Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Visitor
miss+chan

Re: Separated

my ex-boyfriend opened this account so it's in his name.  I've been paying his account the money for this SKY service since he left me in 2009.  for the past year or so i've set up the direct debit from my own account as i think his account is completely overdrawn so there was no point me sending him the payment anymore.  i have called SKY many times explaining the situation as my ex-boyfriend is no longer living in this country and I have not heard from him. I've tried to email him (as advised by one of your customer services person) to ask him to cancel the account but he has not been replying to any of my emails.

i know the whole data protection stuff that you guys are supposedly bound to with the account holder but if that person is no longer in the country and they are not even paying the bill and hasnt done so since 2009 then surely there's another way to either change the name of the account or to cancel it? the only other way i can think of is for me to stop paying the direct debit but that is not what i want to do.  please advice me on what to do and just to recap, he is not in the country, i can't get in touch with him so it's not possible for him to ring. thank you.

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Staff (Retired)
GRF4784

Re: Separated

Hi miss+chan,

Thanks for bringing your query to the Forum.

I'm going to send you a PM to have this looked in to, can you reply with the details required when you have a moment free.

Many Thanks,

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
cristalmef

Re: Separated and need to change sky account into my name

My partner has died,they died on the 19th January,and although i have all the relevant documents i need sky to know that the direct debit account has now been shut down,i would like to dicuss with sky these changes.

Community Coordinator
chelsea12

Hi cristalmef

I am really sorry to hear of your sad loss, thank you for taking the time to contact us on the Forum.

In your circumstances there are  a number of option open to you, Can you confirm if you are looking to get the account changed into your own details and make the payment from your own bank.

Have you contacted us direct or is  this your 1st contact?

Hope to hear from you soon. 

Jane
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Occasional Visitor
LucyxBurns

I have sent a letter to Sky signed by myself and the account holder confirming we are both happy for the account name to be changed but apparently this still isn't good enough.

Is the only option to cancel and restart a new contract?  If so will this incur charges etc?  My main reason for trying to change the name is so I can downgrade my account but if I have to cancel I was as well move providers?

Please advise

Occasional Visitor
priya-h

I'm moving abroad and want to transfer the contract into my housemate's name. Just got off the phone to Sky and he helpfully told me that changing the name is easy to do and just requires a simple form online, followed by a few verification phone calls by them. This is primarily because we are no longer on a contract, and pay on a monthly basis, so I can cancel with just a month's notice.

However, having scoured the location he specified, I cannot find said form.

We just want everything to stay the same - same phone number, same package, same price, but just in a different name - surely the best thing for everyone is to actually be able to contact the resident living there whilst I'm off gallivanting for a year with little contact available, and the resident to be able to control the account in my absence?

Any ideas?

Staff (Retired)
StacieB

Hi LucyxBurns,

Thanks for your post.

Unfortunately we cannot change the name on a Sky account.

If your ex-partner no longer wishes to hold the account they would need to contact Sky and terminate the account and you would need to take a new contract in your own name. 

As long as your ex-partners account is out of it's 12 month contract term, then there will be no charge for cancelling the account. 

Thanks.

Staff (Retired)
StacieB

Hi priya-h,

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community.

First of all I must apologise for the information that has been given to you, as it is in fact incorrect.

The only options you have would be to set a password on your account and let your housemate know what the password is. This means you're house made can upgrade/discuss the account, but will not be able to cancel or downgrade the package at any time.

If this is to inconvenient the only option would be to terminate the account and for your housemate to take out a new contact in their name. This would only be possible once your account is out with its 12 month contract period.

Thanks.

Occasional Visitor
Nayrc

Renting house but want to keep Sky for tenants

I am renting out my house and have Sky Broadband etc there which the tenants wish to keep. How do I swap account/payment info over easily so I can do the same when I move back in?

Many Thanks

Staff (Retired)
kirsty+d

Re: Renting house but want to keep Sky for tenants

Hi Nayrc,

Welcome to the Help Forum and thank you for bringing your enquiry to us.

The only way you could ensure your tenants have their own bills and account would be to cancel the services in your name and have them set up their own order, this would mean when you move back in the reverse would be necessary.

If you want to have a seamless transition it may be a better option to come to an agreement with them in relation to paying for the services, however the account would remain in your name and ultimately the responsibility would be yours.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Regards,

Occasional Visitor
steph21

I've been told by sky today that i can change the name from my ex husband into mine by filling out a complaint form and emailing it to sky. by reading the previous posts and i to take it that the information i received is incorrect?

thanks

Community Coordinator
chelsea12

[ Edited ]

Hi steph21

Great to catch your 1st post on the Sky Forum

I am not aware that this can be done we would gernerally ask you to get the account holder to cancel their account and you can then set up a second hand contract under your name.

Can you let us know if you have changed the details already?

Thanks   

Jane
Community Coordinator

Occasional Visitor
Nicola+Copithorne

Staff (Retired)
batweb79

Hi Nicola+Copithorne,

Welcome to our community.

Is there anything we can help you with? 

Thanks,

Barry
Community Coordinator

Visitor
M+RAZA

[ Edited ]

Dear Sir/Madam

MY Name

MOHAMMAD RAZA

Account number: Removed 

I want to divert your attention that i want to change my billing initials name,

due to security reason can you write my name

M Raza insted of Muhammad Raza. This is all due to security reason.

I am very thankfull to you for this act of kindness.

Removed