Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference. Learn more about this message
Getting There
RichardP69

Re: Recording interrupted due to loss of signal on HD channels

Martin

I understand that, but MANY of the people on here are not under warranty and I, for one, would be loath to pay an engineer to come out and look at my box when I already know what's wrong with it.  And it would have cost me £65 for the pleasure - no thanks!

My box is now working very well indeed (and there was no need to remove my link - people need educating, not supresssing!!)

Richard

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Getting There
Rob1994

Richard,

Your posts have been very helpful. The TF7 problem does seem very widespread and it is a sad reflection on Sky not to have a fair response to its customers.

My DRX890 box was installed in March 2011 and started to play up in August 2012. It has been getting progressively worse since then. I paid for an engineer's visit in August 2012 but at the time of the visit I could not reproduce the problem. The engineer said nothing about a suspect hard disk and left without even checking my box.

This leaves me with one of two options, to leave Sky and move to Freesat+HD and buy a new box (not a DRX890) or to follow your example and to replace the hard disk in my box. I will risk £45 or so at this stage so I will try replacing the drive first.

I would like to mention that I have just connected my sky box to my broadband router (by mains adaptors due to location of the router) and initial downloads have recorded without any faults!!!

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Getting There
Rob1994

Hi Richard,

I've just gone ahead and purchased a hard disk on eBay, identical in spec & price (last one).

I would just like to know what you did regarding formatting or partitioning the drive prior to installation. Some eBay sellers offer a pre-configured drive for about £25 extra.

I thought this is something I can do myself as I have a usb external drive attachment kit for my PC. I need to know parameter sizes, or can these be found by connecting the old drive to my PC and noting the details?

Cheers

Getting There
RichardP69

Hi Rob

Sorry you're having problems...very frustrating.

It depends on the size of drive. I am led to believe that as long as the drive is no larger than 1tb, the sky box will automatically format the drive & you will be able to start using immediately. Larger than that, you can still install, but the box will format so that you can only use 1tb. This may have changed with newer sky box models.

As you eluded to, you can use some software to enable larger drives by cinnecting the drive to a pc or laptop but I wasn't too bothered about this as I wd have needed to purchase cradles etc in order to connect. Also, by increasing from 500gb to 1tb, I hv effectively increased personal use capacity by 300% - that was enough for me!

Having researched the above, I opted for a 1tb drive, installed & it was ready to use after installation with approx 10 mins (if that!).

From start to finish, replacement took around 45 mins.

Since doing so, I have increased the storage space for recordings cinsiderably & very noticibly & the box is working extremely well now.

Hope that helps, let me (us) know how it goes.

Richard
Getting There
Rob1994

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply which is good news. I have gone for the WD 1tb drive which you say my box will automatically format. I did not need a larger capacity drive anyway as I do not keep recorded material for too long. I just need a box that works as it is supposed to. It really has become a pain to try and watch a recorded show.

Installation hopefully will not be a problem as I have found a couple of web sites with picture by picture instructions.

I promise to let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for your help.

Bob

Graduate
Hiyaaaa

I work for sky myself and find it quite worrying that my colleagues on this forum are telling customers not to replace there own hardware with hardware which works due to warranty issues.Fair enough if the box is still in its one year warranty replacing the hard drive would invalidate the warranty but if the box is out of warranty why shouldn't tech savy customers find cheaper ways to maintain there equipment.One of my main objection handling techniques when a customer asks why they have to pay £65 is to tell the customer that after a year the equipment is now theres and to replace/repair there own equipment it will cost.So I think customers who know what they are doing(one guy mentioned he was an electrical engineer) have every right to maintain theyre own property.

Getting There
Rob1994

It's nice to know that some people who work for Sky do see the customers point of view.

I am now retired and have the time to undertake a hard disk swap in my drx890. I have been building my own PC's for many years and see the only problem being a more difficult disassembly/re-assembly job because of the drx890's compact construction. I also wish to save cost as I am certainly not prepared to perhaps fork out £65 every other year or to take out an expensive Sky care plan.

My main query is why Sky has not been challenged over its 1 year warranty. Most electrical equipment today is expected to last for at least 3 years. Should it fail before 3 years then it could be considered as not fit for purpose under the Sale of Goods Act. Giving customers a so-called "free" box does not give Sky the right to determine its own warranty period which is less than what could be considered reasonable.

Cheers,

Rob

Graduate
Hiyaaaa

I agree in regards to warranty equipment should be lasting more than a year. I have had customers who have phoned up with broken equipment after 366 days. Imagine the awkwardness of that conversation, telling customers about the call out fee is one of the most awkward and unsatisfying parts of the job though I do know why the fee exists it doesn't make it any easier. There has been alot of feedback over the years by staff in regards to increasing the warranty/reducing the callout fee. Seems to fall on deaf ears so the callout fee doesn't seem to be going anywhere therefore if my equipment wasn't working I would find the cheapest means possible to resolve.
Getting There
RichardP69

Hiyaaaa

Thank you very much for finally providing a credible, human, commonsense comment from someone at sky.

Means a lot. I hope people with the tf7 issue get chance to read these posts & find the best solution with, hopefully, more confidence now.

Cheers
Getting There
Rob1994

Hi Richard,

Just a quick message to let you know that I fitted my new WD 1Tb drive this morning. From initial tests, I am very pleased to report that everything appears to be working properly. No loss of signal messages. no tech fault 7 or delayed response to remote operation.. I had to run a System Reset from the advanced Settings options after switching on for the first time as record/playback was not available. After that everything now works great.

Many thanks for your advice. It just goes to show what can be achieved without reliance on Sky. I ordered my drive last Thursday and it was delivered mid-day yesterday. It cost £44.55 delivered. It took about 2 hours from start to finish, going carefully and including start up and re-set time. I now have a drive with double the capacity of the original and have saved the cost of a Sky engineer at £65.

Rob

Getting There
RichardP69

Hi Rob

Apologies for delay in response.

Glad things worked out in the end - I'm assuming things are still working well??

Sounds like you bought exactly the same drive as me & probably from the same supplier as mine cost exactly the same.

Mine has been installed for some time now and is till working extremely well.  In addition, I haven't even breached 30% use of the drive yet, which is testimony to the larger capacity available.  Given the amount my kids record, that is remarkable, believe me!

I hope our experiences will help many others being ripped of with the unnecessary call-out charges!

Cheers

Richard