Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
P3K
Occasional Visitor
P3K
Accepted Solution

Opening Ports on my Netgear Sky Router

I have been having trouble getting my new HP Wireless printer to connect to the computer. After much faffing about, the helpful folks at HP have told me that I need to make sure the following ports are open:

UDP 427 inbound,
 UDP 427 outbound,
 UDP 161 outbound,
 UDP 139 outbound,
 TCP 9220 outbound,
 TCP 9220 inbound,
 TCP 9500 outbound,
 TCP 9290 outbound
 UDP 137 inbound
 UDP 137 outbound

I would also recommend checking mac address filtering is disabled on your router.

So, I am completely inexperienced with this sort of thing. I've input the IP address into the browser and had a look around but I can't see anything office to do with ports and I'm scared to change anything. Can someone please, please give me a noddy talk through on how to do the above port opening? Believe me, no instructions will be too simple, don't worry about insulting my intelligence. I just want to print without wires!

Many thanks in anticipation

Scott

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Community Coordinator
Robert

Re: Opening Ports on my Netgear Sky Router

Hi P3K, 

I'm afraid we cannot offer direct support for port forwarding, hopefully a member of the community will be able to advise on this.

Most devices that connect to routers including wireless printers should support UPNP which should be enabled by default on the router. What I can suggest is checking that UPNP is enabled on your router and resetting this by following the steps below to see if it fixes the issue.

1. Log into your router by going to http://192.168.0.1
  2. When prompted enter the username: admin & password: sky (in lower case)
  3. Click on the Advanced tab at the top of the page
  4. Select UPNP from the links underneath
  5. Ensure the box is ticked next to Enable UPNP. If it is already ticked, untick it and click Apply then tick it again and click Apply to refresh this setting.
Robert
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
P3K
Occasional Visitor
P3K

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the reply. I followed the steps you suggested. Unfortunately it made no difference. My computer still cannot find the printer.

I still can find no way to open the ports mentioned in my original post, and I'm beginning to think I just wasted cash on a "wireless" printer for nothing.

Occasional Visitor
FrustratedTimTam

[ Edited ]

Hi P3K

did anyone come back to you?

did you sort it?

i am having the same problem and if SKY don't pull their finger out i'm leaving!

Occasional Visitor
wama

UNABLE TO CONNECT MY WIRELESS PRINTER TO SKY.

Please, Please, help.

Since I signed up for Sky Broadband, I have had nothing but trouble trying to connect my wireless printer. When I was with BT I had no problems at all.  So unless SKY sort this out for me and a lot of other people having the same problems then I AM LEAVING also and never, will recommend SKY to anyone else.

Retired Staff Member
hadouken-andy

Re: UNABLE TO CONNECT MY WIRELESS PRINTER TO SKY.

Hi wama,

So we can try assist further could you talk us through the process you try when attempting to connect your printer to your Sky router?

Has the username and wireless password been changed on the printer since changing routers?

Let us know

Cheers