Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Frequent Visitor
hnisc

Sky Broadband Connect Upload Speed Faster Than Download Speed

I have been using the Connect service since February with a speed at about 800kbps.  However, the past couple of weeks have seen my speed drop to about 300kbps while my upload speed is 400kbps.

I have never seen an upload speed being greater than a download speed!  My router is a D-Link Firmware Version SKY_2.04

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up TimeWANLANWLAN

PPPoA738172340364158600:58:46
 0000000:00:00
 556125423301558683246700:04:24

Downstream Upstream

320 kbps448 kbps
54.5db31.0db
13.4db16.0db

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Community Coordinator
LauraMac

Re: Sky Broadband Connect Upload Speed Faster Than Download Speed

Hi hnisc, 

Thank you for posting up your router stats, are the stats from your test socket

Is the speed slower at any particular times of the day? 

LauraMac
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Frequent Visitor
hnisc

Hi Laura

Yes these are the stats from the test socket.  There is no variation in the speed depending on time of day/night.  It is constantly VERY slow :smileysad:

Contributor
Curr946.

your line needs reprofiled, you will have to fight to get this, and once done you still get rubbish speed at peak time, do as i did... request your MAC and leave sky to do what they are good at, TV... 

Frequent Visitor
hnisc

What does reprofiled mean?  Unfortunately I am still within the 12 month contract.  I still can't believe in this day and age broadband speeds of less than 500k and I'm only 5 miles from a city!

Can Sky not utilize BT's fibre optic lines as BT Infinity is now in the area?  Costly but worth it I'm sure! I still have a good 6 month to run with Sky though :smileysad:

Frequent Visitor
hnisc

I have been told that there is an issue with D-Link routers and Sky Connect?

Contributor
Curr946.

rubbish, ive a d-line one and get 7/8 MBps during the day, but from about 4.30pm onward its drops off as low as 0.50MBps

Frequent Visitor
hnisc

7/8 mbps to 0.5 mbps that is some drop!  Do you acceot this?

Sky are kindly sending me out a new router to test.  I am currently geting 168 kbps !

Sometimes my Sky router stats suggest I have a 2000+ kbps speed and BT actually tested the line and found this too.  However, the maximum speed which I can get in my area is 1MB so this is totally baffling!  This tells me that there is something wrong with BT's line into the area.  Even through the stats sometimes show 1000/2000+ kbps independent online speed tests record it as 100-300kbps which is my true speed.

What does reprofiled mean by the way? 

Contributor
Curr946.

when your line is set up your account / line is set up with a profile, just like on facebook etc but it hold all the information about the quality of the line, the upstream speed and the downstream speed etc. if your set on the wrong one, your speed will be either to low, or to high. If its set to low this means your internet is slow, if its set to high this mean your internet will be quick but drops out all the time. There needs to be a happy medium. 

In my case it was set to low, its since been increased but due to traffic managment its capped again at peak times (ie when im at home)

Im still trying to resolve this with the faults and complaints team, but so far the speed it still mince after 5pm.