Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
Hi+Fibre

Replacing Sky router with AirPort Extreme + extra router after Fibre upgrade

Quite annoyingly, I've just noticed after the engineer left that the Sky Fibre Unlimited upgrade has left me with another router (the BT one) as well as a Sky one, which leaves me with one unplugged fridge.

I use an AirPort Extreme (or specifically Time Capsule) at home, and don't really feel the need to have this extra device, nor to let all my food go off. Is there a way (and I doubt Sky themselves are going to be much help with this) of switching out the Sky router and just putting in PPoE settings or similar on the AirPort config.? Surely it must be straightforward if you can get your username/password from the Sky router (and I'm sure I can).

Anyone done this, and/or can anyone from Sky comment?

The BT engineer also questioned the speeds Sky are giving, which I found surprising. He let me know that having 40Mb down and 2Mb up was strange, given that BT Infinity offer 40Mb down and 10Mb up (much better for online backups) and with a single phone call will always upgrade you to 80Mb down, 20Mb up. That's ten times the Sky uplink, all using the same kit...

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Senior Member (Bronze)
flamey

Re: Replacing Sky router with AirPort Extreme + extra router after Fibre upgrade

hi,

You will always need the BTO modem even if switching the router out so will need two plugpoints regardless, unless you have a router with a built in VDSL2 modem of which there is limited choice. 

Secondly, you can use the time capsule as a wifi access point but not as a router, it will not support sky's MER authentication method of which only one router currently supports with updated firmware namely the billion 7800n.

Sky do offer the option of 80/20 speeds, although this comes at a slightly higher pricepoint. Whether its worth it or not depends on the usage and also the quality/length of the copper to your cab.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Occasional Visitor
Hi+Fibre

Re: Replacing Sky router with AirPort Extreme + extra router after Fibre upgrade

Thanks - to clarify, I need the Time Capsule plugged in whatever for my backups, so it would save a power point if I could not have Sky's router plugged in. If the Time Capsule could do the authentication it would save a lot of bother, but as it is I'll have to buy yet another splitter. I expect the street lights will be beginning to dim outside my house soon.

It's not so much that I want the 80/20, but I see for another £10p/m or £30p/m in total Sky will match BT Infinity's free speedbump for their customers, but on the regular Sky Fibre (I hesitate to call it entry level, because nothing about it, including the price, is) they only give you 40/2 rather than BT's 40/10. That seems a little unfair to me. By all means have 80/20 at a premium (though why they charge a premium and BT Infinity are offering that speed bump for free eludes me) but don't cut the regular speed down from a nippy 10Mb/ps to 2Mbp/s for no apparent reason.

The BT Infinity guy who did my install was saying he couldn't understand why Sky took so long to get a fibre agreement with BT, but perhaps it was hard for them to get a deal and they had to agree to this slightly out of order and high pricing structure.

Senior Member (Bronze)
flamey

[ Edited ]

Oki, yeah thats not possible unfortuantely - Sky uses a non standard MER authentication method (modified MER) which is only supported by the sky routers and the one I listed above. Therefore you would need both plugged in.

Its tough to make a direct comparison with the packages as there is no direct comparison offering the same. For instance, Infinity option 1 is 40/10 for £18 but has a 40GB cap. Option 2 is 80/20 however traffic shapes. Sky does not traffic shape either packages.

Having infinity myself, I would happily pay an extra £4 a month to do away with shaping once my contract is up, for instance what they don't specify is uploading using certain protocols on BT is limited to 1mb/s 24/7 - rather than just peak. All depends on your usage though! :smileyhappy:

Occasional Visitor
faser

i'm due to have sky fibre installed tuesday and have beene xpecting to replace the sky router with a decent gigabit simultaneous dual band wifi device such as the apple airport extreme base station (aebs) too.
i've seen the following posts that indicate that the apple airport extreme base station is capable of doing this.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-broadband-fibre-help/50848-airport-extreme-base-station-sky-fibre...
http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/content/197-airport-extreme-base-station-sky-fibre-guide.html

in short, connect your mac/pc to the aebs configure using the airport utility, enter your sky user-name and password into as the "DHCP Client ID", finish otehr lan setup tasks and click update.
see the 2 links above for detailed instructions.

Happy surfing!!:smileyhappy: