Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
jenni1607

Sky+HD box not connecting to BT broadband via ethernet

For some reason my internet connection isn't working on my sky+ box.  I have BT broadband and have connected my modem to the sky+ box via ethernet cable.  I have set broadband network connection to ON in the sky network menu, yet it is still not finding my network.  I have also tried manually inputting the IP address and such, but to no avail.  This is really stressing me out now as I know I've done everything right.  Please help!

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Super User
Annie+UK

Re: Sky+HD box not connecting to BT broadband via ethernet

Try reboting your BT Home Hub.

Annie..........

Community Super User & Image Moderator (Meet the team)Sky customer since 1989. – βeta tester for Sky 📡 & Xbox One 🎮

DRX890 (4F3108, standby:active, padding:auto/5mins), DRX895 (4F3151, standby:none, padding:auto/5mins) both connected to LAN via Ethernet.
BT HH4.0a on BT Infinity 2 [76/18] unlimitediPad (version 3, iOS 7.1) – Nokia Lumia 1520 (Black, Win8) – Xbox One (day one edition).

If someone helps, say thanks by clicking the thumbs up.“Have you tried turning it off and on again?”, The IT Crowd.

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
jenni1607

I've already done that, once last night and once today :smileysad:

Super User
Annie+UK

Does your HH see the Sky Box as a connected device?

Have you tried a different port and/or Ethernet cable?

Annie..........

Community Super User & Image Moderator (Meet the team)Sky customer since 1989. – βeta tester for Sky 📡 & Xbox One 🎮

DRX890 (4F3108, standby:active, padding:auto/5mins), DRX895 (4F3151, standby:none, padding:auto/5mins) both connected to LAN via Ethernet.
BT HH4.0a on BT Infinity 2 [76/18] unlimitediPad (version 3, iOS 7.1) – Nokia Lumia 1520 (Black, Win8) – Xbox One (day one edition).

If someone helps, say thanks by clicking the thumbs up.“Have you tried turning it off and on again?”, The IT Crowd.

jenni1607

I know the ethernet works as I have tested it by connecting my PS3 to the hub.  I have tried different ports - and no my hub doesn't recognise the sky box.

Super User
Annie+UK

Power the Sky box off from the mains until the power LED goes out then wait a minuter before powering back on again.

Annie..........

jenni1607

I've just done that again and it's still not working, and my hub still isn't showing any physical connections.

jenni1607

On the Network Settings it states:

Local Connection - FAIL

Service Connection - FAIL

IP Address - 0.0.0.0

DHCP - ON

Super User
Annie+UK

Sorry the local connection FAIL is the connection to the HH :smileysad: Someone from Sky will need to take over your problem, I've run out of fixes :smileysad:, you could have a dodgy RJ45 socket on the Sky box but that's rare.

Annie..........

jenni1607

Thank you for trying to help me anyway - anyone from Sky got any suggestions?

Erkle

Hi Jenni, I am having the same problem here. Have u managed to find a solution to this?
Occasional Visitor
mrmangosir

[ Edited ]

Hi, I had the same problem here, just had an install. I have Bethere internet for the best part of the next few days, until I move to Sky.

Now I had the same problem, no IP and fail on the network screen. The below solution worked for me.

However if you know how to give static IPs, the router IP and your DNS IP, go to network, select down, press green for manual IP configuration and give the box an spare static IP, the DNS IP (normally your router or ISP DNS), your router IP and the netmask.

You need to know your IP format, netmask and DNS settings. If you already know how to get this information then fine, jump to step 2, otherwise step 1 will give you the information you know.

Step1

You can view properties on your current connection to get your information, but on different version of windows its a little different, so the below should work.

First you need to know what IPs are being given out on your network. If you are on windows click start menu>click run or enter directly if you are on windows 7+ the command cmd. You should get a black window appear with a flashing cursor.

Enter in that window command ipconfig and you should not have your network information.

This includes your computer IP address and netmask. Now you need a DNS, which is your router IP. If you don't know it quickly in the same black window, enter "tracert google.co.uk" (don't type in the quotes). This will trace a route to google, but the first device it goes through will be your router, which gives out your DNS.

So now you have your computer IP address for example 192.168.1.45, netmask 255.255.255.0 and router (which providers DNS) 192.168.1.254 or something like 192.168.1.1.

Step 2

You need to go into your Sky box configuration and look for network, there is a option (green button I believe) to enter a manual IP configuration. Make sure you move your selection from network in the menu, down to your Local Connection box below, otherwise the "manual IP Configuration" will not appear. It will then ask for a IP, netmask and DNS.

The IP IS not  your current computer IP, if you give it the same the machines will conflict and it wont work.

I'd suggest a really high IP in the range, to avoid IP conflict, so if you have 192.168.1.45 on your computer give it around 192.168.1.150. Unless you have 55 computers connected, chances are you will be fine. Its hard to gauge your network setup however.

Enter your chosen IP address by pressing the number on your remote. Then goto subnet which is just normally 255.255.255.0, check yours to make sure its the same, but it generally will be fine.

Enter your Gateway router, which is your router IP address, then lastly DNS, which is your router IP too. Yours may vary and have a different IP.

Click save, which I believe is the green button.

You should then be back to the network screen, it should all be local connection (OK), service connection (OK) and showing your local static address.

This example is basically getting a spare IP address that your Sky box can get, together with the netmask, router IP and a DNS IP.

If you know how to get it, that's all you do. I think its a problem with the Sky box requesting a IP via DHCP. This switches off the DHCP, gives your box a static IP address.

Oh and if you do struggle, please tell me where you get stuck and I will see if I can help :smileyhappy:

Visitor
Dbureau

Hi, i'm trying to connect wireless via a sky wireless connector. I've followed the instructions and my service connection states FAIL and encryption type is invalid. Hence I can't connect wireless to my network!!! Help please!!!
Staff (Retired)
kirsty+d

Hi Dbureau,

Welcome to the Help Forum and thank you for contacting us.

Can you confirm if it is BT that your Broadband service is with? Are you able to connect with an ethernet cable at all, if you are are you getting the same message?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Occasional Visitor
davidmward

hi,

I have read with interest your suggestions and have applied them regretfully although it shows my isp there is not connection to local service. Basically having tried to connect for over a week now I am coming to the conclusion that

sky anytime plus cannot be connected to the internet via a bt hub. Does this mean I must buy sky broadband to be able to use this service