Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Frequent Visitor
Truscot

Silverlight Judder

Dear All,

I recently set up my laptop to run SkyGo and was disappointed to see that Sky have chosen to use Microsoft Silverlight for streaming. The internet is full of complaints about the quality of Silverlight, which has proved to be the case on my laptop. The main issues are 'judder' when the camera pans horizontally, making watching football very difficult. A good test is to watch Sky Sports News and observe the scrolling text at the bottom of the screen, which exhibits strong 'ticker flicker' (a kind of stop-start motion). This makes watching golf putting equally problematic.

As discussed, such problems have been inherent in Silverlight since its launch and NOT an issue with broadband speed or laptop processing power (for the record I have average 10mb broadband and dual-core 2GHz processor with 2GB RAM). What is frustrating is that other live streams (even in HD) from other providers work fine on my laptop - butter smooth panning and no judder/flicker.

Is it possible for Sky to hassle Microsoft into resolving the issue or use another provider (or give users a few options)? I have also downloaded Silverlight 5 beta, which was meant to improve things, but have noticed little difference. Whilst SkyGo is a nice free addition to my package, I can't imagine new users who buy SkyGo directly for their laptops will be impressed.

Any help/ work arounds much appreciated,

Thanks,

Truscot

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Community Coordinator
Robert

Re: Silverlight Judder

Hi Truscot, 

There are currently no plans that we are aware of to drop Silverlight on the Sky Go website however we will pass your feedback on regarding this issue.

We've tested this and have been unable to recreate the judder issue that you have described in your post. You may see some benefit in enabling or disabling Silverlight GPU Hardware Accelaration.

I'd recommend using our Silverlight Optimisation Tool on the Sky Go website to see if enabling or disabling certain features helps Silverlight run better on your hardware.

Robert
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Frequent Visitor
Truscot

Robert,

Thanks very much for the reply but, unfortunately, enabling the Silverlight GPU accelerator made no difference (and perhaps a touch worse). I'm very surprised that you do not se the issue at your end. Is the scrolling text on Sky Sport News and Sky News really judder free? If so, can you reveal some more of the laptop specs (hardware & sortware etc) used at Sky. I've now tried Sky Go on a number of different laptops and PC's but to no avail - ticker flicker rains supreme and horizontal panning judder. As I mentioned in my first note, this is a known issue with Silverlight (one needs only look on the internet) and I wonder if Sky could offer any other program to give users a choice?

Once again, I would welcome any more advice on fixes etc. In your reply it sounded as tough there were a few more options to alter Silverlight performance but apart from enabling/disabling the accelerator I saw no more. Have I missed anything?

Thanks,

Truscot

Community Coordinator
Malcolm-M

Hi Truscot, I can see judder on the ticker using my laptop although it is slightly better with hardware acceleration on. I'll test it on a couple of more powerful graphics chipsets to see if that makes a difference.

Malcolm-M
Community Coordinator

Frequent Visitor
Truscot

Hi Malcom,

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. Yes, please let me know how you get on with other graphics chipsets - I will be very interested. However, as discussed, I envisage they will make little difference as I believe the problem to be with Silverlight itself. Live internet streams from elsewhere are smooth and clear with the difference being that Silverlight isn't being used. Is there any chance that Sky could offer a few alternate packages (or bug Microsoft to fix)? As stated in my first note, I have downloaded Silverlight 5 Beta, which has made no difference.

Thanks again and I look forward to hearing from you,

Truscot

Frequent Visitor
Truscot

Hi Malcolm,

Did you manage to check Sky Go performance (i.e. Silverlight) with other graphic chipsets?

Thanks,

Truscot

Community Coordinator
Malcolm-M

[ Edited ]

Sorry for the delayed response Truscot. I did see judder on my Windows 7 desktop when watching the Sky News ticker and it is running a new mid to high end card. I'll test it tonight on a Mac running a chip from a different vendor.

I'll highlight it to the team responsible but I'm not sure whether it's our encoding, the refresh rate being different on monitors, a Silverlight issue or something else.

Malcolm-M
Community Coordinator

Frequent Visitor
Truscot

Malcolm,

Thanks again for reply. Yes, please would you highlight with the responsible team. I would be very interested to hear the response (whether it be the encoding, refresh rate, Silverlight etc.) It would be marvellous if it could be resolved as watching football is proving difficult and the season has just kicked off!

Truscot

Community Coordinator
Malcolm-M

Hi, it's noticeable on the Mac also.  Doesn't seem to be visible on iOS though.

Malcolm-M
Community Coordinator

Frequent Visitor
Truscot

Hi Malcolm,

Yes, I noticed that as well when I watched Sky Sport News on my friends iPhone (the ticker was smooth all the time, which may point at Silverlight again)? Anyway, please will you let me know what response you get from the team and if/when it can be fixed - it really would make a difference for laptop users and something, I'm sure, all would much appreciate.

Truscot

Occasional Visitor
dabba

HI

I have exactly the same problem, it is more noticable during fast action films and sports.

or as stated on the ticker tape.

it appears to be a silverlight problem after googleing around, it appears  to be a common problem with silverlight.

I have no problem with other providers ie i player , ect

I have enabled hardware acceleration with  no improvement and recently i am trying silverlight 5 Beta but not had it installed long enough to comment on that.

lets hope sky go gets to the bottom of the problem

FYI

iam running

windows 7 X64

Asus p8p67 MB

Asus gtx 460 Graphics

intel i5 2500k

around 8mb broardband

Regards

Retired Staff Member
DanielFutz

Hello dabba,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your first post.

As previously stated we have highlighted the issue to the relevant department and will post when we have a solution or response. 

Thanks for your continued patience and hope that you continue to contribute to the forum :smileyhappy:

Occasional Visitor
TH3+M0L3

Interesting reading....

Just to add my "signature to the petition" so to speak. I have the same issues with jittery pictures after downloading and playing on my telly via hdmi from my laptop.

I've seen pirate copies of films that are better quality.... (",)

Occasional Visitor
Macjammer

[ Edited ]

I too experience judder when watching Sky News, which I don't watch very often as a personal choice and if I may I have another issue with Silverlight that I wish to bring to this board.

Now and again for some reason, and I have ruled out anything else as nothing else has this issue, is that for some reason whilst watching Sky Go on my desktop computer all of a sudden and without warning my desktop computer would go into a screen dump and then countdown to a restart.

Until now I have put up with this situation and merely classified it as a Silverlight issue. I have followed the steps given by Windows 7 Professional to remove any 3rd party hardware given during the crash dump screen and this has made no difference.

As stated nothing else causes this issue to arise, only whilst watching TV in Sky Go.

Hardware: Apple Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Quad Core Xeon, 4Gb Ram, ATI/AMD 5770 Display Card with 1GB GDDR5 VRam, Asus D2X Xonar Sound Card (Windows only) 2x Western Digital Green 1TB Hard Drives, 1 with Mac OSX 10.7.1 and the other with Windows 7 Professional SP1, 1x Samsung 250Gb Hard Drive with Windows XP Professional SP3. Samsung SyncMaster P2450 Monitor connected via a DVI lead.

Retired Staff Member
GarryC

Hi Macjammer,

Firstly, I would like to welcome you to our Help Forum.

I have not come across anyone having this issue before.  When you have been uninstalling the silverlight application, have you also been deleting the PlayReady folder before uninstalling again?  As if this folder is not removed, the silverlight application has not been completely uninstalled.

Many Thanks,