Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Regular Visitor
borris
Accepted Solution

Reduced speed since BT line fault

[ Edited ]

Hi

I've had Sky BB Unlimited for over two years now and connected at 12mb. In November, however, we had a fault on our line. I first noticed this as the BB kept dropping out and the phone line eventually went completely dead (including the BB).

BT repaired the line but since then the BB only now connects at 9mb. I know this is hardly slow but I'm wondering what is causing this lower connection speed since it worked fine for two years at 12mb.

Current stats are:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed Line Attenuation Noise Margin
9215 kbps884 kbps
36.0 db18.0 db
8.7 db8.5 db

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Senior Member (Platinum)
PaulEK

Re: Reduced speed since BT line fault

Call sky tech support, tell them BT has fixed a fault on your line and you need the line reset as it is slightly capped.

Used to work for Sky and BT ADSL tech support but please don't hate me for it :smileywink:
Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Regular Visitor
borris

Hi - thanks for the advice.

I did contact Sky about this five days ago. The person said he will put it through the training period and to make sure I leave the router powered on. The trouble is not much has changed.

System Up Time: 122:37:32

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time WAN LAN WLAN
PPPoA564437820500039:32:10
 795685520061000122:37:32
 4014319720000122:37:03
9215 kbps862 kbps
35.5 db18.0 db
7.9 db8.0 db

My router is staying connected for days at a time and my understanding is that the DLM resets it so that it can try different speeds. I may be wrong though? Has the DLM training test been initiated? My line has been steady and I've had no noticeable drop-outs?

Thank you.

Community Coordinator
Robert

Hi borris, you should be able to tell if your line is being tested by the Dynamic Line Management (DLM) system by logging in to the My Sky website and and selecting My Broadband. The site will indicate if your line is being tested. As you have mentioned that the line has settled down it is likely that DLM has finished it's testing and set a profile on your line.

Robert
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Regular Visitor
borris

Thanks. Website says:

"Your Connection Details

Testing on your broadband connection began on 03/01/2011 and will be complete within 10 days.

You may notice some variations in your broadband speed and this is normal. We are aiming to give you the best quality experience. Please leave your router on during this time.03/01/2011

Check back here to confirm the maximum speeds supported by your connection."

So it's still being tested but nothing is changing. Router currently says connected for nearly 67 hours. And still the same speed.

If it stays at 9mb then so be it. Just odd that it was fine for two years at 12mb.

Thanks again.

Regular Visitor
borris

[ Edited ]

Can anyone from Sky help me with this please.

I called the call centre on Saturday. I got through to the India (?) call centre. I explained the situation that nothing has changed, my router has stayed constantly connected and there have no drop-outs or re-syncs. So it appears something is stuck with the DLM training.

The rep then asked me to reset the router (to which I queried why as I was told to not reboot or power off for 10 days) and then asked me to go through the "test at master socket" script routine. Sigh... I then politely requested to be put through to the UK call centre.

Once I got through I explained the situation and they said that the India rep had cancelled the training period by asking me to reboot the router. So they're putting me through another 10 days. Trouble is, as before, my router has stayed contantly connected since saturday but this time syncing at an even lower speed (~8mb).

PPPoA34030958853200049:08:46
 66402139422900049:28:47
 1234864030584249:28:19
7999 kbps896 kbps
35.5 db18.0 db
10.3 db8.5 db

MySky also says the testing on my line completed on 08/01/2011. So does this mean that the rep I spoke to didn't in fact put my line through the DLM training after all and has lowered my speed as a result?

Sorry to labour this but it'd be good to speak to someone who understands the problem and can fix it. My line was fine for two years at 12mb and my stats suggest it is still capable of that.

Thanks

PPPoA34030958853200049:08:46
 66402139422900049:28:47
 1234864030584249:28:19
7999 kbps896 kbps
35.5 db18.0 db
10.3 db8.5 db