Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
steveheath
Accepted Solution

SKY HD Box just wont reset properly

OK SKY HD box been freezing, missing recordings "power failure" and then just hangs when playing back

I have done the system reset in the engineers menu and also the Backup.  

Firstly system reset does not format the drive as backup brings it all back again which seems odd.  I have also tried the full factory restore via the left right buttons but again it doesnt solved anything.

Is there anything left I can do , Box is Samsung and is about 22 months old so under EU consumer law should be within the 2 years that all consumables should now have.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
Mark39

Re: SKY HD Box just wont reset properly

Try a hardware reset, rather than using the engineer's menu:

1. Switch off the box off at the mains.

2. Press and hold the left and right arrow buttons on the top of box, and while holding them, switch the box back on. 

3. Continue to hold the buttons until the full blue/green circle lights in the centre of the box.

4. Let go the buttons then press select.

5. The blue/green circle light should cycle anti-clockwise.

6. Wait until the lights go off, and the box reboots to standby.  

7. Wait 4 minutes before switching the box back on from standby

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Senior Member (Diamond)
Skytime

it woulnt be covered as when you set up with sky your contract states that you will be covered for the first 12 months and after that you would be out of warrently and should an engineers visit be required you would have to pay a fee of 65£ after which you get a 3 months warrenty on the box to ensure issues wont persist ! so that gets rids of that EU consumer law part im afraid! - since you've done all the basic troubleshooting andthe full system reset the next step would be a servcie call so i'd give sky a ring and at least you'll get it sorted then for yourself !
Occasional Visitor
Kev+Greg

We have the exact same problem, and looking through this forum, and the wider internet, it seems far too common.

We are pulling our hair out with frustration, please provide a suitable resolution Sky, it cannot be acceptable that so many people are experiencing the same issue.

Hard reset has made no difference, what else might you suggest?

Super User
Mark39

You mean a full system reset? If that hasn't helped, you could try a software refresh:

1. Switch off at the mains
2. Press and hold the bacup button on the top of the Sky box, while switching back on
3. Wait until all 4. Leds are lit, then release the bakup button
4. Follow the on screen instructions

Occasional Visitor
Cliveruby

Thanks Marc39 worked a treat
Occasional Visitor
corbs83

How long are you meant to hold tgd buttons on these processes as i never get the led sequences that are mentioned
Senior Member (Platinum)
Kenneth+M

corbs83 wrote:
How long are you meant to hold tgd buttons on these processes as i never get the led sequences that are mentioned

Not long.  No more than several seconds.

Super User
Mark39

Sky recommends 30 seconds, but as Kenneth says, if it's going to respond it will do so long before that.

Occasional Visitor
AledJones

I cannot perform the hardware reset, does it matter if it's got the old or new update? The centre of the box isn't lighting up :smileysad:
Retired Staff Member
GarryC

Hi AledJones,

Welcome to our forum!

Can you let us know what is wrong with your box to see if there are any alternative troubleshooting steps we can take to resolve this?

Thanks,

Regular Visitor
zilliman

I have been having same problem recently. The sky box stutters on playback, ie freezes. You can recover by backing out of the playback or by advancing by pressing the FF, but do it a few times and the sky box crashes. Nothing can bring it back but a power off on from the mains. Great design by the way not having a power on off switch. Anyway I have tried the full disk wipe from the secret menu, it wiped clean the disk, but the problem came back a couple of days later. I then tried the software reset, where you hold down the backup button while powering on, and this said "software update" so after that the disk was not deleted, so I replayed a program which I know has an issue and it crashed again. If this is happening to a lot of people then I suppose SKY should fix it.

Retired Staff Member
GregorA

Hi zilliman,

Welcome to the Community.

Sorry to hear you are still having issues with the box and also that you had to go through specific troubleshooting steps that resulted in you losing your saved recordings.

Have you tried a planner rebuild again since the issues began?

The next step would be an engineer visit, however if you are outwith your 12 month warranty for your equipment, then there will be a charge of £65.00.

Regards,

Regular Visitor
zilliman

[ Edited ]

Hi

The Sky + HD box crashes 4-5 times a day, randomly. Only a hard reset can bring it back.

I suspect a broken disk. Is there a way for the box to re-format or somehow check the hard disk? I have done a few box resets but I think all this does is to wipe the disk without actually checking it for errors. For many years now, IDE disk drives can hide hard sector errors by virtual mapping but I am not sure how this technology works and whether the Sky + HD box makes use of it.

Any ideas? Else I will simply buy another box on ebay.

Thanks

Edit: Box crashed again. I was about to pull the plug out (as nothing else seems to work) and thought of removing the card beforehand. First time I am removing the card. As soon as I pulled the card out the box came back to life from a black screen to "please insert your card". Can it be the card that is at fault here?

Occasional Visitor
b3njamin0

I have exact same problems with my box. I've just moved house and had a sky engineer visit to install everything again. I thought I'd mention the problems I'm having with the box since an update sky did a couple of months ago. Sky engineer told me its a software issue, it happens all the time and sky are frequently sending out updates through the dish, but the box freezing on recordings is a known issue to engineers as software problems that sky have released. Not right to charge £65 for engineers to look to fix an issue updates have caused.