Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Contributor
gpd1965

Re: Sky Go for Samsung Galaxy Tablet Range , Galaxy Tab 2 , 7inch, 10.1 inch and Galaxy Note 10.1 PL

Hi Sky

Given the new support process that Alun has implemented, one which puts customer needs a little higher up, this can be tested here. There is a different opinion on something in Aluns statement and I think we would all be grateful for your clarification.

When we menton landscape do you mean that the UI will NOT be in landscape but the vudeo playback will be, or that Video will alos be Portrait only

thanks for your clarification

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Contributor
gpd1965

Re: Sky Go for Samsung Galaxy Tablet Range , Galaxy Tab 2 , 7inch, 10.1 inch and Galaxy Note 10.1 PL

well i am with 4thslip, why bother to state that the UI is ony going to be in portrait, nobody really cares. It is the playback that people will be interested in.

Hopefully this is not the case but our experience has taught us to "believe in worse"

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
KingfisherUK

gpd1965

You say "nobody really cares" but you can guarantee there will be a group of users who will be the first to scream and shout that the UI isn't in landscape and that that is wrong for a tablet app. At least this way, Sky have made people aware of this from the start.

We wanted them to be open, they've been open and told us the way it will be.

However, for now we'll agree to disagree and hopefully someone from Sky will clarify this point for us shortly.

I am not a Sky employee, any opinions in my posts are entirely my own.

Personally I think I’m more than happy to give credit to Sky here; they have delivered a timeline, for an android specific tablet app, within the 2 weeks as promised.

It’s a small, but very positive step forward.

Taking the major issues out of the equation just for now, I think a lot of us were concerned we would never find this out, let alone get to the point where we could use one on our current devices.

If Alun and the team deliver (and at the moment they seem to be conscious of this), we could all be testing a beta version within a handful of weeks.

I know that’s not exactly how we would have wanted it; it’s taken an unfathomable amount of time to get here and have our voices heard, but for me something is better than nothing and for a company like Sky to be so open and engage us (especially using us for beta testing - I hope I have read that correctly?) is something we should all be very happy we have helped bring to fruition.

Although there is a huge way to go, I feel they have earned a tiny part of my trust back and I’m hoping to be enjoying the services I feel I should have available to me sometime in the near future.

Frequent Visitor
GALAXY10OWNER

Beta may start in November but Beta is just that, a chance for SKY to practice something not yet sorted or finalised, on its customers and who knows how that will effect the running of your Tablet at the time they are practicing their new system on it!

Contributor
gpd1965

I agree with everything you have said,

Super User
rscott

GALAXY10OWNER wrote:

Beta may start in November but Beta is just that, a chance for SKY to practice something not yet sorted or finalised, on its customers and who knows how that will effect the running of your Tablet at the time they are practicing their new system on it!

No - the statement clearly says Beta in September, with full launch in November of the tablet specific version.

Super User
KingfisherUK

GALAXY10OWNER,

Beta starts in September with FULL launch November.

Realistically, what more could we have asked for? They can't just magic a working app out of thin air and by making a PUBLIC beta available, this will speed up the development no end as they will get real world information straight away.

Would you rather they kept everything in house and didn't release until Phase 3 and everything was perfect? Would you rather wait another year for a fully working product, or something that works well enough within 3-4 months?

Realistically, they can't release an app now. I think what they have proposed is the best we could have hoped for under the circumstances.

Unless anyone has a DeLorean and a Flux Capacitor going spare? :smileylol:

Good news.

It has just been confirmed by one of the devs that it will only be the UI that is locked in portrait mode. Streaming WILL be in landscape.

I think the ui will be in portrait but the video will be in landscape. That is how it works on the sky tyne and wear app. If that is the case then I think most of us will live with that. Alun does say that the ui will be put into landscape in phase 3. Lets also hope the information keeps on coming then some of the damage that sky has caused over this may be repaired. But What puzzels me is why we were told a month ago that phase 1 would not include tablet support and now we are told it does. Also a list of the devices it will support would be helpful rather then just manufacturer.
Super User
KingfisherUK

mark123467

I think the Phase 1 referred to previously was something to do with the existing Sky Go app/infrastructure. These new "Phases" relate to the specific tablet support project.

Please can you ask that developer to get someone to document this fact on this forum board. Its not that i dont believe anyone but i think experience has taught us to be cautious.

I for one would be happy if UI was locked but streaming in either

Occasional Visitor
UK+Templar

[ Edited ]

So this has noting to do with the apple battle against the Samsung Note 10.1 ?
All other companies have their apps working in line with other releases but then again they are not <removed>

moderator note: removed unfounded allegations

Contributor
Brock123

KingfisherUK wrote:
Good news.

It has just been confirmed by one of the devs that it will only be the UI that is locked in portrait mode. Streaming WILL be in landscape.
ah good. it did sound a bit strange :smileyvery-happy:

------------------------------------------------
Android version of "Sky News for iPad" please - we did it for Sky Go, don't stop there!
Frequent Visitor
GALAXY10OWNER

I'll believe it working when I see it working on our Tablet !