Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
corinda73

Separated and need to change sky account into my name

I have recently separated and need to change my account into my name. Have had two different responses from sky. One saying to set up a new account now and the other says i can't until husband cancels and then i have to wait 30 days. What about boxes I already have? Any clues?

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Senior Member (Platinum)
PaulEK

Re: Separated and need to change sky account into my name

The account will have to be closed and then a new account started, as far as I know you cannot have 2 accounts at the same address so yes you would in theory not be able to open the account until the old account was closed completely.

Have you spoken to cancellations as they may know better but if it is a closure then the account holder is the only one the can close the account.

You could try to email them using

http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/contact-us

Click on Account and billing

Click on change Change my Account details

Click on email us (at bottom)

Used to work for Sky and BT ADSL tech support but please don't hate me for it :smileywink:
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Occasional Visitor
michaeljroberts

Hi.

My mum passsed away in December and our Sky+ account was in her name. I just had an online chat session with a Sky Advisor and he helped me change the account details. He said I'd get a confirmation letter in the next 3-5 business days. I clicked on Contact Us, Account & Billing, Change My Account Details and then Live Chat at the bottom.

Michael.

Occasional Visitor
Hristo+Drandev

Re: i hristo drandev is responsible for the bills please take mary anishe off the account name.

i hristo drandev is responsible for the bill, i and my wife mary anishe both agree on the change, please take mary anishe off the account name.thanks

Community Coordinator
Robert

Re: i hristo drandev is responsible for the bills please take mary anishe off the account name.

Hi Hristo, 

We cannot change account details from a post on the forum. Please use the Contact Us page to raise this to our Customer Help team who can assist further. 

Personal details cannot be posted on the forum for security reasons

Robert
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Mark+Jo

Seperated

Sky, is unhelpful in what is a simple name change exercise. All I want to do is change the account holder name. All the billing is from my account and my partner left 5 years ago

Occasional Visitor
bugle

Re: Seperated

I couldn't agree more. My account is in the name of Miss N Dunne. We broke up nearly five years ago. The bill has always been paid from MY bank (Mr B Murphy) and continues to be. Every time they ring up asking for Miss N Dunne, I have to explain that she no longer lives at this address so then they ask for a password. So, if I am paying the bill, I am upgrading my package, everything is sent to MY email address, I am sorting EVERYTHING to do with the account, WHY ON GOD'S EARTH CAN YOU NOT SIMPLY TRANSFER THE ACCOUNT TO MY NAME, considering I'm already logged on the account as a "secondary" account holder, which, in effect, means absolutely nothing!! Posting on here, also, will be a complete waste of my time and I'll get some bland run-of-the-mill response from some nameless faceless "expert" who won't be able to solve my problem, yet will look for kudos to boost his profile in the "help" centre. It's not exactly rocket science here guys - if we know the password and we pay the bill, we must be allowed to change the name on the account.

Community Coordinator
Robert

Hi Guys, 

I'm afraid changing the name on an account is that simple. We cannot simply change the name of an account. What needs to happen is a second-hand contract is set up with a new viewing card and existing equipment under the new name and a new account on the system, the old account would need to be closed.

For data protection reasons, only the named account holder can cancel or close the account.

We cannot assist with this over the forum due to the nature of the process and request as it requires personal details in order to access the acocunt and carry out the necessary changes. Personal details cannot be posted on the forum as information posted here is public.

Robert
Community Coordinator

Mark+Jo

You can't help over the phone either. The original account holder is long gone so how are they going to cancel or close it? they can't however as its in their name I think it would be possible to cancel the direct debit from my account and then run up the biggest phone bill and box office events possible. Not in my name so wouldn't be my responsibility, this is what makes this situation riddiculous, who would you chase for payment as I have no legal contract with you

Occasional Visitor
wendy+rothwell

[ Edited ]

Hi

The account is in beverley carey name,

she has left me and i need to change the account into my name wendy rothwell.

But i do need to know the payments how i can pay this to you it will have to be a monthly payment and i need to pay this with a payment card.

Thank you for your help and hope to here from you very soon.

Wendy Rothwell

Community Coordinator
Robert

Hi Wendy, 

You would need to set up a second-hand contract in your name as we cannot change the name of an existing contact. Please use the Contact Us page to discuss this with our Customer Help team.

We cannot assist with account specific issues on the forum as personal details should not be posted and we cannot access accounts through the forum. Please remove the personal details from your post as information posted is public and can be viewed by anyone.

Robert
Community Coordinator

Occasional Visitor
DAVY+ALLAN+RUSSELL

SKY GET YOURE FINGER OUT. IT IS INSANE NOT TO ALLOW A HOUSEHOLDER RECIEVING A SERVICE FROM YOU NOT TO CHANGE THE ACCOUNT TO THEYRE OWN NAME, ESPECIALLY WHEN THAT PERSON IS LONG GONE.HOW DOES SOMEONE CANCELL WHEN THEY ARE DEAD FOR INSTANCE OR DO YOU JUST KEEP BILLING.AND WHAT DATA ARE YOU PROTECTING EXACTLY. THE CUSTOMER IS HAPPY TO TAKE OWNERSHIP OF THE SERVICE THEY PAY FOR AND RECIEVE AND YOU DONT NEED TO DISCLOSE ANY DETAIL OF ACCOUNT HOLDER TO ACTION THAT. YOURE POLICY AND ACTIONS ONLY ADD TO CUSTOMER FRUSTRATIONS AND YOU NEED TO SORT IT OUT.WHAT HAPPENED TO CUSTOMER IS RIGHT, SAD STATE OF AFFAIRS

DAVY RUSSELL

Occasional Visitor
db9429

I've got the same issue. It gets worse too as I've ordered the Anytime+ wireless adaptor which is £60. Despite ME ordering it, it's been sent out via parcel force in my ex girlfriends name, who won't let me sign for it.

I can't cancel my account as they won't accept the cancellation request from me (although they quite happily accept my monthly payments), and if I stop the direct debit I won't be allowed to take out another Sky subscription...so the only solution is to stop the DDs and then move house!!!

As soon as Virgin have cable in my area, I'm moving to them immediately!

Community Coordinator
Robert

Hi Guys, 

I appreciate how frustrating this issue is for you. The fact is that the account and contract are under the account holders name, the name on an account can only be changed in specific circumstances and an account cannot just be passed over to another person.

Furthermore accounts can only be closed by the named account holder unless the account holder has passed away or you have power of attourney to deal with the account on behalf of the account holder.

To discuss this further please use the options on the Contact Us page.

Robert
Community Coordinator

Occasional Visitor
db9429

Well like I said Robert I'm going to at some point have to cancel the DD with the bank. Your contract is as you say with my ex girlfriend, so as far as discussing payment/cancellation, thats your problem, not mine. I don't have any way of contacting her.

How should I proceed with the wireless Anytime+ adaptor that I ordered, seeing as it was sent in my ex girlfriend's name?