Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
ScottyB
Accepted Solution

Recording Sky hd + to DVD

I am thinking of buying an hd recorder to back up some programs from my hd box. Does anyone know if the works? Somebody told me that there may be some encryption issues for certain channels using an hd cable.

Thanks
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
Mark39

Re: Recording Sky hd + to DVD

Even in theory, to do this, you'll need a DVD recorder which has an HDMI input, and I don't know of any that do. And yes, I suspect even then, the programmes will be copyright protected.

AFAIK it's currently not possible to copy from the Sky box in HD.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
ScottyB

Panasonic do a blu ray recorder. I assume it has hdmi in.

Sky on their website talks about the ability to back up from hard drive to DVD. They don't mention any restrictions
Super User
Mark39

[ Edited ]

I'm afraid you assume wrong. I've got a Panny blu-ray recorder, and it's an excellent machine, but it doesn't have an HDMI input. It does allow you to connect to your Sky box so that you can copy recordings to it, but only via Scart.

Yes, you can back up from your hard drive to any DVDR - but not in HD.

Regular Visitor
Puzzled+Alan

Hi Mark, I am trying to transfer recordings from my Sky+HD box (in std defn) to my DVD without success. I've connected Sky SCART(DVD) to DVD Line/Decoder input and out from DVD SCART (TV) back to tv. and tried selecting both LINE 1 and LINE 2 on the DVD, but it still doesn't record even though I found the "Copy" details in the Sky handbook. Do you have any ideas?

This is my first post so if I've not complied with protocal, please forgive me.

Thanks.

Super User
Mark39

Hi Alan,

Firstly, your connections sound correct. Forgive me if the following is obvious and you've already tried some of this.

On your sky remote press the TV Guide button so that it's displayed on your TV. Next, on your TV, select the SCART input that your DVD recorder is connected to. If the TV Guide is no longer shown on your TV, then on your DVDR, try all the inputs in turn (Line 1, Line 2 etc) until it appears.

These are the setting you need to transfer recordings from your Sky box

All you need do now is go to the Planner, select the programme you want to copy to your DVDR and press play. Then press record on your DVDR. (Personally I wouldn't bother with the Copy function on your Sky box.)

If you can't get the TV Guide to appear on screen after cycling through all the inputs on your DVDR, then I suspect there's a setting on your DVDR that needs to be changed. If you post the make and model, I'll look for an online manual to follow it up.

Regular Visitor
Puzzled+Alan

Thanks Mark, I beleived I'd tried that but then found the Sky "Copy" instructions but that didn't work.

I will now print off your instr and go and try them and get back to you. 

Thanks so much for your suggestion. and I'll let youi know if its successful.

Alan

Regular Visitor
Puzzled+Alan

Eureka!!!

Thanks Mark, Armed with your reassurance, I read the recorder handbook and found i needed to change the settings for the input of the Sky box.  It now records, for which my wife is grateful having sufferred the recorder, Sky box and Theatre box all spread around the floor. All I have to do now is to resite them within the TV corner unit.

Thanks again, you forum people are so helpful.

Alan

Occasional Visitor
lindaefoster

Sorry can't work out how to set up a new post on this system so thought I'd just add it to the bottom of this.

Have a real problem with Sky+ HD Samsung trying to record programes to dvd recorder. The picture is fine but the sound is really distorted. Connected via hdmi from Sky box to TV and from DVD Recorder Hdmi to TV so have it set up as HDMI 1 and HDMI 2. The sky box is then connected via SCART from the sky box to the AV2 on the DVD recorder, but everytime I play back anything recorded is really distorted. Should I have a scart from the back of the AV3 port of the tv as well to the back of the DVD recorder?

Many thanks but this driving me mad, no problem with Sky boxes previous before HD

Regular Visitor
Puzzled+Alan

Hi Linda,

I once had a recording problem with my Sky and so Sky have notified me of your problem although I don't know why. Shortley someone will come back to you with a solution, but in the meantime, in my limited experience, I have found that when using a SCART socket, if it is not fully inserted but on a slant, then you can experience a picture but no or distorted sound. My first reaction would be to ensure all SCART sockets are fully pushed home.
I hope this is of help because otherwise I'm lost.

Alan

Occasional Visitor
lindaefoster

Hi I'm still confused on the issue I have tried replacing the SCART lead and the problem is still there. 

I think it could be a problem with the SCART output either with the DVD recorder or otherwise with the Sky box itself.

I'm going to replace the DVD recorder today with a video recorder and see if it makes any difference, if it doesn't then I know that the problem is with the Sky box and not with the DVD. Trouble is I could re format the Sky box, but I don't want to lose the programmes that are on there, so need to watch them first.

Super User
Mark39

I don't think carrying out a system reset (reformat) of your Sky will help anyway so I wouldn't go down that route. What make/model is your DVD recorder?

Occasional Visitor
wolverhampton22

Thank you for your reply. It's a Panasonic DVD Recorder DMR-EZ47VEB. As mention I have this connected via HDMI port 2 straight to the TV and the Sky box HDMI to port 1. The player is then connected via SCART from the AV2 port to the Sky box. Wondered as it is a sound only problem could perhaps use a optical cable from the Sky box to the DVD recorder, or is there another way to record Sky from the TV instead of the box?

Many thanks

Super User
Mark39

Hi wolverhampton22,

Are you same as lindaefoster? Your connections should be

DVDR to TV via HDMI,

Sky box to TV via HDMI,

Sky box to DVDR AV2 via SCART 

which I think is what you've already got set up.

If this is giving you distorted sound, there must be a fault somewhere. Try unplugging the SCART cable from your DVDR and plugging it into the SCART socket of your TV. Switch your TV to the SCART source. If the sound is still distorted, the problem appears to be with your Sky box. If not, it must be the DVDR or its settings.

The optical connection on your DVDR won't help I'm afraid as it's an output not an input. In fact, all the audio/video ports on DVDR apart from the SCART AV2 are outputs according to the manual.

Occasional Visitor
FJMisq

Im also having difficulty recording to DVD. My set up is, sky +HD to TV via HDMI, sky box to DVD in scart and then scart from DVD out to TV.

I know that the set up is correct as I can record,but it's the length of the recording I've got issues with. I was trying to record 2 programmes using the copy facility, however, about 10-15 mins into the first programme which had started copying to DVD, the sky box flicked back to live TV and that channel then got recorded onto the DVD.

I don't know what I've done wrong! Any help will be greatly received!!
Thanks