Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Retired Staff Member
GarryC

Re: Sky+HD Box keeps freezing

Hi MadMax68,

Sorry you did not receive a reply to your last comment.  It is not good all of your recordings seem to be failing due to the box freezing.

Can you let me know, if you press 'i' on a failed recording, what the reason it failed is?

Thanks,

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Getting There
MadMax68

I didn't realise you could - I've deleted all the failed recordings. I will do so when te next one fails.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Getting There
MadMax68

Had enough now - request sent by my iPhone app nt even registered as failed - presumably because the box had already crashed. I sense a call to cancelhe service and put the box in the bin. BT vision, phone and Internet beckons.
Getting There
kitiara

I have just started to have problems with my sky+ HD box.  At first it was saying that the viewing card may not be entered correctly.  So, I turned the box off at the mains, took the card out put it back in and turned the box back on.  All the channels worked for about 5 minutes and then got the same error messages on all sky channels and HD channels, but free view channels worked.

I have phoned sky up twice, the first time we tried some things on settings and re-installing, but again the channels only worked for a few minutes.

Today I phoned up sky and we did a complete re-fresh thingy (where it wipes all your recorded programmes) and it all seemed to work again, but was slow.  At sky they said that I may need a new box as mine is 3 years old, but surely they should last longer than that!

After getting off the phone with sky, my box froze again and stopped working, so i turned it off at the mains for 10 minutes and now it won't even come off stand by!!

From reading the message boards, is it worth getting a new box, or switching service providers?

(oh and another complaint is that sky were meant to send me a wireless box for sky anytime + for free, but I never recieved it..:-( )

Wise Council
John8372

Have you tried switching it on with no viewing card in?

A box should last more than 3 years, but you will always get early failures of cheap electronic equipment. Of course you could always try a prove it was defected under the sale of goods act.

Sky charge £65 to come and swap your box with a working one. With that you get a 3 month warranty. Or if you sign into to your My Sky account you might be able to buy a replacement box for self install for about the same price. You would then get a 1 year warrant with this, but you would have to install it yourself.

Getting There
MrsRockguru

I have had the issue with freezing for the last 4 weeks or so.  It seems to be occuring more frequently now, symptoms:- channels freezing unable to move up or down, recording failing issue "power failure" which is strange as it does not show as turned off.  Recordings not stopping when they should red light showing but then its locked solid an will not change channels or show anything on the planner, or watching a programme or recording and it stops dead.  Going onto teletext on bbc channels and the system saying "interactive services not available, when two programmes being recorded" but the box is not recording anything. Each of the incidents requires pulling the power connection to reboot the box, and it starts to work correctly once its up again.

its a Amstrad DRX890

Model R003.047.28.009

Version 4F3101

Have called customer service they advised a planner rebuild which I have already done, not cleared the issue.  Going to try the force software upgrade once my recording has stopped tonight, cant do a complete rebuild as I have to many programmes still to watch on the system....

will update once the software rebuild has been done.

Aly

Getting There
Chris1974

[ Edited ]

Mine started freezing on Sunday evening.....I have tried planner rebuild, system reset and the whole switch off at the mains unplug and reconnect every cable one at a time via Live chat....at first it would work for about an hour then freeze...then it went to about 10mins...now it comes on for litteraly a few mins then freezes!!!

when it freezes the picture goes black or sometimes blue yet the sound continues unaffected... also if we are watching something we have recored the above happens but the blue lights on the front continue to circle, when this happens in both live TV and in recorded tv playback modes none of the remote buttons have any effect, the only way to get it to respond is to press and hold the power button on the top of the Sky HD box......then goes into red light power off mode.

Also have noticed the back of the viewing card appears to have witness marks of overheating and being burnt

I am not impressed, have only upgraded HD a few months ago.

Getting There
Evan+Grant

I have a Sky HD Thomson box from 2006. It has a number of problems (freezing, lost signal, no live pause, etc) which, to date, have always been fixed by disconnecting from power for 15 sec plus and then allowing to do a power on reset / reboot. I need to do this more and more often (about once/week now) and so the box cannot be trusted to record reliably when I am away for a week.

Because of above, and lack of Anytime+, I have agreed to get a new box from Sky for my main viewing. Scheduled to be installed tomorrow afternoon ...

I would still like the old Thomson box to work reliably so I can use it to "upgrade" my multiroom Sky+ box (used mainly by my sons). I see lots of suggestions across these forums pointing me at Satcure replacement power supply, or a local independent repairer.

Before I spend any money on it I wondered about simply putting it on a timeclock so that it switched off for an hour every night - in effect doing a power on reboot every day. I plan to use an old timeclock I once used to control a radiator (always assuming I can find it ...)

Has anyone tried this? Does a daily "reboot by timeclock" help at all?

Are there any particular times I should be sure to keep it on overnight (ie, is there any particular time Sky use for updates to Anytime, etc)? I am planning to go for switch off at 4am and switch on at 5am unless anyone has better advice.

Retired Staff Member
Anne-M

Hi Chris1974,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Can you let me know how long you have had the equipement for and if over 12 months - do you have any extended warranty on the system?

Thanks,
Anne
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Getting There
Chris1974

Hello Anne.

I upgraded to Sky HD about 3 months ago....not very impressed to be having problems already..the box is now unusable as it freezes very quicky after turning on....thankfully my TV has built-in freeview.

I have an Engineer coming out to me in the morning.

Not Happy right now tbh

Retired Staff Member
GarryC

Hi Chris1974,

I can appreciate your frustration as the box is still so new, yet you are having issues with this.

Can you let us know how you get on with the engineer appointment today?

Thanks,
Getting There
Chris1974

The Engineer got here about 07:30.

He did a Software Update, then ran through a series of tests (recorded live TV...paused, rewound and playback) all was ok.

He said that 8 times out of 10 a software update cures the freezing issue...I asked if there was any routine "housekeeping"  I should be doing to help the system run along happily... he said "No, not really they look after themselves"

I also asked about the discolouring (witness marks that look like it has overheated) on the back of the card in the chip area...he said "some go like that some don't..nothing to worry about"

All was ok so he left just after 08:00.

My Otherhalf is at home all morning and is instructed to leave Sky on while she is home, and to ring me if anything untoward happens...so far so good...so fingers crossed all is ok

I Will update further tonight from home, as I've set a few things to record (using the iPhone SKY+ app) this afternoon along with Wimbledon.

Getting There
Chris1974

[ Edited ]

UPDATE:

After last Monday's engineer visit all WAS well...UNTIL this evening...Froze about an hour ago, then again about 30mins ago...now it won't work for more than 60seconds.

NOT IMPRESSED...esp as we had gone through and reprogrammed all our favourite programs into the planner last night.

Flipping brilliant work SKY!!!!!  :smileysad:

Retired Staff Member
kirsty+d

Hi Chris1974,

I am sorry that the service call does not seem to have solved your issue, did the engineer leave contact details for you? They often do and like to be notified if there are any problems shortly after a callout, it does sound like he may need to come back out.

Let us know if you manage to get hold of him or need to book a new callout?

Regards,

Getting There
Chris1974

[ Edited ]

Hello Kirsty

I was on live help/chat late Sat night (after posting on here) and have booked another Engineer visit...BUT the earliest slot is not until Tues 17th of July.

So I'm not going to see the British Formula 1 GP in HD!  the main reason I upgraded to HD tbh! NOT HAPPY AT ALL.

I asked the Sky chat agent to advise the Engineer that I will be expecting a new box, I don't want this current one "fixed" again as I can't keep taking time off work.

I will be expecting a credit ££ for the period of no skyHD that I'm paying for.

NOT HAPPY