Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Getting There
GuzzleGrub
Accepted Solution

Problem with picture and sound breaking up

I live in a high rise block of flats where the Sky+ HD signal is fed into each of the flats via a communal digital TV aerial and for the last few weeks the picture on channel 320, and sometimes on channel 502 either breaks up or I will see a no satellite signal error on the TV.

The company who maintain the system have sent an engineer out on the 26/09/11 with regard to the fixing the problem, but at 20:10 the picture started to break up as before, therfore could it be a problem with the Amstrad Sky+ HD box.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Community Coordinator
LauraMac

Re: Problem with picture and sound breaking up

[ Edited ]

Hi GuzzleGrub, 

There could be an issue you with the Sky+ HD, in order to try and help rule out a fault with the  box, are you able to find out if your neighbours are having the same issue as you? 

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Getting There
GuzzleGrub

I can conform that another tenant who live on the same floor and has a Sky+ HD box, is also experiencing the same problem.

Doing a planner re-build appears to correct the problem, but it is only temporary, because the problem returns a few hours later or when I am watching the channel where the error occurs on and when I check the other channels all I get is the same no satellite signal error.

Community Coordinator
LauraMac

Hi GuzzleGrub, 

Thank you for finding that out, how many satellite feeds do you have going into the back of the box?

If you only have 1 feed can you advise if the single feed mode is switched on 

Getting There
GuzzleGrub

There are two satellite feeds connected to the Sky+ HD box and when I look at the signal settings, when I see the "No Satellite signal" error on channel 320, Input 2's Signal Strength and Signal Quality are both blank, but if I veiw one of the unaffected channels then both Input 1 and Input 2 show a feed coming to them.
Retired Staff Member
Samantha-K

Hi GuzzleGrub,

It sounds as though you are experiencing a transponder issue. The next step would be to contact us, as I think you may need an engineer to fix the issue.

Thanks

Getting There
GuzzleGrub

I would ask a Sky engineer to call, but from what have been told by the engineer from the company who maintains the communal digital TV aerial, only they can carry out repairs to the system, which is one reason why I have not taken out the service plan.

El Capo
Kenneth+M

As somebody else in the block is having similar problems, I would suggest you save your money.  The problem is not with the box, but with the communal system.  And the building management and their satellite company are responsible for that.  Something somewhere is amiss - dish alignment, LNB, LNB skew, or the system multiswitch.  The channels you have quoted are Low Band - maybe the LNB is having trouble with that range of frequencies.

Don't rule out some kind of electrical interference from something in the building on the LNB's downconverted frequency to the boxes in the flats, or from wireless equipment therein such as DECT phones, router, baby alarms, Sky Gnome or just about anything else that radiates wirelessly.

Getting There
GuzzleGrub

Hi Kenneth

Thank you for your reply.

There are a number of mobile phone masts on the roof, and I know there was an issue about 18 months ago with the microwave radiation from the phone masts interfering with the sattelite signal, but I don't know how they solved the problem.