Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Community Coordinator
Robert-B

Re: Online Cancelation Option

Hi Jackmaster2009,

We have responded to these posts on facebook, however we would like to investigate your experience further so will send you a Private Message on the Forum to request details to look into this for you.

Robert-B
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
ykwong

Hi,

I ordered Sky last year for my mum, and now want to cancel, and have been informed by Sky that I cannot cancel this as my mum will need to cancel this.

Even though I phoned and ordered this to be installed, and am actually paying this monthly charge. They still will not cancel this.

The problem is my mum does not speak much English, and they still need her to cancel this... This has become so stupid, that I have cancelled my direct debit, and will write a letter to cancel this, as they do not seem willing to cancel.

The stupid thing about this is that they are happy to install Sky from my verbal phonecall and take my bank details to pay the subscription, and did not tell me that my mum had to phone to arrange this, so why is it that I cannot cancel this subscription.

From one annoyed customer, and not really planning on using Sky every again, because the customer service here, are not helpful at all.

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Community Coordinator
Robert

Hi ykwong, 

An account can only be closed by the named account holder, regardless of who set the account up, the name which is provided for the account forms part of the contract. For data protection reasons the named account holder is the only person who can request cancellation.

Robert
Community Coordinator

Occasional Visitor
sampher

Re: Online Cancellation Option

i totally agree with you i have the hd package and they are charging me 150 pound a month for the hd and broadband and phone i have now changed provider for phone and broad band and now have a freesat box so hopefully i will be saving money im having trouble cancelling sky tho so im just going to cancel direct debit and then wait for the letters to come through the door saying you owe us money

Frequent Contributor
JJG+User

Sky phoned me about online cancellation a few days ago and a very polite but totally ineffectual customer services person told me that SKY don't allow online cancellations because they are a business and if a customer wants to cancel a service then they want to talk to them to try to offer them a deal to keep them subscribing to the service.

She apologised about the poor customer service phone response times but didn't seem to understand that if customers who knew what they anted were allowed to cancel on line them this would free up the phones for customers who needed to talk with someone.  She seemed pretty low down on the SKY hierarchy and did not seem to be able to action anything.

So there you have it.

Occasional Visitor
mikey+lost+it

im on hold 20 mins now...... looking to cancel my account.......joke !

Community Coordinator
Malcolm-M

Hi mikey+lost+it, sorry for the queue. With it being a holiday weekend we may have fewer staff on the phones. I hope they resolved this for you.

Malcolm-M
Community Coordinator

Occasional Visitor
conned

Re: Online Cancellation Option

Well where do start with a company that started bad and just got worse from then on.  We had a sky package (and we were sold the product as a package) installed in may 2010 but didn't receive all the features at the same time, that would be to good a service.  So we received phone and BB 2 months later which then ceased to work in Nov 2010, which it took sky 3 months and 2 BT engineers later to fix.  Bearing in mind all the complaint calls during the 3 months I had to do using my mobile because we had no phone also have to work from home from time to time but couldn't complete any work without broadband so lost 8 days.  So fed up in  the end I cancelled my DD on the basis that they weren't providing the service I signed up for.  There answer (which is priceless) my contract is only for the TV which is working, the phone and BB are free for 8 months so I must continue to pay or cut off service and send letters also charge extra for payment not being by DD.  Finally fault fixed and back online but during my cease of DD I missed a payment which was then another farce many phone calls and two months later everything working and account straight.  Now were near to the end of contract I phoned up to cancel but because they didn't install the phone and BB until 2 months after my TV then I have still got to wait until July to cancel meaning extra 2 month payment on TV package.  When I said I'll cancel TV now and the other services in July I can't because there a package and you can't have phone and BB on its own. (please refer back to when I had a fault and they weren't a package my contract was for TV only).  So I either cut my phone and BB early and pay the extra charge (which I think will be the cheapest option) or keep the TV for the extra 2 months.  I have signed up to another provider but haven't cancelled yet as I was hoping I could do it online as I don't think I can face another phone call to them.  A 30 minute phone call doing battle with sky drains me more than a 12 hour shift at work and to get rid of them will be a relief.

Occasional Visitor
Justme22

Extra charges

[ Edited ]

Sky have no right to charge me £41.75 extra for each additional box i have, because i don`t have them plugged into my phone line.

So for this reason, i cancel my subscription.....Country is in debt, no wonder............

M. MADIGAN.

Super User
caesarome

Re: Extra charges

They have every right to charge you extra as it is in the terms and conditions that when you multiroom that have to be connected to the phone line all the time, this is so sky know that the boxes are still at your house, it is the same for everyone with multiple boxes.

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Community Coordinator
Malcolm-M

Re: Extra charges

Hi Justme22, as caesarome says this is outlined in the terms and conditions which can be found here. If you wish to cancel please get in touch via the contact us link.

Malcolm-M
Community Coordinator

Senior Member (Bronze)
fwiw

Online cancellation- reversing the onus back to the customer?

Is my experience common practice at Sky?

1. I gave notice on a service using the online form.

2. I missed a telephone call from Sky, because it rang for around 5 seconds (impossible for me to reach the phone).

3  I received an email from Sky moments later, compelling me to contact Sky, and advising me not to reply to the email if I've changed my mind about cancelling. 

In other words, having received a legitimate cancellation notice, they've apparently reversed the onus back to me- to contact them for a second time- if I want them to process it!

Community Coordinator
Robert-B

Re: Online cancellation- reversing the onus back to the customer?

Hi fwiw,

If it advises to not reply to the E-mail unless you have changed your mind then the cancellation request should be going through.

If you want peace of mind then it may be best to use our contact us page to confirm that the cancellation is currently in progress.

Robert-B
Community Coordinator

Senior Member (Bronze)
fwiw

It says the reverse, Robert:

1. The cancellation isn't scheduled as a product change in the billing area of "My Sky".

2. The email states that I need to contact Sky [to discuss], although if I have changed my mind about cancelling, then do not respond.

In other words, if I don't contact Sky again, the cancellation notice won't be processed. Nowhere does the email state that the cancellation notice has/will be processed.

I can understand that a business might like to talk to its customer about product changes, but this isn't the way to go about it, in my opinion. I've interpreted it as an attempt to frustrate the cancellation and may consequently be less responsive to anything Sky have to say.

Community Coordinator
Robert-B

I'm sorry about this as it does indeed appear that we have not started the cancellation process in light of what you have posted.

if you click on this contact us page link you will be presented with a live chat option, this will put you through to an online advisor who can arrange the cancellation for you just now.

Robert-B
Community Coordinator