Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
TimTollit

Sky Box "no Signal" - Brand New Box (Sept 2013) / Dish installed Jan 2013- please help

Hello,

I am experiencing the "No Signal" message nearly 60% of the time i turn on the sky box (after long screen of Sky + HD). When it does work, after a long period of leaving it, it then often freezes after i watch something on player and try to go back to normal sky watching. It also had a lot of errors on programmes i had "Sky+" ie failing and not recorded.

We tried resetting the previous box (losing all recordings). Updating all the software to no avail. This old box was probably 2.5 years old.

We have now bought a brand new box (approx a week old) - as suggested over the phone by someone at sky. Box is the Sky 500Gb, WPS enabled box (brand new).

During the installation of the box, I also got the no signal warning (should have been a first waring). Also it took around 4 attempts to update the software to the latest software (so as to be able to wifi using the wps button). Is it normal to have to update the software 4 times to get it working?

Now i am experiencing the same issues as i had with the old box. I have tried all i tried before and also tried changing the input feeds around.

all of the wires are fine.  All inserted. there is nothing wrong with the TV.

When it did manage to turn on, i took a photo of the signal strength and signal quality.

I appreciate i cant past in a picture here so:

(measured using a ruler)

Input 1: Signal Strength 70%

Input 1: Signal Quality 20%

Input 2: Signal Strength 70%

Input 2: Signla quality 20%

Please note i do not know what these values were like in January when installed as it was not an issue then.

Could my problems be linked to the Signal Strength being 20%. (if so i then need to work out why i have low signal strengh)

Please note i live in Surrey, so signal quality should be good.

Now these problems have been happening over last few months.

The dish was installed in January by a sky engineer. I have never touched the dish, nor has anyone else.

There is a tree about 15 m away that the dish could be aiming at / over. This tree would obviously have not have had leaves on it in January. Could this be causing the Signal strength issue etc.

Thanks in advance for replies as i want to resolve this as annoying that i am paying for something that currently is not working properly.

Tim

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Senior Member (Gold)
John8372

Re: Sky Box "no Signal" - Brand New Box (Sept 2013) / Dish installed Jan 2013- please hel

You signal quality readings would suggest that there is a problem with the aliment or skew of the dish. Although the tree could be having an affect.

It looks like you are under warranty still. I would give Sky a call or live chat to arrange a call out.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Occasional Visitor
TimTollit

Re: Sky Box "no Signal" - Brand New Box (Sept 2013) / Dish installed Jan 2013- please hel

John8732,

As i had recently purchased a new sky box (~ a week) and had to go to a new contract from that date, that means i am under warranty and can get an engineer around (for no expense) to inspect the dish alignment?

thanks

Tim

Senior Member (Gold)
John8372

The installation in January should be covered by a 1 year warranty, regardless of your new contract. The only way to know for sure is to contact Sky directly.

Community Coordinator
lainys

Re: Sky Box "no Signal" - Brand New Box (Sept 2013) / Dish installed Jan 2013- please help

Hello and Good Morning Tim, 

John8372 has given you the correct advise when he states the box is covered by a warranty for 12 months however, as you have only had the box for one week can I ask if the installer left you a card with his details on it?

If so there should be a telephone number on the card which you can phone him directly and get him to come back and resolve this problem you are having.

If you do not have a card with the installers information please come back and let us know so we can help arrange an engineers visit on your behalf.

Kind Regards

Lainys
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.