Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
CJStannard2012

Sky Go and Windows 8

Well perhaps rather foolishly I upgraded my laptop which was one of my registered devices to Windows 8 on Friday.

Went to watch the F1 qualifying on Saturday and it said it did not recognise my device as one of the registered ones. This seemed reasonable so I removed the old entry for the device and let it add it again. It worked fine yesterday.

Today I go to use it again to watch the race - and now it once agan says it does not recognise my device! This is crazy as I only added it yesterday and nothing on the laptop changed. And of course with the 1 change per month I cannot change it again and watch the race, which is most annoying.

Any clues what I can do to get it working again? Or is it just a waste of time on Windows 8?

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Occasional Visitor
CJStannard2012

Re: Sky Go and Windows 8

Well I spoke with support and they said Windows 8 is not supported, very disappointing as its hardly unexpected that it came out on the 26th. So now I am stuck with a monthly ticket I cannot use. It will of course be cancelled as its no use to me now!

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Occasional Visitor
Jason+Jennings

Hi

I also found that it doesnt work in Internet Explorer under Windows 8, but don't be dismayed!

It works fine under the latest version of Mozilla Firefox (downloaded today 30-10-12)

J

Occasional Visitor
maddy1one

hi i have just spoken to a sky advisor who informs me that Windows 8 is not supported by sky go as yet and is unclear as to when this will happen. why then was i able to register a device running this OS? Why can i not be allowed to re-register my other laptop instead of having to wait until the end of the month and HOPEFULLY  be able to register it. also why is there no warning or information on the sky website with regards to compatability issues?

Contributor
Dave+Lorde

It works fine here with Windows 8 using the Google Chrome browser.

I suspect when they say Windows 8 isn't supported, they mean that they can't yet provide any support for problems with SkyGo on Windows 8.

This is not suprising, as their tech teams seem way behind the curve, especially on mobile devices.

Contributor
philgraham

I have Windows 8 and IE10, and there is a way of getting Sky Go working.  On the Sky Go page, press the F12 function key.  This will bring up some text up at the bottom of the page, along with a selection of tabs, including File, Find, etc.  On that tab row is a tab called Browser Mode.  Select that tab, and in the dropdown that appears, select Internet Explorer 9.  Close the text either by clicking the X at the top of the section you opened, or by pressing F12 again.  This allows the Sky Go page to run in an IE9 browser, until such time as Sky update Sky Go to run fully in Windows 8/IE10.  Hopefully this should solve your problem, without the need to install extra browsers, just to run Sky Go.

Occasional Visitor
16albert

Absolute genius. Well done and thanks a bunch.

Frequent Contributor (Platinum)
Mouse38

Nice to see a statement from Sky's Managing Director for Product Services regarding Sky Go on Android, would he like to comment on the lack of full compatibility with Windows 8. This problems has existed for a very long time.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
These ideas are my own, I do not work for Sky. I have been a long term Sky User with extensive professional experience with AV equipment.
Sky DRX895 1TB, Sky Gnome, PlusNet Unlimited Fibre, Ethernet connected to box.
Frequent Contributor (Platinum)
Mouse38

13 months after I first raised this issue... still not supported !

I just don't believe it !

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
These ideas are my own, I do not work for Sky. I have been a long term Sky User with extensive professional experience with AV equipment.
Sky DRX895 1TB, Sky Gnome, PlusNet Unlimited Fibre, Ethernet connected to box.