Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Senior Member (Diamond)
Oliver341

Sky Broadband Shield now live

[ Edited ]

Perhaps of interest to parents of younger children: Sky Broadband Shield is now live.

To enable, log in, hover your mouse over the "My Sky" toolbar button, and select "Your Broadband Shield" from "Profile & Settings".

Oliver.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Senior Member (Diamond)
Oliver341

Re: Sky Broadband Shield now live

[ Edited ]

It appears to be a DNS server based block system, therefore any device which isn't using Sky's DNS servers will not be subject to the filter. If you have individual devices which shouldn't be blocked, the DNS servers can be altered manually on that device.

Oliver.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
callofduty

Many thanks Oliver.

And just to confirm that you can easily disable later on if you wish? (I heard a story of someone who could not disable it when it was in beta testing)

Senior Member (Diamond)
Oliver341

callofduty wrote:

And just to confirm that you can easily disable later on if you wish? (I heard a story of someone who could not disable it when it was in beta testing)

Yes, there is a "switch off" button at the base of the page.

However they recommend 18+ instead, since that settings allows everything except malware and phishing sites.

Oliver.
Senior Member (Diamond)
Oliver341

[ Edited ]

A tip: this works best if a firewall rule is added to the router's firewall setting to block outbound DNS traffic. This ensures all DNS traffic is sent via the router and therefore the filter.

dns-out.png

Oliver.
Contributor
somebloke

[ Edited ]
As one of the original "complainers" regarding the inability to change DNS settings on the Sky router so as to be able to use OpenDNS, I welcome the introduction of Broadband Shield. Yes, it's not perfect, but having set it to the "age 13" settings, it seems to work pretty well in blocking what could be considered objectionable content by some people.

The addition of the firewall outbound DNS rule (as shown by Oliver341 above) provides a useful mechanism for blocking use of non-Sky DNS by more savvy teenagers!

Thanks Sky for at last providing a useful equivalent blocking service to OpenDNS!
DellyBelly

Well said somebloke.

I am delighted that sky have listened and enabled a dns based filtering solution. I would like more control over it but I can see how this 3 option version will appeal to the masses.

Well done sky. I will not be cancelling my contract afterall. I had in fact logged in today to cancel it only to find that this service is enabled. 

Time to shout about it I think Sky.

Senior Member (Diamond)
Oliver341

DellyBelly wrote:
I would like more control over it but I can see how this 3 option version will appeal to the masses.

You can also create a custom block by adding and removing categories.

Oliver.
Senior Member (Diamond)
Oliver341

somebloke wrote:

The addition of the firewall outbound DNS rule (as shown by Oliver341 above) provides a useful mechanism for blocking use of non-Sky DNS by more savvy teenagers!

I think Sky themselves should advise people to apply the outbound firewall DNS block, since without it children can just change their PC or other devices to use OpenDNS or Google DNS.

Oliver.
Visitor
perksie

Hi Oliver

Great help from you as usual! :smileyhappy:

Oliver341

perksie wrote:

Great help from you as usual! :smileyhappy:

Hi and thanks perksie, welcome to this forum. :smileyhappy:

Oliver.