exactly the same problem as you 2/3 days ago and I have had problems switching channels. What I found odd is that where I had my menus set up and my planner all as one screen, my box is setup to how it was when i first started it... now i cant record anything...... as i keep getting messages saying "cannot be booked". I cant switch channels and it is stuck on the same channel at the same time... I am fed up it is ito do with a software update. !!!! Everytime they do it i have problems. I cant even use interative

Occasional Visitor
SkySurferAl

Same problem here....Went to bed last night with everything working fine, now I have no picture at all on the HDMI output.

Everything else on the TV is working fine - DVB, Wireless media streaming, DVD, and I can even hear Sky channels via the optical output on the sound system.

Have checked all the obvious things, tried different HDMI cables, different HDMI ports on the TV, powered down and reset....nothing works.

Has anybody had any sense out of Sky regarding a fix for the problem (IF it is in fact due to a downloaded update)?

Senior Member (Gold)
John8372

Hi SkySurferAl,

Have you tried connecting to your TV via SCART just to see if your box has been updated. You may also be able change some on the picture settings on the box to see it that helps. 

Occasional Visitor
SkySurferAl

Hi John,

Yes, unfortunately I have already been down the scart route as well - there is simply no video output from the box in any form....sound is perfect though! Lol

Since my last posting I have been on with Sky this afternoon and we have been through the backup reset procedure which apparently invokes another download of the software update and that didn't achieve anything either.

So the end result (for me at least) will be the installation of a new box next week, which is slightly annoying as it was only replaced last August, but apparently they only come with a 3 month warranty (you can see why!) so it is going to cost me yet another £65 to sort the problem out.

I have to admit that I am a little peeved that having been with Sky non-stop since they first started broadcasting in 1989, I have never been on the receiving end of any special deal or concession that pretty much everyone I know has.

Only last week a girl that works for me was offered a free box, free installation, and the entire channel package totally free for 6 months simply because she hesitated at the first deal she was offered.

A new sign-up or a threat to cancel will apparently get you all sorts of bending over backwards, but being a solid and loyal customer for 23 years doesn't appear to get you anything.....c'est la vie. :smileysad:

Oh, and let's not forget I have just got the letter telling me the monthly subscription is going up £1.50 next month!

Frequent Contributor (Bronze)
BAKER126

Same here.
New HD EPG software (3rd July 2012)... Occasionally getting HDCP non compliant,have to turn off and on to get picture .Crazy it was working fine before I've had tv for 5 years (Sony KDL-32V4000)and box just over 1 year.
What do Sky plan to do?
Are they aware of the problem?
Will they fix it?
Any compensation?
Visitor
Fanta57

I hope that this is not a reason for SKY to get more money from the consumer by renewing HD boxes or having to get an engineer to call to the home and the consumer having to pay for it whilst doing so.

It seems that this problem is getting worse and the dedicated long term SKY customer has to pay more and more money whilst new sign ups get better and better deals.

Yes SKY will say updates are for the greater good but as a SKY consumer Software updates should be a thing we choose to do not what Sky impose upon us.

Visitor
Fanta57

This was my Post a few days ago ,

"I hope that this is not a reason for SKY to get more money from the consumer by renewing HD boxes or having to get an engineer to call to the home and the consumer having to pay for it whilst doing so.

It seems that this problem is getting worse and the dedicated long term SKY customer has to pay more and more money whilst new sign ups get better and better deals.

Yes SKY will say updates are for the greater good but as a SKY consumer Software updates should be a thing we choose to do , not what Sky impose upon us."

I now realise that after a bit of research i have found that things DO need replacing .. NOT just updating. Yesterday i bought the latest SKY +HD box from a friend and set it up at home. Needless to say it would not match my card number with this box . After a 5 minute phone call to a SKY Representitive the issue was rectified and i am now back to viewing in HD , much better than the HD from my previous sky Box.Sorry Sky but sometimes it's better to source your own equipment then let you do the rest.

Regular Visitor
Essa+Moshiri

Hi All,

I just ran into the same proble, Yesterday it was working all fine over HDMI. This morning I had pink screen. Tried to hard reset the box and now the only option i got is scart. I have confirmed the problem is with the software of the SKY box and nothing to do with my setup.

Problem description:

The  SKY HD box is not working over HDMI but works just fine over scart.

Troubelshooting.

A) Reset the box by pulling out the power button and start the box with holding down the "Backup" button.

B) Scart connection works but not HDMI

C) Changed the HDMI cable still no picture.

D) TV is working as everything else (PS3 and Media Centre is working).

E) Swaped the HDMI input to the TV and sky still does not work.

EPG Version: 47.0.16.1

Manufactor: Samsung

OS Ver / Model Number: R003.047..29.00P

Urgent response would be great.

Kind regards
Essa Moshiri