Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
CNW
Visitor
CNW
Accepted Solution

Sky+ HD 1TB - record button not working on remote or box

Hi - since last night my sky+ HD 1tb box (Amstrad) won't record any programs.  When I press the R button the mini menu comes up, and when I press the R button again nothing happens.  The same goes for pressing the select button to set a reminder.

I can still watch recorded material and move anytime+ movies over to my recorded items.  I just can't record.

My signals strength and quality is fine on both feeds.

I have contacted sky technical support and have reset the box.  I have also downloaded the latest software via forced upgrade, but the problem still persists.

I have been informed by sky tech support that the next step is to format my box.  Something I am very reluctant to do.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Community Coordinator
Robert-B

Re: Sky+ HD 1TB - record button not working on remote or box

[ Edited ]

Hi CNW,

Have you already tried the planner rebuild procedure? This will not delete any existing recordings.

If you have then the next step will be the full system reset which will reformat and delete everything.

Robert-B
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
CNW
Visitor
CNW

Thanks for the response, but is that seriously the only option?  I have spent months saving up films to watch and keep - and these will all be deleted.  I personally do not think a delete and hope approach is acceptable.  Do you happen to know what caused the issues people are reporting?

Super User
caesarome

CNW wrote:

Thanks for the response, but is that seriously the only option? 

No there is a planner rebuild option, have you tried it ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Occasional Visitor
AndyMakings

I have a very similar issue with my 1TB box.  9 times out of 10 I get exactly the same issue, it won't accept the record button being pressed.  Every now and again it will accept a record, plus everything that was in the planner before this issue started over 1.5 weeks ago is still recording.

I've also done the forced upgrade and the Planner rebuild but with over 800GB of recordings I really don't want to format it.

Sky need to look at the root cause of this issue, the software on the box must tell them the error in a log somewhere.

I don't want to lose everything by formatting the box only for it to happen again in another 3 months!

Come on sky find out what's wrong with it rather than using the sledge hammer approach.

Regards

Andy

Community Coordinator
Malcolm-M

Hi AndyMakings, does it make any difference if you press the record button on the box itself?

Malcolm-M
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Occasional Visitor
Dexxx

I have exactly the same issue on my 1tb box as the one mentioned above. The record button on the remote is not working 90% of the time, when you press it the mini menu comes up, lights flash on remote and the box but nothing happens and it doesn't record. It also does not record when pushing the record button on the box itself. Some of my series links have randomly stopped recording and it is getting very irritating. Strangely the button will suddenly start working for a few records then stop, it did this the other day after a success remote record request from my iphone app. This really seems like a software issue rather than a hardware issue and its clearly affecting more than one person. I have done the reset, forced software download, planner rebuild and the only thing left is the full system rebuild that like the others i really do not want to do.
Also know if I call Sky they will tell me to do all the stuff I have already done.
What do you suggest? Are you able to tell me what the latest software version is? Any help so I do not lose all my recordings would be appreciated
Occasional Visitor
ChrisV

I had the same issue today.  Coronation Street dropped off the recording list (but was previously series linked) and when I tried to add it back on, the record button did nothing at all.  Same when I tried to record current programme or any other programme via the planner or the banner that comes up when you press up arrow.  I called sky and they said it isn't a "common" fault, blah, blah.  Not sure I believe them reading these threads ;-)

Anyway, I *think* I have solved my issue... We've got young kids and have, amongst other things, Peppa Pig on series link.  Well they are only 5 minutes long, but there are 664 episides recorded!!  (I've only had the box a couple of months).  I deleted a few and it came back to life so I am wondering if there is a "total number of recording" limit or something on the box?  There's 75% disk space free but we record other things like Thomas and Timmy, both of which have a lot of episodes!

I hope this helps.

Chris

Occasional Visitor
Woland

Thanks for that.
I had the same problem; plenty of space on the disk but couldn't record. Deleting hundreds of postman pats, bob the builder, etc fixed it.
Super User
Mark39

I've read elsewhere that there's been a hard-coded limit of 1000 recordings built into the Sky box code since day 1. If that's correct it would account for these problems. I guess the terabyte size of boxes has made it more likely that the limit will be breached.

Occasional Visitor
whittington

I have been pointed in this direction as i have a similar problem on my HD+Box avich is only 500Gb and have posted this problem elswhere.All my record features are woking Ok from the EPG, But nott when i  press"R" for recording without interruption. If anyone can help with this problm do lease advise?

Super User
kato

whittington wrote:

I have been pointed in this direction as i have a similar problem on my HD+Box avich is only 500Gb and have posted this problem elswhere.All my record features are woking Ok from the EPG, But nott when i  press"R" for recording without interruption. If anyone can help with this problm do lease advise?

Have you tried the planner rebuild option?

http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/tv/sky-plus-hd/recording/guide-to-performing-a-planner-rebuild/

___________________________________________________________________________________________

If you have been helped by someone please click on the thumbs up icon to give them Likes.
Occasional Visitor
fruitgum

can't get my record button to work ,now missed Strictly what's going on?
Super User
caesarome

have you tried the suggestions already posted in this thread, including the planner rebuild option ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Occasional Visitor
poltasha

wish i,d seen this before i ordered new one but it worked so i can still record whilst waiting on the new remote, thankyou