Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Regular Visitor
JG1287

Sky Go crashes every single time / mac / FF / Safari

Hi, I used to be able to use Sky Player with no problems. However, I haven't been able to use Sky Go once , it just crashes every single time I press play on a channel. Totally repeatable and it happens every time so the service is unusable.

It crashes in Firefox & Safari. (Safari tells me it may be casused by the coreclr plugin)

I'm on a 10.5.8 Mac with Silverlight 4.

I've reinstalled Silverlight countless times (which Microsoft don't make easy, do they?)

I can copy & paste a crash report if that helps.

Please help, this is driving me crazy.

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Contributor
Manchestersky

Re: Sky Go crashes every single time / mac / FF / Safari

JG1287 wrote:

Hi, I used to be able to use Sky Player with no problems. However, I haven't been able to use Sky Go once , it just crashes every single time I press play on a channel. Totally repeatable and it happens every time so the service is unusable.

It crashes in Firefox & Safari. (Safari tells me it may be casused by the coreclr plugin)

I'm on a 10.5.8 Mac with Silverlight 4.

I've reinstalled Silverlight countless times (which Microsoft don't make easy, do they?)

I can copy & paste a crash report if that helps.

Please help, this is driving me crazy.

See my similar problem here

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Using-Sky-Go/SKY-GO-keeps-crashing-telling-me-it-s-open-in-another-windo...

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Community Coordinator
Robert

Hi JG1287, 

Welcome to our Help Forum. I'm sorry to see you are experiencing issues with Sky Go on your Mac. 

I'd recommend before re-installing silverlight from the link below, removing the Silverlight plugin as it would appear this may be corrupt. You can do this by selecting your Home folder from the Go menu on the desktop, open the Library folder and navigate to Internet Plug-ins, find the Silverlight plugin and drag this to your trash deleting it.

Once you've followed the steps above, please download and install latest version of Microsoft Silverlight available from http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight ?

Please let us know how you get on with this.

Robert
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Contributor
Manchestersky

[ Edited ]

Robert wrote:

Hi JG1287, 

Welcome to our Help Forum. I'm sorry to see you are experiencing issues with Sky Go on your Mac. 

I'd recommend before re-installing silverlight from the link below, removing the Silverlight plugin as it would appear this may be corrupt. You can do this by selecting your Home folder from the Go menu on the desktop, open the Library folder and navigate to Internet Plug-ins, find the Silverlight plugin and drag this to your trash deleting it.

Once you've followed the steps above, please download and install latest version of Microsoft Silverlight available from http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight ?

OK, I've deleted the plugin, and re-installed Silverlight, I'll let you know how I get on.

Silverlight Version 4.0 (4.0.60831.0) (updated recently)

Default Browser Camino Version 2.0.9 (1.9.0.19 2011091218)

I'll try my Safari Version 5.1.1 (6534.51.22)

next time I access SKY GO website, probably overnight soon.

Occasional Visitor
snow87

I have found this whole sky go process abhorrent. I have followed ALL instructions gleamed from hours spent trawling through sites such as these and numerous troubleshooting guides and a new issue comes up each time. A few days ago I watched programmes on sky go anytime+ without any issues at all, then more recently I have experienced painfully slow buffering speeds and constant buffering. We are now at a stage where the site does not load the content at all, the screen merely freezes. Not only this, but following a guide found here;

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Setting-Up-Sky-Go/UNABLE-TO-GET-SKY-GO-ON-MAC-AT-ALL/td-p/173965

I uninstalled Silverlight and Play Ready, reinstalled Silverlight and then tried to download the Sky Go app. All that has happened is the screen has frozen on the "Loading...Please wait this may take 2 minutes" screen. This is despite the fact that just YESTERDAY I managed to download the Sky Go app just fine, and before you ask, I have already fully removed the application, because (guess what!) it crashed whilst trying to use it. This is an appalling service, it really is. Looking back through these columns similar issues have been going on for months, and I have yet to come across one person who has actually had their problem resolved by these standardised, quick-fix solutions every single Sky advisor seems to trot out. I want a SOLUTION to this issue as soon as possible. Not one of these walk throughs about uninstalling and reinstalling silverlight - i want an actual solution. This service should not be offered if it is so buggy and difficult to fix. I am astounded sky have found it so difficult when BBC/Channel 4/ITV all have comparable services which work absolutely fine. Why are there so many issues? And if I am given a 'copy-and-pasted' walkthrough about silverlight and playready i will be making a formal complaint, specifying the guilty 'advisor'.

My Operating system is Mac OSX 10.6.8 and I have the same issue on every browser (Firefox/Safari/Chrome).

What happens with each when I try to watch sky go anytime;

Firefox - loads to 100% then freezes

Chrome - loads to a random number then freezes

Safari - does not load at all and I get a 'plug-in failure' message on a grey-ish screen where the content should be

I HAVE UNINSTALLED AND REINSTALLED SILVERLIGHT WHILST MAKING SURE TO REMOVE PLAYREADY AFTERWARD AT LEAST 4 TIMES. Just to be clear! 

Occasional Visitor
snow87

AND NOW SKY GO WILL NOT RECOGNISE MY COMPUTER, DESPITE IT BEING REGISTERED YESTERDAY!!!

This is unbelieveable, I am complaining straight after this post.

Super User
caesarome

If it doesn't now recognise your computer you might be using something on it that has interfered with it. Do you use ccleaner for example ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Regular Visitor
JG1287

Hi, as I already stated in my original post, I have removed and reinstalled Silverlight numerous times. Please advise.

Regular Visitor
JG1287

Just removed the silverlight plugin again, and done exactly as you said. Still crashes the browser every single time. I suspect this is a silverlight issue.

Contributor
Manchestersky

[ Edited ]

Robert wrote:

Hi JG1287, 

OK, re-installed everything as recommended.

SKY Go does , after one day, appear more stable, though it took hour of trying to get the desktop app to recognise the download queue, which I then had to keep setting up on the website. Many, many attempts ...................

When I did crash it, I still go the error message, only one copy of go app can run, even though the previous window and app has closed

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/213/screenshot20111105at072.jpg/

Staff (Retired)
GarryC

Hi JG1287,

Thanks for trying the troubleshooting steps for us.  Are you able to download any of the Anytime content and watch using the Sky Go Desktop application, or does this also present you with issues?

Thanks,

Staff (Retired)
GarryC

Hi Manchestersky,

Now that you have reinstalled everything, are your issues resolved? Do you have the Sky Go Desktop application installed on any other devices?

Thanks,

Regular Visitor
JG1287

I have just downloaded Sky Desktop. This crashes too before I can use the video.

I would ask Microsoft for a fix ASAP, or even better, use some other system as Silverlight is hideous.

Neither of those helps me though so please advise. I'd quite like to use your service.

Contributor
Manchestersky

Manchestersky wrote:

Robert wrote:

Hi JG1287, 

OK, re-installed everything as recommended.

SKY Go does , after one day, appear more stable, though it took hour of trying to get the desktop app to recognise the download queue, which I then had to keep setting up on the website. Many, many attempts ...................

When I did crash it, I still go the error message, only one copy of go app can run, even though the previous window and app has closed

Friday 11/11/11

4 days it lasted, and that was through not being used.

Same problem after deleting and reloading everything

Set up downloads, check queue, CRASHES,

Staff (Retired)
GarryC

Hi JG1287,

I know you have mentioned you have uninstalled Silverlight on several occasions, however after uninstalling, and before reinstalling, have you been deleting the PlayReady folder?

If you have not been removing this folder, then Silverlight won't be completely removed from your Mac.  You can find instructions on how to delete the PlayReady folder here.

Thanks,