Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
GM11

Re: Sky Broadband speed capped at 1Mb; actual speed is half this - Help

Hi

Did you ever get this sorted?

I am having the same problem, my download speed has been set to 1mb.

I have been with Sky for years and always had around 3mb, they moved me on to their equipment middle of May and now I am capped at 1mb.

How do you get them to put the old cap back?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Gordon

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
GM11

Hi

Should have replied to you Robert!

I am having the same problem, my download speed has been set to 1mb.

I have been with Sky for years and always had around 3mb, they moved me on to their equipment middle of May and now I am capped at 1mb.

How do you get them to put the old cap back?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Gordon

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
icklejitta

Call Sky Customer Support, and ask them to increase the speed and restart the Dynamic Line Management tests again,  enure you do not unplug or turn off your router for the next 10-12 days.

I have done this on two occasions & have had increased speed.

Be aware: The more times you unplug, disconnect or turn off your router will automatically tell the telephone exchange your line is unstable thus reducing your overall broadband speed.

To avoid this....once your new DLM tests have completed DO NOT mess with anything.

I hope this helps.

Occasional Visitor
clem0123

Hi

I signed up with Sky unlimited last week and was getting around 1.6Mb for the first few days. It then dropped to 0.3Mb. When I checked my account it said I'd been capped at 0.4Mb. I called the CST and they quickly changed the cap to 1.5Mb and i'm now getting around 1.2Mb but notice my neighbours are getting much higher speeds with BT posted on speedchecker. Just checked my router stats:

ADSL Link

Downstream

Upstream

Connection Speed

1500 kbps

413 kbps <script type="text/javascript"></script>

Line Attenuation <script type="text/javascript"></script>

67.0 dB

41.1 dB

Noise Margin <script type="text/javascript"></script>

11.3 dB

15.9 dB

Can anyone tell me if I can expect a higher speed? Thanks

Staff (Retired)
hadouken-andy

Hi clem0123,

Welcome to the forum!

Taking a look at your stats, in particular your Line Attenuation it would appear at 1.5mb is around the close to the max your line will be able to support. Though the noise margin is higher than our target of DB, this would suggest there may be room for slight improvement.

It would be worth giving our troubleshooting a go, this can help any loss of speed in your home.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Occasional Visitor
dozer360

im in the same position. the box says im getting 1mb but speedtest.net says im getting 0.6mb. i know my line can have more because when i was with O2 i had between 4mb and 7mb.

i am currently awaiting a callback from Sky to try and sort the problem but its already 25mins late.

Occasional Visitor
clem0123

looks like they've back in and capped me again. Stats now show:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed Line Attenuation Noise Margin
515 kbps413 kbps
67.0 dB41.1 dB
24.3 dB16.0 dB
Community Coordinator
lainys

Welcome to the Sky Forum

Can you tell us where your router is connected to the line, is it connected to the master socket or an extension?

Can you first of all try these trouble shooting steps to make sure your set up is correct

If it is connected to the master socket looking at the stats you posted the noise margin is sitting well above our target of 7db. This indicates that more speed is available and your line is not configured correctly.

You can use the contact us link to so we can re-configure your broadband.

Regards

Lainys
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Occasional Visitor
Maxim

I totally agree with hottonfan, I have been pushed onto unlimited because I kept going over my limit but it was only because it takes so long to do things with my broadband speed.  If they don't give you the speed they offer then we should get it unlimited with no charge. In this day and age surely we should have the option of Fibre optics in all areas. I can't catch up on TV programmes or watch video's on Youtube as it does nothing but buffer all the time. I've complained so many times but each time I have to go all round the house checking things, which is OK if you are able bodied but I am disabled. Sky are excellent with the other things but they fail miserably on Broadband

Occasional Visitor
tamdhu2

It was interesting to read this post as being a new customer to Sky's broadband I was expecting faster speeds but am restricted to between 0.8 and 1.8 mb. This is unacceptable but I would like to find out if this poor service is normal before I register a complaint. 

Staff (Retired)
GregorA

Hi tamdhu2,

Firstly it's a pleasure to welcome you to the Sky Forum:smileyhappy:

Can I ask when you joined Sky broadband? Also what broadband package are you on?

Regards.

Occasional Visitor
Xtremely+Unhappy

When I first joined Sky broadband I was enjoying connection speeds of 1.6M - a vast improvement on my last IP. This lasted for twelve months before dropping to 1M. Now I find that it has dropped even further, having been capped by Sky at 0.8M. According to the Sky adverts, they 'will not drop your connection speed no matter how much you download'. I am now looking for a reliable, honest IP.

Staff (Retired)
GRF4784

Hi Extremely+Unhappy,

Thanks for posting on the Forum.

Can I get you to post your router stats from the Master and Test socket so we can see what's going at the moment, If you enter 192.168.0.1 in to an address bar you will then be presented with a box asking for a username(admin) and password(sky) enter these details and click on Show Statistics.

Once you have done this just copy and paste the results in to a Forum post, you can check if you have a Test socket by following the image below:

images (1).jpg

Please come back and let us know.

Many Thanks,

Occasional Visitor
Rootsy

I am getting wond up with Sky now, my broadband speed is less than 500kb/s and they just blame my wiring. I have not had a problem in 6 years so I find it hard to believe it is wiring. I will be looking for a new provider tomorrow.
Occasional Visitor
Xtremely+Unhappy

These are the results after connesting directly to the test socket.

Port     Status     TxPkts     RxPkts     Collisions     Tx B/s     Rx B/s     Up Time
WAN     MER     88     71     0     0     0     0:03:08
LAN           1135     781     0     0     0     0:03:59
WLAN           0     0     0     0     0     0:03:34

ADSL Link            Downstream     Upstream
Connection Speed     768 kbps     415 kbps
Line Attenuation     71.5 db     40.8 db
Noise Margin              5.8 db     15.9 db