Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference. Learn more about this message
Getting There
basil737
Accepted Solution

Sky HD box outputs

Hello,

I recently got a new Sky Hd box ( old one died ) and I use an audio visual amp to drive the TV.

The AV amp needs a component ( or lower ) input to send the video signal to the TV -just wondering is there any way of getting a video signal that is component and not HDMI from the box?

I have it connected directly to the TV via HDMI but want to use the amp as the leads are buried neatly instead of trailing across the floor.

The box is an Amstrad DRX 890-c.

Thanks.

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Retired Staff Member
hadouken-andy

Re: Sky HD box outputs

Hi Basil737,

An option available may be to use a HDMI > Component lead to go to the amp. These are readily available with many online and highstreet electrical retailers and should provide the optimum output quality from the Sky+HD to the amp and can be used easily in conjunction with an Optical or Toslink connection.

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Getting There
basil737

Hi Andy,

thanks for the prompt reply....

Of course things are never that simple, I was hoping to use the scart output on the Sky box if I can get a decent video output there as my A/V amp wont easily 'downgrade' certain types of signal without messing up all my other settings for DVD etc.

Does the scart output give component video or even ' Y, Pb/Cb and Pr/Cr '  output which my amp will easily process & send to my TV? If so what pins on the scart output, as I can easily make up a lead to suit if one isnt easily available in the rip off - sorry- high street shops!!

( The real issue is the wiring which I have buried in the skirting boards -for another while.. )

Thanks!!

Retired Staff Member
hadouken-andy

Hi basil737,

basil737 wrote:

...Of course things are never that simple...

Too true, I'm trying to connect all 8 of my devices to the one TV (I have very limited space), so know your pain only too well.

Unfortunately the scart output is composite video only and will not give out component or otherwise.

Without taking video direct to the TV, the options available are as I mentioned above. May be worth a try?

Feel free to post more detail on your current setup and we'll do our best to assist further.

Thanks

Getting There
basil737

Hi again Andy,

So it seems the only option is to go composite via the amp for the moment.

The amp cant upgrade composite to HDMi output ( if thats not a contradiction anyway? ) so to get anything other than composite, I will need to go to HDMi. Somebody is going to be sooo happy when I run the HDMI lead to the TV!!!

In the meantime I have got it to work by changing various modes & inputs to send the composite signal down my component leads to the TV which is a temporary solution until I run the proper HDMi leads.

Thanks again for the help!!

Basil737