Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Regular Visitor
Seve
Accepted Solution

RF (analogue) output after digital switch over

I have been told by 2 different sources (who we're told by either an aerial installer or a sky engineer) that after the digital switch over you will no longer be able to route your sky box via the RF out to another TV (Analogue). To me this sounds nonsense as surely the digital signal is converted to analogue in the sky box's hardware so nothing sky can do can change this or is it driven by software ? Can anyone confirm this one way or other ? 

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Frequent Visitor
jay-be

Re: RF (analogue) output after digital switch over

I'm with you, its nonsense.  The Digital switchover site confirms:

"existing analogue TV signal will be switched off and replaced with a new, stronger digital TV signal."

this affects broadcast TV signal only, any devices that you use that have an anlogue otput wil be unaffected.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
caesarome

It is complete nonsense, I really don't know why people come out which such stuff. Can you imagine the uproar if it was true....

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Occasional Visitor
Martino166

Although you received two replies stating that this was nonsense, I don't think they necessarily answered your question. Or at least it doesn't answer the question I have based on this theme....

I have Sky+ on the main TV in the lounge. From the RF2 output on the Sky+ box via a splitter/booster in the loft I direct that to 4 other TVs around the house where it (Sky) is tuned into an Analogue channel.

These 4 TVs are all switchable between Analogue & Digital.

So, when my area goes Digital

i) will I need to change anything or will the Sky+ box continue to give out an Analogue signal that I can continue to watch via the Analogue channels on my other TVs,

ii) what if I get rid of those TVs and buy a new Digital only set? How do I watch Sky then? I'm guessing I can't tune an Analogue output to a Digital channel?,

iii) or will Sky also "go Digital" and from that point the Sky+ box will give out a Digital rather than Analogue output which I will have to tune into a spare Digital Channel on my other TVs,

iv) why does Sky+ give out an analogue signal anyway? Is that dependent on the TV it is attached to? My main TV is a good old fashioned Analogue only.

Any clarification/advice gratefully received.

Community Coordinator
Malcolm-M

Hi Martino166,

i) Your Sky box will still output an analogue signal after switchover

ii) If the set was digital only you would not be able to view Sky over RF cabling

iii) Current Sky equipment does not support this

iv) This is the simplest way of allowing the signal to be distibuted to other TV sets, it's also required for older TV sets without a SCART socket

Malcolm-M
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Occasional Visitor
Brinky61

Had the same problem after the Ridge Hill (part 2) switchover. I found that my Sky box was outputting the analogue RF output on ch21, which is now used for digital (freeview terrestial). This means the new digital signal is clashing with the Sky RF output

Try changing the Sky RF putput to a different channel (I used 31), then retune your analogue tv tuner to the new channel - worked for me :smileyhappy:

See Google for instructions on how to change the Sky RF output. You need to get into the hidden installers menu, but it's pretty simple.

Occasional Visitor
DarrenShake

I understand that you can change the channel the rf output brocasts on, all my tvs in the house still work after Cambridge has switched over, but will sky not be doing a sofeware update so that you can opted to transmit through the rf output in digital as digital gives a far better picture and the all analogue gives is a rubbish picture now compared to the free channels people now receive.

Occasional Visitor
mariehc

Last night was the second phase of switchover.  I have 2 tvs apart from main one with sky hd box and these are both digital tvs with freeview installed on tv and thought I had lost ability to view sky on both through rf output.  However, if you look hard enough you will find one or two analogue channels and be able to use rf output to view sky.  It took me about one hour to figure it out as it was different on both tvs but did manage to get there in the end.

Visitor
COF13901

I'm after some advice.

I was using RF Out (channel 68) to send the Sky signal to other TV's in my house using a Sky Plus box. I have just changed to Sky HD, and still using RF Out (channel 68) to beam the picture to the other TV's, which all seems fine.

However, the problem is that I can no longer see the Freeview channels through the other TV's own tuners. I have tried reinstalling the channels on all 3 TV's but without success.

Any suggestions most welcome.  

Super User
caesarome

I presume you have switched these tv from the analogue channel which you are seeing your sky picture on to the digital one need to pick up the freeview channel ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Occasional Visitor
Mazzeree

Hi Was there any resolution to this problem?

I'm experiencing exactly the same. I've lost all Freeview channels from the DTV option of my 3 kids  TVs upstairs since installation of the Sky +HD box. (Had Sky+ previously)  The Sky feed through the RF is fine if they want to watch the same as downstairs but the DTV signals are terrible and only picking up about 8 channels.

Any ideas greaty appreciated ...as you can imagine the HD has now lost most of its appeal to the upstairs teenage crew!!

r19
Occasional Visitor
r19

I am having similar problems to those mentioned here. I have a Sky HD box in my lounge connected to an amplifier in my loft and it is distributed to 2 other TVs, both of which were analogue.  One of these analogue machines developed a fault and last week I replaced it with a new Sharp digital TV with Freeview

When I did the initial autotune the system picks up the sky channel (68) but there is no sound. If I mess about trying to set up the channel manually, I can sometimes get the sound but the TV won’t store the channel – thus when I switch off and switch on I have to mess about and set it up again.

I have rang Sharp’s technical support but they say it should work via autotune – but it clearly doesn’t.

Retired Staff Member
GarryC

Hi r19,

Would it be possible for you to try changing your RF channel and autotuning the TV again?  In all honesty, it does not matter what channel you try changing it too :smileyhappy:

Let us know if this helps at all.

Thanks,

Visitor
AdeSymonds

i think I understand what people are asking for. To convert the current RF (analogue signal) to a digital one you need what is called : RF DVB Modulator. The idea is that you send your own digital channel out (Imagine a Pirate radio station, well this is the same idea but a digital tv station and only internal to the house). 

Thats the good news....

The bad news is the pric...there is currently only one company I can find that have made such a thing,and it retails at £800.

http://www.astonvideo.com/astonvideo-hd-modulator-brochure.pdf

The price is slowly but surely coming down but its going to need to be a more used product befor there is any dramatic drop in price.

Never the less, you can simply switch your tv back over to analogue if you have an older tv.

Hope this helps 

Occasional Visitor
xxxyyy

We also have a Sky+ HD box and have a couple of analogue TVs connected to the RF output, using a splitter / booster. I gather that we will still be able to watch Sky channels on these other TVs, but we also frequently watch analogue channels on these whilst someone else is watching a Sky channel in the other room. I can't work out from the previous posts if this will still be possible, can anyone please clarify ?

many thanks for any clarification.