Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Contributor
Sps1013

Re: Sky+HD box overheating and burning the viewing card

Just to add another viewpoint into this quite serious topic, my 1TB box is extremely hot.

It is on an open shelf, nothing around it (thank goodness) and is in a well ventilated area with good airflow. However it gets so hot you cannot touch it. If I place my hand on the underside of the shelf which is 14mm thick it is just as hot as touching the top.

Now tell me this is normal! I appreciate things get warm/hot but the Xbox doesn't and neither does my mac.

I too have been offered an engineer call (at cost) to sort out an unresponsive box at times but I am slowly linking temperature and responsiveness together.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Retired Staff Member
Anne-M

Hi Ronnie1990, 

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Can you advise how long you have had the box for, do you have any extended warranty on the system?

Thanks, 

Anne
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Retired Staff Member
Anne-M

Hi Sps1013, 

Boxes can run warm however if they run as hot as you have said, the next step would be a service call to replace the system for you. You mentioned that the service call would be at a cost, this is suggesting that you are outwith warranty. There are a few options for you in this case:

• A service call at £65/€100, this covers parts/labour and a 90 day warranty.
  • Sky Protect, you can find out more information here.
  • Purchasing a box outwith sky or seeking the help of a local engineer.

Thanks, 

Anne
Community Coordinator

Contributor
Sps1013

Hi Anne-M

Thanks for posting back quickly. Yes my box is just outside 12 months warranty but my HD subscription has a while to run before expiry but to be honest with a product that has this fault and other known faults as posted on this and other forums then I dont really think the product is fit for purpose!

Nothing else gets hot like this and the reason people purchase the 1TB boxes is to store more recordings. A change out of box will lose all my recordings and without any 21st century way of copying them over (scart to scart is not really the pinnacle of technology) it is a loss of recordings which I have paid a subscription to use! Not to mention the time spent doing it all in real time.

The underlying fault here is that the box does have an issue, whether it is manufactured by Amstrad or Sky the fact remains there are alot of people with units that run hot. Now, define hot? One persons warm might be another's hot and vice versa but in essence, anybody remarking about the heat has a genuine reason they have mentioned it.

If I went for another 1TB unit then that would be the same, as I am unaware of any change in manufacturing process and components since the original build spec. Coupled with the fact that all units are running the same software I see no benefit in that.

In my case, I paid £249 for my unit and to be honest I am disappointed. I consider it a safety flaw and my only real satisfactory conclusion would be to enable a cancellation to be placed on my account without charge, or indeed a nominal "admin" fee.

Thanks.

Retired Staff Member
Anne-M

Hi Sps101, 

Our boxes can run warm and they will be different temperatures in different homes (as not every home is set up the same), we do test our boxes to make sure that the run correctly. However, if the box is that hot you are unable to touch it or are concerned about the heat, a service call/upgrade would be offered.

Thanks, 

Anne
Community Coordinator

Contributor
Sps1013

Anne,

I am sorry, but have you not read my post in which you are replying to?

I stated there that one persons hot is anothers warm, that is not in dispute! What is fact is that others are reporting this issue, both on this and other forums and you want ME to pay for a service call to replace a box that cost £249 a little over 12 months ago!

Your colleagues wanted me to pay for a service call to sort out a sluggish box which I believe is linked to this overheating! I am sorry but Sky customers are not a cashpoint for you to constantly draw upon.

Visitor
Philip+M

I am having the same issue, the card is all brown and burnt.  I phoned sky and they said I need to buy a new box, they asked me to do a few things which resolved the issue for a few weeks but i't starting to happen again. 

Model Number R003.047.25.00P

Ver No: 4F3006

EPG: 47.0.16.1

Retired Staff Member
GarryC

Hi Philip+M,

You mention you contacted us and this was sorted for a few weeks.  What process was it the advisor took you through to resolve the issue?

Is the card a brown colour over the chip, or does the card look burnt all over?

Thanks,

Visitor
Sky-Box+User

Hi

Reference over heating Amstrad DRX 780. Our Sky box is Model DRX 780 UK.

First after about 1 hour our box freezes to a still black and white  picture, sound ok , if box switched off then on again the  picture is still black and white but now it’s a  moving picture . At this point the top and bottom and sides of box get very  hot.

My solution to over Heating Problem was to switch both fans on permanently, I know this it not ideal as fan will not last for ever, but alternative would be to buy new sky box

. As on other posts I have never heard fans run this may be software problem or missing component etc.

Now the modification

( Only attempt this if you have electronic/ electrical knowledge)

1) Make sure box is disconnected from main supply

2) To remove Case turn upside down and remove the six screws 3 either side and the one on the rear at the top of the box

3) slightly lift the three black tabs on under side at the front of the case, gently prize the black case forward  so there is around  6 to 10 mm gap  then gently manipulate side panel  to release side latches, the case should then slide off.

4) with the case removed , unscrew  the 5  screws holding the disk drive in place.

With  component side up disc drive top left , remove three screw on side of box and the two screws inside. Gently lift disk drive clear over front of box . There is no need to disconnect  the cables .

5) There  are two fans one below disc drive the other on side of box .

6) If you look at the Printed circuit board, close to the bottom fan, there is a large black transistor soldered flat to the board. It has three legs at the bottom  each leg is about 1.5mm wide, the top of the device has a tab soldered to printed circuit board the device is about 3 x 5 mm. 

With the big solder tab facing away from you an the three legs of the transistor towards you ( Back of the box should be facing you) solder a 100k ¼ watt resistor across the two transistor legs i.e. middle leg to left leg this should turn this device on and both fans should run,

7) Clip volt meter negative to case of sky box , set meter to measure up to 20 Volts

Plug in power lead turn on power at wall socket fans should now be on i.e. in standby.

Put positive meter lead to red lead on fan connector it should read around 12 Volts.

8) ff voltage to low i.e. less than 8 volts decrease  resistor value from 100k to 82k . If voltage to high i.e. 13 volts increase  value to 120k.

Please Note if dimensions  of transistor size a bit out its due to deciding to do this post after having reassembled  Sky Box

After this Modification the box runs very cool I hope This Helps

Community Coordinator
Kris+McD

Hi Guys 

Please only carry out this procedure if you are a qualified electrician, please note that this also could invalidate any warranty on the box as well. 

Cheers 

Kris+McD
Community Coordinator

Occasional Visitor
sean+b

I also have same problem.
Model No. R003.047.29.00P
Version No. 4F3006
EPG. 47.0.16.1

We phoned sky and all they did is send out a new card. Also we got a discount of our package as we could not utilize our package fully.
However, what plans have been put into place if it is found there is a fault within the box? Will each customer receive a free replacement with any recordings transfered to new top box? Or, will there be some sort of compensation?

I also have not heard any fans operating to cool the components down. I have also now decided to remove the sky card from the top box at night before going to bed, which will be a pain but, what other options do i have.

When the top box is in Standby Mode there is a noise which i presume is coming from the hard drive. Does the hard drive automatically constantly carry out defragmentation? Could this be the cause of the overheating problem? Because the system is in Standby, it maybe a case that the fans may not operate in this mode.
Occasional Visitor
sean+b

This maybe worth a call to trading standards before something seriously happens such as house fire, casualties or worse fatalities due to negligence!!

What are peoples thoughts on this?
Super User
Mark39

Discolouration of the viewing card is, in the vast majority of cases, nothing to do with overheating or burning. It's just the glue which hold the card laminates together turning brown under the moderate warmth inside the box. It does look like a scorch mark but it's just discolouration. I don't remember seeing any reports of Sky boxes catching fire, thankfully.

Occasional Visitor
Barry129

Burnt Sky Viewing card  

As you can see, the burn mark is quite clearly in line with the chip. This is not 'glue' related, but the chip in the card over-heating. These chips were not designed for this continued use, they were designed for credit cards.

The issue is due to the chip not having a heat sink to allow the heat generated, to disipate.

(An example of this would be a computer processor that is constantly being used and requires a heat sink to stop it from overheating.)

A solution to this would require the top of the chip, which is currently hidden inside the plastic card, to have a metal cover which would be visable on the top of the card, that could make contact with a heat sink inside the box, when the card is inserted.

The 'glue' excuse is what I was told bey the helpdesk 'assistant' when I called to explain what had happened to my card. The type of glue used to attach these cards to their letters is the same type used by banks for credit cards. It peals of both the card and the letter, leaving no trace on either and is attached to the middle of the card, not the top.

Sky need to accept that there is a deffinate design flaw with using these types of cards and resolve it quickly, before something serious happens.

Before anyone tries to lecture me on heat distribution, etc. I work in the IT industry and deal with chips and herat sinks on a daily basis.

I have written to Sky's helpdesk with a request for a reassuring response regarding this design flaw and should I not get one, I will start looking at who I can take this issue to next.