Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference. Learn more about this message
Oracle

Re: Configure own router

@dontmesswithme 

I don't get your point.

This thread was originally started FOUR YEARS ago, when Sky had no support at all for non-Sky equipment and any such use was firmly against the T&C's. Since the acquisition of Be/O2's customer base, Sky amended their T&C's to allow those customers to continue using their non-Sky routers if they wish.

All connected Be & O2 routers were updated to new firmware with new PPPoA login details to work on Sky's network before the switchover. Those PPPoA login details are available across these boards, and many others, for users with non Be/O2 kit.

KingfisherUKSky Q & Virgin Customer  Volunteer Beta Tester  Community Oracle
Runner

Hi, how on earth using own router can break Sky term's and condition's if they send letters/emails to O2 customers (bought by Sky) to keep their own equipment!
Oracle

@Rafu 

At the time that post was made (2 MONTHS ago), the T&C's for Sky Broadband were exactly that. However, since then the terms have been amended to allow for ex-O2/Be customers using their previous equipment.

KingfisherUKSky Q & Virgin Customer  Volunteer Beta Tester  Community Oracle
New Viewer

This isn't what he asked. He said he's not an IT Literate person. I am an IT Literate person, and I DO understand what you are telling him to do, but it doesn't answer his question and sounds like something that has been robotically added to this thread from the Knowledgebase.

I have been with Sky for zero hours, going from the Country's best supported ISP (BE/O2) to the Country's worst supported (Sky). My migration has been botched and I am already furious with devil's horns coming from my head with Sky.

Original poster and anyone else who needs an answer to this question (how to configure own router to work with Sky) which Sky employees HAVE been giving the answer over the phone even though they don't know what they are talking about and just reading from a screen, please bump the thread I will be finding out the answer to your question today.

Highlighted
New Viewer

Configure own router

I'm having problems with my Sky WiFi router and was wondering if getting a N+ ADSL router (stronger signal and goes further) might help.

If I do this, how do I configure it to work with Sky broadband as I can't see a page with the settings on anywhere?

Staff

[ Edited ]

Hi James,

Sky's policy is you can only use a Sky router to connect to Sky broadband, however you can use your own wireless router with the Sky router to boost the wireless signal.

To do this it is best to turn off the wireless on the Sky Router first. If you connect your PC by Ethernet to the router then open a browser window and type in the address bar 192.168.0.1. You will be prompted for a user name which is 'admin', and a password which is 'sky'.

When the page loads and assuming this is a black v2 router, select setup at the top left corner then find 'enable wireless access point' and uncheck it. You then choose apply settings at the bottom and confirm the wireless light on the front of the router has went off.

Now you will have to connect an Ethernet cable from the Sky router (which is still required for the modem connection to our network) to the wireless router you wish to use and ensure the corresponding Ethernet lights are on.

Now you can set up your PC to connect wireless to your own router and connect to the Internet.

Alternatively have you checked our help centre web page Improve your wireless signal which may save you the need to use another wireless router?

Thanks

Researcher

Hi

Thats a very useful reply as I have just purchesed a new router - the standard Sky one didn't stretch out of one room in my place (a normal 2 bed flat!)

I am obviously not IT literate.....will this method still allow the benefit of the new Router - Stronger Wireless signal?

As an aside - how do I obtain my "username" and "password" for my Broadband connection? I have the SSID - but have been informed this is different. I did call the help-line - and was surprised that the technician was reluctant to even try and help, gave me a number of different reasons as to why his supervisor couldn't do it that eve, and eventually lost his temper with me promising someone would call back!

Obviously no-one did or I wouldn't be still looking for assistance!!

Many thanks

Flash

Staff

[ Edited ]

Hi Flash555,

The above method is for using a different wireless router (if your looking to achieve a stronger wireless signal) with the existing Sky router used as the Modem. We do not allow non Sky routers to access the Sky broadband network of connected direct to the phone point and cannot provide the username and password for this.

Thanks

Researcher

Hi all

Very confused and frustrated now.

1st thing - I am NOT very IT minded. I use PC's all the time but no idea how they work etc.

I managed to connect a new TP-Link router to the existing Sky router. For the 1st night it was working fine. Not sure how I managed it but it worked.

The next coiple of evenings, it seemed to work but only after turning off both the routers.

Tonight - the laptop is connected perfectly to the wireless TP-Link. The internet is working fine on the Sky router (I have connected via cable to Sky router to write this message). The problem seems to be that the internet is not making its way from Sky to TP-Link.

I have checked the cable linking the 2 - plugged in ok and the correspondng lights lit on each machine. The internet light is solid on the Sky - but not lit at all on TP-Link!

When I set it up originally - I connected the TP directly to the Splitter. Set up the name etc but then fell over with the Network name / password etc. Somehow though I was able to make it work 1st time aftger connecting to Sky!!

Appreciate it is hard without seeing - but can anyone offer any help??

Cheers

Flash

Managing Editor

I cant give the exact steps for the TP-link router but the basic idea is

You will connect the Sky router with the TP-link using the ethernet cable that comes with

the Sky router, the Sky router connects to the microfilter the TP-Link doesn't.

On the Sky router settings page all you need to do is disable the wireless access point.

On the TP-link you will need to go into the lan settings section, turn off DHCP and set

the routers lan ip address as 192.168.0.100 subnet mask 255.255.255.0

On the pc you make a wireless connection to the TP-link router and enter the key thats using.

Researcher

Thanks for the advice.

Cannot get into the TP-Link system at the moment. Says to use http://192.168.1.1/ but am struggling with that.

Is there any reason why the set-up will sometimes work and sometimes not? I have 2 laptops...and the internet will sometimes work on one, then the other and then neither! The only thing I can try (given I cant access the above site) is to turn off both routers and re-start. This sometimes works - sometimes doesn't.

It is very frustrating and really shouldn't be THAT hard. All I wanted to do was increase the range of the Wireless signal. The Sky router literally stops working at a range of about 15 - 20 ft. I live in a 2 bedroom flat and to be honst - really expected the Sky box to reach all parts.

If Sky do not allow me to use a different Router directly - do they offer any other Routers that will be more powerfull than the initial one?

Cheers

Flash

Camera Operator

[ Edited ]

Hi,

In previous advice we have advised that it is possible to connect the two routers together.

However, while you are making configuration changes, the only cable connected to your wireless N router should be the one connected to your laptop / PC to make the change. once the ip has been changed, then you can connect them and leave them connected.

It is possible that both routers are using the same address and if they are connected together, then it could be confusing the laptop to which router to connect to, ending up with not connecting to either

Hope this helps

cheers

Pete

If this post has helped you, you can thank me by clicking the pink star to give me Kudos :-)
Researcher

I thinks thats finally sorted (fingers crossed)

Many thanks for all of your advice / patience - much appreciated

Flash

New Viewer

Hmmm well i have an email from the sky team telling me i can use another router because the one i have from Sky does not support open nat , i asked about this because me and my son both have an xbox 360 and both need to play online at the same time on open nat and i have the router that will allow that , so am i to assume ive been lied to on this matter as in my letter i stated that i would leave sky broadband if i was stuck to your equipment that doesnt meet my needs ?

NAQ
Viewer

I have a Sky Sagam router connected to Sky broadband.  Is it possible to configure my old Netgear Sky router/modem as an access point as the signal downstairs is weak?