Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
PGtipsMonkey
Accepted Solution

Sky Box wont turn on

Hello, i have been on holiday for a week and when i came back my skybox wouldnt switched on, it would just sit on standby, i have tried switching it off at the main  but still nothing happens. is it just me this has happened to and any help would be appreciated 

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
kato

Re: Sky Box wont turn on

PGtipsMonkey wrote:

Hello, i have been on holiday for a week and when i came back my skybox wouldnt switched on, it would just sit on standby, i have tried switching it off at the main  but still nothing happens. is it just me this has happened to and any help would be appreciated 

You could try this.It was posted on the forum elsewhere.It might help.

If you have tried turning the Sky+HD box off then on at the mains power and it is still on a red standby light and not responding after a few minutes then you may need to perform a front panel reset. This will delete all recordings and Anytime content however the alternative is an engineer swapping the box which would have the same outcome.

1. Turn the mains power off. Make sure the power light has gone out.
  2. Press and hold the left and right arrow buttons either side of select on the top of the box.
  3. Turn the mains power on (or get someone else to) and keep the arrow buttons held until the blue circle lights up or 60 seconds have passed. If you don't get the circle to light up try one more time making sure you don't make contact with the tv guide or i buttons.
  4. If you have a blue circle press and release the select button in between the two arrows. It will flash anti-clockwise for up to a minute then settle down to a red light again. Give it 90 seconds once it does then try turning it on.

If the box is still stuck on standby following power cycling it and the front panel reset then it will need to be repaired or replaced.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

If you have been helped by someone please click on the thumbs up icon to give them Likes.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Occasional Visitor
An+Old+Bear

Same problem with a Sky+ Box. Never had the problem before in three years. Tried the software update and this didn't do the trick. Suggestion 2 of forcing a front panel reset worked first time. The Left-Rigt arrow & Set buttons are on the front of the Sky+ Box rather than on the top like the HD version.

Thanks to who ever it was for suggesting this fix, it sure is cheaper than calling out a Sky engineer. At an annual £100+ for breakdown cover the cost of the box makes insurance rediculous. It's about time your Sky subscription included set top box rental like Virgin Media so when it goes wrong they just come out and replace it at no additional cost. 

Occasional Visitor
jenbo

hi i have the same problem it wont turn on my stand by light is dim ive turned it of and on took card out put it in nothing i phoned help line he told me to do wot ive already done im sitting here in silence bored out f my brain kids are bored as well its affected my video and dvd they dont want to work either all he said i have to wait till next week to have sum one out and that i will get charged £60 odd quid  its ok saying that but wot do i do all over the weekend with no tv???????

Super User
caesarome

Have you tried what is posted a few posts back up by kato ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Senior Member (Platinum)
Kenneth+M

jenbo wrote:

.........my stand by light is dim.....

Possible power supply fault on the primary side.  Usually one or more caps have failed.  Maybe the big resistor.  Can be replaced locally ( tv repair shop etc ) if you're in a hurry.

Occasional Visitor
Bernie3104

Brilliant !!!   worked for me and I didn't loose any data (ie. Recordings / Favourites etc).

I am using a Sky+ HD box.

Well impressed and thank you sooo  much.

Occasional Visitor
ngmsky

Hi - i have a sky+ box and tried the 4 point technique above.

It took about ten mins for the anti-clockwise circling to finish, but once it did, the box turned back on.

Thanks for this advice!