Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
ALostProphet
Accepted Solution

Service Connection Fail - On Demand

[ Edited ]

Hi 

I am a Sky Broadband Unlimited customer & when I went to use On Demand today I was unable to use the service, when going going into the network settings menu I noticed that service connection said failed however, local connection says OK, I've tried rebooting the wireless adapter which is sky branded & also my sky sagem router. I've also checked that broadband was switched on within the box setting, which I reset just incase

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Super User
speedyrite

Sky On demand is currently down - keep n eye on the Sky S...

ALostProphet wrote:

Hi 

I am a Sky Broadband Unlimited customer & when I went to use On Demand today I was unable to use the service, when going going into the network settings menu I noticed that service connection said failed however, local connection says OK, I've tried rebooting the wireless adapter which is sky branded & also my sky sagem router. I've also checked that broadband was switched on within the box setting, which I reset just incase

Sky On demand is currently down - keep n eye on the Sky Service Status page for more information:

http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/servicestatus/

"All opinions are my own, other advice may be available and may differ from mine.
I do not work for Sky, I'm just a customer like you!
If my advice has helped you, say thanks by clicking on thumbs up"
Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Visitor
wakeyjock

On Demand does not work correctly with the default setup...

On Demand does not work correctly with the default setup on some routers (Netgear routers have this issue more than most), fortunately the solution is simple.

1. Go into your routers setup (point your browser at 192.168.0.1 or the IP address listed in your routers manual).
  2. Go to the ADSL Settings Section.
  3. Change Multiplexing Method to "LLC-BASED"
  4. Hit apply.

Your On Demand connection should now work OK. You should not need to restart the router.

Occasional Visitor
handofdog

Hi.  I had a similar issue which was due to my box not be...

Hi.  I had a similar issue which was due to my box not being enabled for broadband.

To rectify this:

• Press services on your Sky remote control.
  • Press select to highlight the Options tab.
  • Use the left/right arrows to highlight Customise and press select.
  • Use the down arrow to highlight Broadband Network Connection.
  • Use the left/right arrows to toggle the setting to ON.
  • Press the green button to save your settings.

(Taken from http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/tv/on-demand/messages-and-warnings/router-health-check-wireless-connec...

Occasional Visitor
chad412321

try unpluging your ethernet cable then do a full rebuild,...

try unpluging your ethernet cable then do a full rebuild,remember this will delete all your recordings,let the rebuild do what it needs to do,when the box turns back on put ethernet cable back in,turn the box on to stand by then back on again,it should all work just fine,hope this help alot of people having the same trouble

Occasional Visitor
gungi

Hi just spent 3 hrs scrolling through the forum pages for...

Hi just spent 3 hrs scrolling through the forum pages for the same problem "On Demand service connection FAIL" . My sky is connected through a wired set up and I tried every solution I could find on the forum to no avail, contacted sky spoke to a lad, nice and courteous but could not resolve the situation, he spoke to the broadband dept but they could not resolve it, gavin then spoke to "on Demand" tech help and passed me through to them and they could not sort it out told them I would try and re-install disc that came with router as "local connection OK" indicates that it has found the router" But "Service connection Fail" means it cant connect to the internet and would therefore mean a bad gateway or setting mucked up in router I was just about to reinstall when I thought no one has reset the router by inserting something in that little hole marked reset in the back of the router "Hey Presto" it worked! Try this it might work for you!

Occasional Visitor
Sky+limper

The answer provided by gungi on 20 12 2012 worked for me...

The answer provided by gungi on 20 12 2012 worked for me also.

I had to use a bent paperclip (a pin didn't seem to work) to get the reset hole on the Sky wireless box (not the HD+ box) to activate but once I had done that, the tv (eventually) came up with service connection OK (after having been FAIL since purchase).  Then everything worked fine.

Thank you gungi for sharing your solution with other users.

Frequent Visitor
radar+girl

Thank you so much. my 'on demand' had been working but th...

[ Edited ]

Thank you so much. my 'on demand' had been working but then suddenly failed. nothing I did would get it to work, until I used a paperclip to reset my 'Netgear' router. ta da, it was like magic. 'on demand' started working again. So before you try testing your ethernet cable. resetting on your 'settings' or even doing a 'rebuild' as someone suggested, just try the reset on your router. Let it settle down and then try your 'on demand'.

Brilliant.

Occasional Visitor
Russell+Court

Re: Hi.  I had a similar issue which was due to my box not be...

Well done to handofdog. Solved my problem just as you said it would.
One question though. How come Sky don't include those instructions in the box?
Thanks for your help!
Occasional Visitor
laujen

Re: Hi just spent 3 hrs scrolling through the forum pages for...

Hi do you have to reset the router or the small black box that you plug into the Sky box?

Staff (Retired)
GRF4784

Re: Hi just spent 3 hrs scrolling through the forum pages for...

Hi laujen,

Thanks for posting.

You can reset both of these devices and this should help with the issue you're having at the moment.

Thanks,

Occasional Visitor
blokedownthepub

Re: Hi. I had a similar issue which was due to my box not be...

Handofdogs's solution worked for me.  I had to also power-off the Sky box and the wireless adapter afterwards to make the change.

Occasional Visitor
PeteWokingham

Re: Service Connection Fail - On Demand

ALostProphet wrote:

Hi 

Hi

I had similar issues with the OnDemand Service using a TPLink WA701ND set up as a client and then latterly the Sky Branded Wireless Connector. I tried everything suggested, but having set up a good connection, I found it failed after approx 1 hour with the "service connection fail" condition.

I'm using a Sky Branded Router (Sagemcom) with the wireless disabled, since I needed a more powerful access point range to cover my house and garden. So for the wireless side, I'm using a Zyxel WAP3205 set up with WPA2-PSK Security. I noticed that Zyxel have a setting Group Key Update Timer set to default 3600 seconds (60 minutes) - this effectively sends out new security key codes to all equipment on the network. I found setting this to 0 (no updates) has solved the problem. Basically, I think that intelligent stuff like PC, Tablet, Phones....etc can handle these updates from the Zyxel, but maybe the Sky Boxes don't have too sophisticated network capabilities and Sky therefore only recommend connection to their own Router. The downside is that my network may be less secure, but still more than good enough.

Anway, it worked for me and hope you find this useful. I can now use the Catch Up service without bother, rather than spending hours resetting Sky Hardware !

By the way, I cannot get the Sky+ Iphone app to find my Sky Box ( like many other people on other forums ! ).

Reards, Pete H.

Occasional Visitor
FriendtotheScots

Re: Service Connection Fail - On Demand

Well I've have done everything on the messge boards concerning Service connectiion - failed but with no success, the supplied ethernet cable didn't work (would not make a secure connection), there is no way on a BT Home hub to changed the Multiplicity or what ever it was called or to press the little Reset button as there is no movement in it. The service works if I connect direct but not if I choose to use the supplied wireless box which is what I really want to use. I have no idea what to do next - any ideas would be welcomed or else it is £22 up the pokey and I will have to revert to a direct connection with yet more wires under the carpet.

Occasional Visitor
robbored

Re: On Demand does not work correctly with the default setup...

changing my ADSL settings on my netgear router worked instantly without having to reset or reboot anything!