Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Visitor
tukky142
Accepted Solution

Sky HD box RF2 picture interference

Hi,

Since upgrading from Sky+ to Sky HD box I have had interference (horizontal lines) on the RF2 feed on my other TV's around the house. I didn't have this interference on my Sky+ box the picture was perfect.

I have tried re-tuning to an RF channel that is away from all Digital and analogue signals and this hasn't helped.

I have read on the net there has been issues with certain makes of Sky hD boxes causing 'internal' interference on the RF2 output - has anyone else had this problem - and is the only fix to have box swapped?

Thanks in advance

Neil 

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Community Coordinator
Robert-B

Re: Sky HD box RF2 picture interference

Hi tukky142,

Have you already tried matching the RF channel number to what the Sky+ box was set to?

Also do you get the same interference if you connect the RF cable direct to a single TV?

Robert-B
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Senior Member (Platinum)
Kenneth+M

Use as low a RF Channel number as possible.  Check for channel options here .  Try for one that's ideally two steps away from anything local.  Is your ordinary tv aerial connected to the back of the digibox, or, if not, is it really near the RF2 Out port on the digibox, or the cable.  You may be getting slight analogue interference if too close.  A better screened aerial cable also helps if necessary.  Are all secondary tv's properly tuned to your RF Channel Number?

Occasional Visitor
blackieadam

Hi there I'm having a problem with picture and sound via my rf out 2 socket, im using a 20m standard pre made coaxial cable plus a male/female adapter at the sky box end and a magic eye, the picture it is producing is watchable but still rather grainy (I have tried every channel there is) but my main problem is the sound on the second TV cuts out intermittently for a few seconds then goes back to normal, is there something I'm missing, the sound cut outs cause it to be a very annoying viewing experience.

Super User
Mark39

When you say you've 'tried every channel there is', do you mean you've changed the RF output channel from the default 68 and it hasn't improved the graininess?

If so, the likelihood is that your cable is the problem. Any length of cable will attenuate the RF output signal to some extent, and 20 metres is a fair length. With good quality cable it should be ok but some ready made cables are of pretty poor quality (are the plugs at either end moulded on?) and reduce the signal excessively. You could try an aerial amp at the RF output end to boost the signal and make up for the losses in the cable.

The sound problem may be linked to poor signal too. Most TVs will mute the sound when the signal becomes too poor, causing the dropouts you're experiencing. Try temporarily connecting the RF out via a short cable to a nearby TV - if the sound dropouts disappear it suggests the problem is related to the long cable.

Occasional Visitor
cookie58

dose new hd box have rf outputs ie for second tv?

Community Coordinator
Robert

Re: dose new hd box have rf outputs ie for second tv?

Hi cookie58,

The Sky+HD boxes still contain RF output sockets including one with 9v power supply to support a tvLINK. The new SkyHD (non Sky+) boxes however do not contain this and will not support a tvLINK as these boxes lack an RF output socket with 9v Power Supply.

You should however still be able to connect an RF cable between either box and a second TV to tune this in. As mentioned above however, only the Sky+HD box will support a tvLINK and allow you to remotely control the box from a second TV.

Robert
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.