Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
Dazzzza

Sky + HD box not booting up

Had my Sky+HD installed last monday, an hour later picture went off, i had to leave for work away till today (9/12).. switched back on and the same happens, unplug it ..plug back in ...screen says Sky+HD   Loading please wait then blank screen, box will not boot up, will some times for 2 mins then blank screen, phoned sky, went through all resets etc etc... still not working an guy on phone says it a problem with remote... yet remote will still turn volume up and turn tv off, says will send a new one next week and to put up with it going off regular ???  Then remote turned box on an off then stayed off so not remote works, so i says must be box... so a engineer coming out NEXT friday (16/12). Feeling peed off I plugged a Thomson Sky Digi box in (must be 15years old), put the card in an works great, even the remote that batteries have leaked in side of still works fine.... puts sky+HD to shame..

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Super User
kato

Re: Sky + HD box not booting up

Try this if you haven't already.

1. Power the box off at the mains power supply.

3. Locate the backup button on the front/top of the box.

4. Press and hold in the Backup button, and while doing this switch the box back on at the mains supply.

5. Continue to hold the Backup button after you have powered on, you should see within 60 seconds 3 more lights come on the front of the box? At this stage you can release the Backup button.

6. If you have 4 lights lit, it means the box is going through the forced download procedure. Leave for 15 minutes then try to see if your Issue is resolved.

If that fails then the next step will be a front panel reset (This will reformat the hard drive losing all saved recordings):

1. Power the box off at the mains power supply.

2. Locate the left and right arrow buttons either side of the select button on the front/top of the box.

3. Press and hold both the left and right arrow buttons in together, and while holding power the box back on and continue to hold the buttons after the red light comes back on.

4. Continue to hold the buttons, you should see within 60 seconds, the blue/green circle light in the centre of the box light up a full circle.

5. Let go the buttons then press select button on the box twice.

6. You should see the blue/green circle light moving anti-clockwise and the record and play lights in the centre flashing on/off.

7. Once the lights go off, the box will have rebooted and you will now only have the red standby light lit on the box.

8. If you can now wait 2 minutes before switching the box back on from standby to see if the fault has resolved

___________________________________________________________________________________________

If you have been helped by someone please click on the thumbs up icon to give them Likes.
Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Dazzzza

Done all that while on the phone for 45minutes..

Thanks

Super User
kato

Looks like you need a new box then.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

If you have been helped by someone please click on the thumbs up icon to give them Likes.
Occasional Visitor
Dazzzza

That is shocking that i may need a new one, this one has been switched on for 4hrs since installed...  makes me think is sky worth the hassle and the expense...may cancel and go back to good old freeview :-)

Contributor
Ragnarok

Sounds like your box has suffered "infant mortality".  The most likely time that *any* bit of electronics kit will go faulty is within the first few hours of use or after being transported.  It does not necessarily indicate that the quality of that model is unusually bad unless it is happening to a significant number of the product, and there is quite probably an equal chance that a Virgin box would have failed within a similar time.

Occasional Visitor
snm1979

had this exact problem and the first stage soved it solved it, thanks.... i was panicing especially being NYE. thought we was going to have no tv.... :smileyhappy:

Community Coordinator
Anne-M

Hi snm1979, 

First of all I would like to thank you for joining the forum :smileyhappy:

It's great to see that the community has managed to give you the information to help resolve the problem you had.

Please feel free to come back and ask any questions that you may have and give other members help with their problems. 

Thanks, 

Anne
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Occasional Visitor
amdcrash

iv had that proplem too but it was a sky+hd box when i rebooted it