Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Community Coordinator
Robert-B

Please read first if you have a fault

Please read first if you have a fault

We understand that people sometimes experience issues with their phone not working. If you experience any issues with your phone line please check the status page first, to see if we know of an issue in your area. If there is no issue listed we now have to work out if this is a service fault to your property that will require us to investigate or if this is a fault with internal equipment or wiring which we are not responsible for.

Before attempting to contact us please follow the troubleshooting below as this can help you identify the problem and resolve it or confirm that the fault is not internal, this ensures no call out charges will apply if an engineer visit is required.

Identify if an Internal fault
First we want to identify if this is an internal fault, below are instructions to try depending on the type of master phone socket installed in your property.

Step 1

Socket type 1

To help identify the master socket:

Do any of your sockets have a horizontal line above the socket input?

Is there a BT or Openreach logo visible on the front?

Can you identify where the telephone line enters the building?

The master socket is generally located close to the entry point from outside.

It may look something like this:

openreachTestSocket.jpg

If you have socket type 1 shown above available please follow these instructions, if not please skip to Socket type 2.

Carefully unscrew the two small screws and the bottom half of the faceplate should pull out. Behind it on the right hand side is a test socket, this connects directly to the telephone line and bypasses any extension wiring.

masterFaceplateRemoved.jpg

Now Plug your telephone into the test socket and confirm if you have a clear working line.

Socket type 2

If you do not have a test socket available then you may have an older phone system installed in your property and your master socket may look something like this:

Master Socket.jpg

Please follow the steps below:

Unplug all equipment from every telephone socket available in your house

This can include:

Telephones

Fax machines

Set top boxes

Extension leads

Adaptors / double adaptors

Micro filters

ADSL modem / router

Now try connecting your telephone into every socket available one at a time to see if you can get a clear working line.

Step 2

If either set of instructions above do not resolve the issue then the last step is to ensure your telephone equipment is not at fault. We recommend repeating the same steps but with a different telephone preferably a corded phone for this test. Alternatively if you can try connecting your phone to a working phone line in another property this will also confirm if it is working or not.

If you manage to get a clear working line using the steps above this means the fault has been caused by internal wiring or equipment. To help you identify what is causing this follow the above steps in reverse but connect each item one at a time and test the line after each connection. If the fault returns this should identify the last connected item as the cause.

Not Resolved?

If your issue is still not resolved then this confirms it is not an internal fault. The next step is to have a line test completed and possibly a trouble ticket raised for an engineer to investigate and resolve if necessary.

To have this raised please use the Contact Us page to either E-mail your enquiry or use the provided telephone number if you have access to an alternative Telephone or a Mobile Phone. When you contact us please include all the troubleshooting you have completed as this will ensure the fault can be raised without the need for you to be at home and go through the troubleshooting again.

**Please note this cannot be raised via the Forum as we do not have access to the line test and booking system and cannot honour any call-back requests. Posts requesting call-backs will not be picked up by the Forum team as the forum is not a direct contact channel with sky for account specific issues such as this.**

If an issue is raised to our second level support or a local engineer for further investigation the time scale is usually in the region of 2 to 5 working days depending on the issue and location. We will contact you if further information or access to your property is required. After the fault is resolved you will be contacted directly by us.

Robert-B
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Community Coordinator
Robert

Re: Please read first if you have a fault

Hi Everyone, 

We created this guide to help troubleshoot Sky Talk issues, the guide covers most faults that can arise, we're keen to hear if this has helped in any way.

Please let us know if you've found this helpful.

Thanks,

Robert
Community Coordinator

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Contributor
tentimes

No, this is not of any help as the problems that arise as a result of Sky talk are due to Sky's service and not the sudden erruption of mass faults on peoples home equipment that has worked flawlessly for years with BT.

This is a shameless attempt to waste peoples time and of no use whatsoever. I used to work for BT and we did not use this method to solve problems when peoples phones spontaneously stopped working, we sent an engineer round. This is designed by you to occupy thick people while you reset the DSLAMS.

Please stop wasting our time posting rubbish like this.

Fed-up-with-Sky

[ Edited ]

I totally agree!  Our phoneline was with BT for over 30 years and there were no problems.  My dad is a retired BT engineer and he basically said the same.  Get it sorted Sky!!!

Super User
Dsldude

The above process is helpful to identify if the fault lies internal or externally,

and is the same sort of information you will also find on BT's website or in the phonebook

if you are a customer of theres.

Its allot more common than you think for extension sockets/wiring/ and devices

connected to the phone sockets to cause problems, this is coming from a engineer who

works in this industry now and has done for over 10 years.

Connecting a spare or known working phone to the Test or if not present Master

socket is a quick and easy way to identify if the fault is internal or external, remember

a homeowner is responsible for there own internal wiring so its also very important because

for a Openreach engineer to be sent to your home if needed you will need to accept that

if the problem is found to be inside the home you will accept any possible charges, this is because

Openreach only warranty the line up to the demarcation point (Test Socket / Master Socket)

and so will charge for the visit if not there responsibility, this charge is the same no matter who

your provider is Sky/BT/Talk Talk etc.

If the fault is still present in the Test or Master then it can be reported and Sky will send

out Openreach if needed to fix the problem, the customer can be assured they have done

what they can to protect themselves from engineering charges.

Of course the steps posted above are not going to fix every issue but they will separate the real line

faults from the problems with internal wiring or equipment connected to the line.

Occasional Visitor
Jinxysmith

The lack of clicks on the star under your name seem to show that most people agree with the former BT engineers, and you're just wasting our time and saving you the effort of doing anything for a while

Occasional Visitor
Cherry81

Hi, i have no idea how to start a new post, but I have had no phone or bb connection since moving to sky on the 10th I keep getting told that it depends on the engineers work load as to when they decide to fix the fault on my line which was not there for 6 years with a bt line. I would appreciate some help with this thanks
Community Coordinator
Kris+McD

Hi Cherry81

When you first called in we would have called you back after 72 hours and told you if this issue was resolved or we would have given you a date when the engineer was going to visit.

You can check this by clicking here and select fault tracking

Let us know how you get on

Cheers

Kris+McD
Community Coordinator

marky123

who is responsible for the socket/? i have a fault it started over 2 weeks ago and i have had no help. i have an old bt socket it was there when we moved in never had a problem with it with bt until now sky was ok for months not any more i am furious at the lack of concern and help and the fact i am paying for something i cant use!

Community Coordinator
Malcolm-M

Hi marky123, the line rental provider is responsible for the master socket with some exceptions, mainly accidental damage, what is the fault you have?

Malcolm-M
Community Coordinator

Visitor
Mick+Spice

Having read the 'Please read first' and found that I have done everything asked and still have a fault, arrangements were made for a BT engineer to attend and fix the problem. That was Monday last week. No BT engineer arrived.

Went through the same proceedure last Thursday, and was promised a BT engineer today (following Monday).

Surprise, still no engineer.

What have I got...

1. A duff phone line that has so much noise its almost impossible to hear the caller.

2. A Bill for Broadband service, which is laughable because I have never had anything resembling 'Broadband' and now the Router always reports 'Disconnected'

3. Much frustration, can't even do my online banking...

How am I supposed to get the services that Sky are contracted for ???

Frequent Visitor
allly

i should have had my phone and broadband activated on the 21st and nothing happened , have made endless calls on my mobile and still not been told when this will rectified. have spoken to some very obnoxious staff at sky who really do not care and all they seem to do is blame BT. i have had no phone line or internet for 4 days now and i find this totally unacceptable. i have now been told to wait untill wednesday ?....very poor and if not resolved then i just hope that i am able to cancel and go back to BTwho never gave me any hassle for 17 years .and as for trouble shooting what a joke...i never had any trouble untill i signed up for sky !.

Mick+Spice wrote:

Having read the 'Please read first' and found that I have done everything asked and still have a fault, arrangements were made for a BT engineer to attend and fix the problem. That was Monday last week. No BT engineer arrived.

Went through the same proceedure last Thursday, and was promised a BT engineer today (following Monday).

Surprise, still no engineer.

What have I got...

1. A duff phone line that has so much noise its almost impossible to hear the caller.

2. A Bill for Broadband service, which is laughable because I have never had anything resembling 'Broadband' and now the Router always reports 'Disconnected'

3. Much frustration, can't even do my online banking...

How am I supposed to get the services that Sky are contracted for ???

Community Coordinator
Shelz

Hi ally,

I am really disappointed to hear that this is still going on after all this time :smileysad:

Please come back to us on the forum and update us with how things go on Wednesday with the BT engineer?

I apologise that you seem to be experiencing such bad service after not having an issue with us in the 17 years you have been with us.

I genuinely hope that you have this problem resolved on Wednesday.

Many thanks for taking the time to highlight these issues. We will definitely take them on board.

Shelz
Community Coordinator

Frequent Visitor
allly

still no phone line and now my sky status has been updated as activated !  IT IS NOT ACTIVATED  MY LINE IS DEAD !. also i said i had a great 17 years with BT  not Sky !  at this rate i doubt wether i will continue this for another 17 hrs let alone years. if its not activated by tomorow then i am cancelling. i have spoken to 8 different people at Sky and not one of them have been of any help. i have reported this saga to ofcom and will be writing to Watchdog about this disgraceful situation. not even having a phone line to call the emergency services has left me and my family vulnerable....but why would anyone at Sky care about that ?

Community Coordinator
Malcolm-M

Hi ally, I can understand this is frustrating and I apologise for the hassle so far. Please let us know the outcome tomorrow?

Malcolm-M
Community Coordinator