Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference. Learn more about this message
Retired Staff Member
fishermin

Re: Separated and need to change sky account into my name

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Retired Staff Member
GRF4784

Hi Curlylox,

Thank you for posting on the Help Forum.

You can speak about your account if there is a password set up on it, this will allow you to deal with any queries you may have.

Many Thanks,

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Retired Staff Member
fishermin

Retired Staff Member
fishermin

Re: Separated / Change of Name

Retired Staff Member
StacieB

Hi regmh,

I understand where your coming from with regards to being able to make changes to your Sky account.

What I have done is requested these terms and conditions, which will clarify your rights as a customer with Sky. Please bear with me while I wait on this information being received.

As soon as I get this information I will post back to you.

Thanks for your patience.

Staff
Robert

[ Edited ]

Hi regmh, 

We've found the following regarding Changing the Name on a Contract.

12. Right to transfer the Contract and Third Parties

(a) We can transfer our rights or obligations under this Contract to any company, firm or person provided this does not affect your rights under this Contract in a negative way.

(b) This Contract is personal to you. You may not transfer your rights or obligations under this Contract to anyone else, and no third party is entitled to benefit under this Contract except pursuant to Condition 12(a).

You can view the full terms and conditions for Sky online at http://www.sky.com/shop/terms-conditions/tv/

Regarding cancellation, I notice that the terms and conditions state you can only cancel by phone which is not correct, you can do this by Phone, E-Mail, Fax and by Writing in, full contact details and options available can be found at the bottom of the Terms and Conditions page linked above.

I hope this helps.

Retired Staff Member
fishermin

Re: Seperated

I'm New Here
regmh

Robert, Thanks for your useful  input. Unfortunately this is actually all about Sky getting a new contract for twelve months and not at all about Data Protection.

Data Protection does indeed prevent someone who is not the the current account holder, and not known to sky, from changing the name from the account holder. However Sky does know couples have an account in one partners name and have a record of the other partner (for data protection purposes) for the purposes of managing the account. They would probably need confirmation from the account holder that they wished to change the name on the account. They might even ask for a credit reference on the new holder, which would be reasonable.

However Sky refuses to do this even when asked by both the new and the old account holder. There is nothing in law that prevents Sky from making this change, it is just their policy, and it would be good if they briefed their staff accordingly instead of trying to hide behind 'the law' and the Data Protection Act.

They also refer to their terms and conditions, but could not even direct me to the clause(s) in the terms and conditions that prevented them from doing this. They could only quote their local work instructions.

Maybe it would be useful if you could advise us all of which terms and conditions do state that you can not transfer the account into the name of a joint account holder, and indeed the clause that states that you can only cancel your account over the telepohone. 

All would be most useful.

Thanks

No disrespect to you, you are just repeating what you have been advised. Sadly it is wrong.

I'm New Here
Curlylox

Can't disagree with any of this..my son bought the sky package for us 20 years back as an Xmas pressie..I pay all the bills ..can do anything on line..but when it comes to speaking to someone about the account woohoo...I have to pretend to be him by speaking in a very deep voice with a hankie over the phone or just wait till my husband is around. My son has called them numerous times to ask them to put on the account it's ok to speak to me...it's a complete joke..I go through the same thing every time. Get your act together Sky
I'm New Here
RhD

what a pile of rubbish.. i agree totally that this process should be simpler! I am the primary account holder but have to cancel and set up a new one for my ex to have it in her name??!!??!! nothing less than ridiculous! Just highlight the name, press delete, and type a new name... can I be a sky expert?

I'm New Here
richard+hay

[ Edited ]

Please change account name from Margaret (removed) to Richard (removed), with regards to separation.

Many thanks

Staff
Anne-M

Hi richard+hay,

Unfortunately we will be unable to assist you on the Forum as we cannot access your account, if you contact us here, our departments can assist you further.

Thanks, 

Anne
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Getting There
Fourqtwo

If you cant change the account holder WHY does Sky have this page? Not that it works!!!!!!!!!!!

Print Changing the account holder
  • Sky iD sign in pageIf you want to change the Primary Sky iD go to Manage Profile, sign in with the Sky ID that you want to upgrade and follow the steps. You will need to have the Primary Sky iD username and information about your Sky account to complete the change. 

Protégé
Shakey81

Robert wrote:

Hi db9429, 

We're not aware of issues with ParcelForce not allowing you to sign for delivery of an item addressed to your address. You should be able to sign for this and accept delivery of the item as ParcelForce only require a signature from a resident at the address as proof of delivery.

Can you tell us what ParcelForce have said and have you recontacted them to discuss this?

i had a wireless connector delivered to me a few months ago i am the account holder but a family member signed for it on my behalf and of they went if they will not allow you to sign for it contact parcel because as soon as leaves sky it is not there responsibilty it is the responsinility of the courrier weather it is parcelforce citylink or any other

use this link to contact them http://www.parcelforce.com/contact-us

I'm New Here
angel749

Firstly sorry about your separation but what a lot of hassle you are going to have I had the same problem and wanted it all changed in sep I'm still having bother now and feel like switching off the lot!!!! Sorry but its true you will have to shut down your old account loss the phone number you have probably had for years! And wait 30 days for any action to be taken it is a complete nightmare and I only hope you don't get the same grief I'm having. Good luck