Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
esofagus

Sky+HD 'No Signal is being received' - new box, still problem

Hi everybody

We recently upgraded to Sky+HD (about a month ago). Up until then we had the 'normal' Sky+ box; no problem whatsoever.

Upon receiving the Sky+HD we performed the self-installation as per the instruction and everything went smoothly. Within a couple of days, however, we started to notice that occasionally, upon selecting an HD channel, we'd get a message saying 'No Signal' being received. By selecting the next channel up or down, then returning to the original channel, the message would disappear.

We tried a 'fix' that was listed on this forum and also went through another procedure with a guy on the Sky Tech Support helpline. Still had the problem, and it got worse and eventually it seemed to happen to the non-HD channels too. Eventually we booked an engineer callout and he came the other day and replaced the box (he couldn't find any faults with our dish and it was all correctly tuned). He said the signal was a lot better on the new box.

However, the day after the new box was installed, the problem has re-occurred twice.

What I find suspicious is that up until switching to Sky+HD, we had no problems at all, so it's either that the boxes are faulty or that there is some sort of problem in the broadcast of the HD channels.

Can someone please shed any light? We are still covered by the warranty so I'm sure if I ring Sky they will send another engineer round but it's a real hassle. 

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
Mark39

Re: Sky+HD 'No Signal is being received' - new box, still problem

esofagus wrote:

Hi everybody

Eventually we booked an engineer callout and he came the other day and replaced the box (he couldn't find any faults with our dish and it was all correctly tuned). He said the signal was a lot better on the new box.

However, the day after the new box was installed, the problem has re-occurred twice.

What I find suspicious is that up until switching to Sky+HD, we had no problems at all, so it's either that the boxes are faulty or that there is some sort of problem in the broadcast of the HD channels.

Hmm. Hard to see how the signal could have improved just by changing the box, if it's still the same dish, connecting cable and alignment! Sounds like installer hogwash. Yes, the signal strength display of the default transponder may have looked better on the replacement box, but that's probably just down to manufacturing tolerance.

If, as the installer says, the signal's ok at the end of the cable, the most likely cause is a fault with the Sky box - and more specifically one of the many bugs in the latest software on the Sky box.

I appreciate it's hassle, but the only real solution is another new not refurbished box. You may have to keep calling Sky until you get one that works. Either that, or wait till Sky fix the software problem - but don't hold your breath, these issues have been around since October last year.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Occasional Visitor
esofagus

Thanks for your reply Mark, so is this a common problem then? 

It did cross my mind that Sky might just be sending the same faulty boxes round and round and round. No wonder they now give them out free of charge!

Luckily we are only 1 month into our contract so the warranty is valid for another 11, in which case if Sky really wants to send me an engineer a month and a 'new' box every month then they might want to think twice and send me ONE box that works! 

Occasional Visitor
Haybow

Hi,

We are having the very same problem....Our old sky box was fine but sky said they would give us a "Better effect" and give us a new box!

It would not record because "no signal is being received" We had to turn it off and on consantly.

An engineer came out and fitted a new dish, A few hours after he went "no signal is being received".

Waited for another engineer to come out who put a reconditioned box in, A few hours after he went....yes you've guessed it, the same massage.

I have just spent the morning talking to two customer support boys (the first one cut me off) the second sounded drunk and told me all about how he had hit a deer in his car the night before...stange.

Now we are having to wait twelve days for a (special) engineer to put a new cable in.

After reading your problem and the reply from mark I am worried that we will never get this fixed.

please let me know how you get on.

Sky "believe in better"

I am not covinced.

Regular Visitor
HHCliff

HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. ENGINEER CAME OUT AND CHANGED THE BOX. OK FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS BUT PROBLEM HAS NOW RETURNED AGAIN. COME ON SKY, THIS IS A COMMON PROBLEM AND NEEDS TO SORTING FOR YOUR CUSTOMERS!

Occasional Visitor
MikeV

I am having the same problem and have read this on numerous other sites.  Can somebody at sky please comment on this and suggest a suitable course of action.

I had no problems like this with the old SKY+ (non-HD) box, and I'm not happy about losing recordings due to this.  It's not even the same signal that drops out each time either!

Mike

Community Coordinator
Shelz

Hi everyone,

I am sorry for the delay in responding to this thread, would I be able to ask all that have posted her to respond with your box Model and Version number please so that we can see if there is something that we can do to rectify this issue?

Many thanks.

Shelz
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Regular Visitor
HHCliff

Hi Its a 1TB box Sky part code 14390

fosman

I'm having this problem also. At first, Sky told me that I had to deal with LoveDigital who installed my system. LD sent an engineer, looked at the box, told me it was fine and there was no problem. Sent another engineer, and told me I had to replace my box (I had a Thompson HD box), recommended that I upgrade to a Samsung box (at a cost of £80) and that would solve the problem. I paid the money in good faith.

Problem returned AGAIN. LD sent an engineer round, then told me that my signal was very low - they have now attached an amplifier to the dish router (it's a communal system). Signal strength has in increased, and it is better (happens every other day, rather than every day) but the problem still persist. Last night infact, it happened mid programme!

So, Sky/LD have gone from - "You're making it up" to "It's an issue with your box" to "it's an issue with your dish" and now, looking here (and elsewhere) it's an issue that many people are suffering.

I have recorded the problem happening, and posted it here:

Sky Signal Issues

Could we please get a proper investigation into this problem, with Sky providing a genuinely workable solution. It is crazy that customers are being asked to pay an extra £10 a month for HD, only for it to break our systems and affect everything from sechduled recordings to standard viewing.

Thanks,

F

Community Coordinator
Tricia07

Hi fosman,

I can appreciate how frustrating this issue must be causing you. I can see from the recording you have posted that there is an ongoing issue causing this problem.

I am afraid that because you live in a communal system LoveDigital is responsible for the equipment in the property from your dish, sky box and cabling, we are only able to supply the viewing card and subscription.

It does look like LoveDigital has tried to help however, could you try to contact them again and perhaps ask to speak to a supervisor or someone senior to help try to resolve the ongoing issue.

Please keep us updated on how you get on.

Thanks

Tricia07
Community Coordinator

Visitor
iain+spence

im also having this problem, my box is a samsung hd box. if i go into the signal screen its only the first signal that drops and only when the sky is on a hd channel. i swapped the 2 cables and its still the top signal losing. all my other sky boxes are fine and this box is fine watching sd channels. definately something wrong the box

Regular Visitor
HHCliff

Hi Tricia07,  Any update about what Sky are doing to resolve the problem for the rest of us?

Community Coordinator
Shelz

Hi HHCliff,

Would you be able to provide me with your version and model number from your box from your details menu on your box please?

1. Pressing SERVICES on the remote control

2. Scrolling right to the "settings" icon and press select

3. Scroll along to "details" and select.

This is just so we have some additional information about the box so we can try and assist further,

Many thanks.

Shelz
Community Coordinator

Visitor
iain+spence

hi, i know you wern't talking to me but i do have the same problems. my version is 973004 and model number is SYSF26.80

it only jumps and loses signal when on hd, i have 2 other boxes that are sd and all 3 work fine on sd

fosman

Hi Tricia07,

While I appericate that you may wish to delegate the responsibilty of this to Love Digital, it's clear that from some very quick research here and else where that this is an issue that effects a number of Sky customers - both communal and otherwise. As providers of the service, I would hope that you would investigate this problem properly and provide us all with a workable solution.

LD have no idea what is causing the problem - having replaced my box and checked my dish, they are playing the same guess work as the reast of us. It seems clear to me that the hardware that you are providing to LD is obviously not up to standard of recieveing the HD signal and software you are pumping through it.

I have taken several days off work, had number of engineers round, have paid money for upgrades, and still no solution has been forth coming. I pay Sky money every month to gain a certain level of service. Today, I came back after being away for a few days to have a number of recordings failed, which is beginning to negate the usefulness of your service.

I remain disappointed.

faraz