Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Regular Visitor
thierry

RUGBY UNION - AVIVA Premiership

In general the only reason I pay for sky sports is to watch TOP CLASS Rugby Union. I've noticed that slowly there is a creeping reduction in the Premiership matches offered. Some years ago one could watch French Rugby that is now Premier Channel (pay) then ESPN arrived and for £10 extra per month I could watch SOME Aviva Premiership games whereas good Ol Sky were creepily reducing their premiership offering often moving towards 'Championship' and Aussie games (from partner FOX TV) .

I have been checking out the BT offer which for a transfer to them for 'cheaper' Unlimited Fibre connections will guarantee FREE (as they put it ) 'ALL' 69 Premiership Matches.

Is there anybody out there who wishes to offer any advice - (even a SKY employee) ?

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
caesarome

Re: RUGBY UNION - AVIVA Premiership

I am not a rugby fan but if it is anything like football then the selection of games that Sky can show are not always completely down to them. In football from next season BT have the first pick of the games so if they choose a certain fixture then Sky can not show this game. So if in Rubgy BT and Sky are showing games then only one of them is going to get the first pick I would have thought.

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Senior Member (Bronze)
fwiw

Re: RUGBY UNION - Premiership

[ Edited ]

Sky recently agreed a deal to show RaboDirect Pro12 games from 2014, but have no Premiership rights for the 4 year period from season 2013-14.

See http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/15180/8684039/RaboDirect-Pro12-games-to-be-shown-on-Sky-S... for more extensive details of Sky's forthcoming Rugby Union coverage.

The commercial reality is that there is competition for sports rights and another broadcaster won exclusive live rights to Premiership Rugby from 2013-14.

Occasional Visitor
OnlyMe.

Hi thierry. I am exactly the same as you and have Sports purely for the rugby union. I spoke to someone at Sky only yesterday who told me that a few premiership games will be shown, but didn't know how many. I am moving to BT when my contract expires in July. It is a better deal for my package (TV, broadband and phone) at £26 a month with BT compared to £72 with Sky.
Contributor
Jaybee2

I'm off to BT (phone, fibre and cancelling Sky Sports) after the Lions Tour.
Contributor
Geo136

Presumably having lost the Premiership rugby rights, Sky are not going to reduce the cost of subscription, so why not use all the money they are not spending on the Premiership rugby rights, to give existing sports subscribers access to BT sport for free.  Then there would be no reason to leave Sky.

Another thing to be aware of is that after six months BT put up the cost of ther broadband, etc, so it is not quite the fantastic deal it seems.

geo136
Senior Member (Bronze)
fwiw

....so why not use all the money they are not spending on the Premiership rugby rights, to give existing sports subscribers access to BT sport for free. ....

Sky do not have an agreement with BT to retail BT's sport channels, and as BT are a third-party provider, it is not entirely within Sky's control to agree such a deal.

The economics of what you're suggesting don't stack-up in any event- what you're suggesting is that Sky compensate for the loss of one event from their sports rights, by providing free access to a competitor's 3 channels.

Sky will invest in their own sports channels, but no sports broadcaster can guarantee indefinitely, the rights to a specific event.

Occasional Visitor
Pakolainen

So if i understand the earlier posted link, 

SKY will still be showing Super 15's LV, championship games (tho they were not so frequent) Heineken cup and LV, and now with the addition of Rabo rugby.

and from the otehr comments BT Vision have the rights to all Aviva games.  Will SKY be showing any that BT Vision doesn't show?

the only reason i took sky was for the AViva, and BT Vision isn't a possibilty in my region

cheers

Contributor
Geo136

Don't work for Sky do you?

My point is that unless the loss of albeit one part of the sports package they offer is replaced by something of equal value, or customers subscription costs are reduced, people will be tempted to leave.

But it isn't just rugby, the soccer on offer is changing....

...and how come Virgin give ESPN for no charge..is this because they have an agreement?  Well why can'y Sky come to an agreement with BT? 

geo136
Senior Member (Bronze)
fwiw

[ Edited ]

Don't work for Sky do you?

No- I'm a Sky customer, and have regularly criticised them on this forum where I believe they deserve it.

In answer to some of your other points:

Sky cannot come to an agreement with BT, because BT have taken a commercial decision to retail their sport channels themselves, so as to develop a direct customer relationship with BT Sport customers.

ESPN's UK tv channels have been acquired by BT Sport, effective 31/7/13. As I understand, Virgin Media do not currently have a carriage agreement for BT Sport/ESPN from 1/8/13.

In terms of  "soccer", Sky have the rights to 116 Premier League matches next season compared to 115 this season and have extended their coverage with a deal for "up to 500 international matches over three years".

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12182/8712153/UEFA-Euro-2016-and-FIFA-2018-World-Cup-qualifi...

In Rugby Union, BT secured exclusive rights to the Premiership, and there will therefore be no coverage of the competition on  Sky Sports for the next 4 seasons. This may, as you say, tempt some subscribers to leave, and no doubt Sky will have a strategy to address that if/when it occurs.

The telecoms and tv markets are very competitive at the moment, and I doubt any of us really know how this will all pan-out for consumers.

Contributor
Geo136

Thank you, that's much clearer now.

Personally I like a simple life which is why I am with Sky for phone, broadband and tv.  I was once with virgin - never again.  Sky give a huge choice of movies, sport and must watch tv.  Broadband is quick and reliable.  Sky talk is excellent value.  Sky Go and On Demand are fantastic addidtions.  Now here comes the but...but there is only so much I am prepared to pay, and unless I at least feel like I am still getting good value, I like many others,  will be tempted to look at other options, and as what will be a new customer, a new provider will appear to offer a much better deal than Sky.

That said, what seems like a good offer now, will not be so good when you have to pay the normal price after six months.

So any chance of a part time job promoting Sky?

geo136
Contributor
Jaybee2

Pakolainen welcome to the forums.

I thought BT had bought the rights to the Heineken Cup?
Contributor
Geo136

Heineken Cup is still on Sky next season, though there was talk of the format changing.

geo136
Occasional Visitor
Edward+Arthur

I have been thinking for some time of leaving Sky.  I am on a full package but the real reason for my subscription is to be able to watch English premiership rugby union.  During the last 12 monthsI have been frustrated to see that the best matches, including the premiership final, were shown on ESPN, a channel  Sky has been frantically marketing for the last two years.  Even with the vast subscriptions that customers pay, it has now lost the entire rights to the most important sector of rugby union in the UK.  As soon as my contract expires, I am moving over to BT and I will count the pounds that I will be saving every month.

Occasional Visitor
Dan-+the-+man

I agree with those leaving due to BT gaining the Premiership rugby rights, however I couldn't leave entirely due to sky still having rights to Autumn internationals and this years Heineken cup. If I swap broadband to BT (therefore gaining BT sport) will that allow me to watch BT sport on my sky box or will I need a BT vision box?