Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Contributor
daz2000

Re: Sky Fibre Optic Broadband Coming Soon

Hi,

Can someone advise me please.

I have today ordered sky fibre unlimited online and have an installation date of : 8th May

When I goto bt.com/inifinity and see if I can get that it says :

Sorry, you're not currently able to get BT Infinity. This may be because your area has not been enabled yet, or your individual line does not support super-fast broadband. Register your interest and we'll let you know if this changes.

I've checked on samknows and my exchange has :

BT FTTC

Sky Broadband / Easynet LLU

Anyone know if this is what I need and why I can get it with sky and not BT?

Cheers

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Contributor
DJward

@daz2000. i assume you have sky line rental? i dont think BT recognise sky landlines as compatible for infinity, as those checkers stopped working once i moved to sky. house number and postcode option works fine though.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Contributor
daz2000

Yes, I do have sky line rental, but even when putting my address details into bt website, it says bt infinty not available!

Contributor
DJward

not sure maybe a bt glitch. i just tested their site and it says after entering my phone number.

Your address details

As you’re not on a BT line, we need to check against your address.
Please enter your details below

i entered my house number and postcode and get the BT infinity option. if you have Sky Fibre on the way i wouldn't worry to much :smileyvery-happy:

Contributor
daz2000

I hope your right, a little nervous!!

Contributor
xbox360

gareth me too just left sky bb to go over to bt infinity being installed on the 1st may too well done it will be good trust me pal i have seen this in action too very fast pal no drop out very good .

Contributor
DJward

Had fibre installed today, and had a incredibly steady throughput of 4.5MB/s whenever I have tested the line today. Very happy :smileyvery-happy:

Regular Visitor
TGillies

Sooooo... What a day!! Where do I start.

Ordered Sky Fibre last week online on the day of release, no issues, order successful, router received Tuesday and engineer called today. Engineer came, set everything up successfully, switched me on at the cabinet, etc, etc, everything seemed fine. Waited for '@' light to appear on router, to no avail. Engineer called Sky to say everything was set up successfully and that I had to be switched on at their end, engineer told me that if the light doesn't appear in a few hours to give Sky a call back, ok no problem c ya.

After 3 hours of waiting still no light, called Sky, done some tests then broke the news that Sky Fibre wasn't actually ready on my exchange until June/July!! (The rage began to run through me)

They offered their apologies and said the site shouldn't have let me order, explained that it was due to the it just bein lauched and some bugs had to be fixed. I said ok then just put me back to my old broadband connection and ill wait. Erm no.... Told me I had to wait a week to get my old connection back!!! (What a joke, I know) offered me free broadband for 6 months due to their error. To which I declined, hung up, called cancellations and cancelled the LOT. Near 100 pounds worth of sky tv, phone and broadband. I was fuming.

On a day I was looking forward to the long awaited 40mb fibre broadband I end up with no broadband from sky, shocking. So that's it all gone due to them being complete and utter muppet.

Ordered BT Infinty 2 80mb which gets installed next friday, sorry sky but after 6 years, you only have yourselves to blame.

Hope everyones elses installations went ok, because this was a nightmare. Peace out
Contributor
Jaybee2

Sorry to hear what happened.  I feel for you.

Sky need to sort out their fibre availability checker when you order from the web site.  Some people (like me) were told they couldn't have fibre when it is available, and some people (like you) are allowed to order it when it isn't available.

It makes you wonder what sort of testing Sky have done before going live.

Contributor
xbox360

hello TGillies well done going with bt i have it now and well what can i say i have 3 laptops 3 xbox all runing the same time the speed is fast no cut off at all and bt have just put up the speed too so yes bt are the best thank god for bt home hub 3 is lovely too connection is fast very fast i can walk down the road and still get a fast connection with lots if speed so that,s it just letting you now.....:smileyhappy:

Regular Visitor
TGillies

Great to hear this! what speeds are u getting xbox? my estmate was 72mb, getting installed friday

Contributor
xbox360

hello TGillies yes i was told 70 but i am getting 74 great stuff pal happy days now and this is on fttc fab fab have a good friday then you will be very happy with bt i am pal /// after what people have been saying on here about bt it is a load of well you now bt are fab pal the very best to you .

Frequent Visitor
christine+chesworth

[ Edited ]

Is Sky Fibre octave supposed to be coming to this area or not in June. I have heard that is. If they don't stick to this promise i am seriously considering moving to another internet provider that can give me a better service. In all of twelve years since i have been with Sky i have never been able to get any better connection speed than 8.4 & very often even less. I dont mind paying for it if i am going to get quality for what i am paying for. I have made inquiires with Virgin Media who say for the price i was paying they could offer me speeds of 18.0mb & upwards now wouldn't that be a thing if Sky could match their performance but somehow i dont think that is ever going to happen however long i am with them so come June i have got to make a decision even if i can't get Virgin BT are offering BT Infinity maybe a bit more expensive but so what as long as they are offering a faster broadband which is more reliable i might consider the switch over. The only trouble is i am tied in a 12mth contract with Sky i will have to find out when that is likely to finish.

I dont wish to upset anyone at Sky the staff are lovely it is just the things they are told to tell people that are wrong.

I have been with Sky for roughly twelve years now & i was alway told i could obtain speeds of up to 12.0mb this is unfortunately hardly the case.

Now what are Sky going to do to rectify this. I have read a lot of comments made by let's say a lot of disinchanted customers that are not best happy by the lies they are told from Sky. It is with regret i find most of them to be true.

Yours sincerely

Mrs Christine Ellen Chesworth

<REMOVED>

Occasional Visitor
rickilambert

hi everyone,

i was interested in finding out when i can get the fibre optic service in my new build. we move out on the 29th of may in to our new apartment and as such we need all the line activating and so on , which is being done on that day (as such we do not have a home phone number yet so cant register our interest on the sky fibre page). 

I was told by the sales advisor that it is not currently in my area, but yet according to the bt infinity page i am able to get there service of upto 45mb or there basic package which was 10 iirc. 

As well as this virgin media is also available.

Do sky use the bt line and if so surely i should be able to get the sky fibre optic service?

I would very much appreciate some help with this matter, 

Kind regards

Ricki

Visitor
Tormula

Re: Sky Fibre Optic Broadband Coming Soon..... or they'll cancel your order and not tell you.

[ Edited ]

Just cancelled my Sky BB and phone and have ordered BT.

Was booked to have Fibre installed next Tuesday and if I hadnt called customer services to check everything was OK I'd have taken the day off work to wait for an engineer who had been cancelled.

Apparently they cancelled my order because there isnt enough capacity in my cabinet even though I managed to order 2 days before the official launch date.  Didnt think to tell me 3 weeks ago?  No, just appalling customer service.  I'd switch everything to Virgin if I lived in a Cabled area.

So even if you think your getting fibre from Sky dont be suprised if no one turns up on your install date.