Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference. Learn more about this message
I'm New Here
robhullfury
Accepted Solution

Old sky box as freesat

Hi, Hope you can help me.

I currently have skyhd in my living room, I would like to use my old sky+ box as a freesat box in a back room.  I currently have a ferguson freesat hd box in the back room but the EPG is terrible and slow and the wife keeps complaining about it. Can I just attach my old sky+ box up and use it as a freesat receiver or do I need another viewing card etc? I dont want to go down the route of multiroom pay enough for my package as it is haha.

Thanks

Rob

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Super User
caesarome

Re: Old sky box as freesat

You can use your old box as a freesat box, you would be able to get these channels:

http://www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home/what-can-i-watch/

Channel 5 requires a viewing card.

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Movin' on Up
Skytime

Just as a side note - you wouldn't get any of the recording features of the sky + box though, you would onyl be able to watch live FTA channels, if you want you could call up and buy a sky free sat viewing card which is pretty cheap and gives you 240 freesat style channels without a monthly subscriptions
Getting There
1joe1

Hi .... sorry for posting on this old question but I can't seem to find the new question option ... but it is related so I do hope this is ok ..... anyway ....

I live in the remote Scottish highlands where there is no TV reception. I am a Sky customer but want to get TV for my neighbour whom has none at the moment.

Will I be able to install a sky dish for her, give her an old Sky+ box and an old blue sky viewing card of mine and will she then be able to get a reception.

Is there a difference between the old blue card or buying a freesat for sky card on which channels she will receive?

She is not an existing sky customer nor has she ever been one so will this affect it?

Will she need a phone line before sky will activate the service?

Basically I'm looking for the cheapest possible way to do this using my old equipment so we can get her TV just by having a sky dish put up for her and using freesat as freeview isn't an option.

Many Thanks

Super User
caesarome

Will I be able to install a sky dish for her, give her an old Sky+ box and an old blue sky viewing card of mine and will she then be able to get a reception.  Yes but she will need a new card, see below.

Is there a difference between the old blue card or buying a freesat for sky card on which channels she will receive? The old blue viewing cards will no longer work for either Sky or freesat so she would need a new one. you can call Sky on 08448 244 400 to order this, it costs £25..

She is not an existing sky customer nor has she ever been one so will this affect it? No it will not affect it at all.

Will she need a phone line before sky will activate the service? No she doesn't need a phone line.

The Sky freesat website is here:

http://www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

I do not work for Sky.
Getting There
1joe1

Many many thanks for the information ... it's been most helpful .... just one more question ....

Will I be able to buy a 2nd hand FSFS card from ebay and install that and not have to buy it directly from Sky.

Do I just insert the card into the box to activate it or will I then have to phone Sky.

I only ask these questions because the installation will be a surprise for my neighbour and I want to get everything to go smoothly.

Super User
caesarome

I don't know if you can puck these cards up from eBay or not but my advice would be to get it directly from Sky because if you do get one from eBay and the card wasn't cancelled or money is owed on the account then Sky will not pair it to your box.

I do not work for Sky.
Getting There
Wendy+Jones

Would I be able to record on my sky+box with a free sat view card..?
Super User
caesarome

No you will not be able to record on a freesat box unless you pay Sky £10.25 a month for a Sky+ sub.

I do not work for Sky.
Retired Staff Member
usman-a

Hi Wendy+Jones,

As Caesarome has stated you will need to pay a subscription charge per month to use the Sky+ function.

Regards